Toyota Recalling 2.3 Million Cars and Trucks

craigdritchie

Toyota Recalling Vehicles in Canada and U.S. To Fix Sticking Gas Pedals

By Dan Strumpf And Stephen Manning, The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Toyota said Thursday it is recalling more than 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to fix accelerator pedals that can become stuck, the latest in a string of quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The recall affects the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

The Avalon, Camry and Tundra models - encompassing about 1.7 million vehicles - also were included in the 4.2 million-vehicle recall Toyota launched in late 2009 in the United States over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. That problem was blamed for several crashes, including an accident involving a Lexus that accelerated to more than 190 kilometres per hour before crashing in San Diego, killing four people.

The recall in November involving the floor mats did not apply to the company's Canadian vehicles. But Toyota Canada said it would still make changes to the gas pedals and floors of some of its vehicles and install a brake override system on some.

Toyota said Thursday's recall is due to potential problems with the actual gas pedal mechanism, causing the accelerator to become stuck regardless of whether the vehicle contains a floor mat. Toyota said in certain rare cases, the gas pedal mechanism wears down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to return or, in some cases, stuck.

In a letter to federal safety officials dated Thursday, Toyota said the problem appeared to be related to the potential build-up of condensation on sliding surfaces in the accelerator system that helps drivers push down or release the gas pedal.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the automaker does not yet have a solution to the latest problem but is working to develop one. Hanson said the company is unaware of any accidents or injuries due to the gas pedal problems associated with Thursday's recall, but could not rule it out for sure. He said the recall "came together very quickly," and said Toyota will soon be contacting owners directly about the matter.

Hanson added that all of the vehicles involved in the latest recall contain a gas pedal system that comes from a single supplier. He declined to identify the supplier or say whether Toyota would continue doing business with the supplier.

"Responsibility for this in the end is ours," he said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a statement that the problem is "a serious safety issue and we are pleased Toyota is taking immediate action to address it."

Toyota recommends that drivers of the recalled vehicles should firmly apply their brakes if the gas pedal becomes stuck - not pump the brakes - and contact their nearest Toyota dealer after parking in a safe location.

The safety stumbles have dinged Toyota's reputation in the U.S. as a builder of dependable, high-quality cars. Last year's recall was the sixth-largest ever in the United States.

Toyota said 1.7 million vehicles are affected by both recalls, meaning their accelerator pedals could be at risk both of becoming trapped under floor mats and becoming stuck due to mechanical problems. The vehicles affected by both recalls are the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry and the 2007-2010 Tundra.

The recall in November involving the floor mats did not apply to the company's Canadian vehicles.

But Toyota Canada said it would still make changes to the gas pedals and floors of some of its vehicles and install a brake override system on some.

And in a situation unique to Canada, the company recommended Toyota Venza owners take out any Toyota-brand drivers'-side all-weather floor mats. Toyota-brand carpeted floor mat were OK if properly installed and secured, it said.

I applaud rather than condemn Toyota for these recalls. Did you remember how hard it was to get Ford to take responsibility for the roll overs on the Explorers a few years back? They spent all their time trying to blame tire manufacturers rather than coming out and taking the heat themselves. They hired the tire company to make a tire at Ford's specs for the Explorer. They would have kept on making unsafe vehicles if not pressured into taking responsibility.

this was announced months ago and as far as I know a lot have been fixed by the dealer network and the matts were not the problem it was the accelorator itself (which is made by a supplier) and toyota is still taking the hit to repair this problem its to bad someone had to die for the problem to come to light .

One more thing the article says that the lexus accelerated to over 190k's and the majority if not all toyota's are governed at 160 or 180Kph so not sure where they got that number unless it was modified .

Lexus is manufactured by Toyota.

True, they are North American made but keep in mind...

The vehicles are ASSEMBLED in Canada and the United States. Still DESIGNED by Toyota. Wouldn't matter where they are assembled, they'd still have the same problem if they were assembled in Japan.

This whole mess reminds me of the Audi 5000 unintended acceleration scare in the 80's. Every single case was traced back to operator error, but it still wrecked a car company for years. Only here, apparently North Americans are incapable of operating floor mats safely.

No wonder there are warning on Xerox cartridges warning people "DO NOT EAT TONER"

its not just the big three i see

well its not just the american car companies. the facts are. imports are just as prone to design failure...

orange-pinto.jpg

wor-explorer.jpg

09-09-29-lexus-es-350-floor-mat.jpg

Sorry but that ain't the same ball park, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport!

True, they are North American made but keep in mind...

The vehicles are ASSEMBLED in Canada and the United States. Still DESIGNED by Toyota.

In California.

I own a 2007 TUNDRA and it hasn't been back to the dealership since I purchased it in 6/07....got the silly letter from Toyota that my TUNDRA "might" be involved with the recall because of the floor mats.....my factory floor mats are anchored down with hooks so they cannot slide under the accelerator pedal....needless to say I haven't heard back from Toyota since about Oct '09.......but if my truck was under the recall all you had to do is remove the frigging floor mats until you took it back in to Toyota for them to probably install the anchor hooks that prevent the mats from sliding forward and MAYBE under the accelerator pedal.........IS THIS THE BEST THE TOYOTA HATERS HAVE TO HANG THEIR HATS ON.......GIVE ME A BREAK.

I own a 2007 TUNDRA and it hasn't been back to the dealership since I purchased it in 6/07....got the silly letter from Toyota that my TUNDRA "might" be involved with the recall because of the floor mats.....my factory floor mats are anchored down with hooks so they cannot slide under the accelerator pedal....needless to say I haven't heard back from Toyota since about Oct '09.......but if my truck was under the recall all you had to do is remove the frigging floor mats until you took it back in to Toyota for them to probably install the anchor hooks that prevent the mats from sliding forward and MAYBE under the accelerator pedal.........IS THIS THE BEST THE TOYOTA HATERS HAVE TO HANG THEIR HATS ON.......GIVE ME A BREAK.

While initially there was some talk of the problem being caused by floor mats, it has since been determined that the problem is with the accelerator itself.

Billy Bob take your truck in to get the accelorator pedal replaced the initial reports said it was the mat but they have now released new info (communicated to employees and a press release before x-mas) that the problem was the pedal itself and taking out the mats or having anchor hook does not fix the problem. It is free and doesn't take long 2 bolts and 1 wire conection prolly take a half hour

First, This is a National road safety act re-call. This means that the car is unsafe to be

on the road.They will first give the car company a chance to re-cal the said vehicles to do what

ever to make the vehicle safe . If they don't comply they will pull all said vehicle off the road.

Then theirs the manufactures re-call. this has nothing to do with safety

In a manufactures ra-call,If you don't have that vehicle you will not here about it.

In the Ford explorer. The final report was not the blame of Ford nor Firestone.

It was the people themselves.

What they found. Is the front tires had 50 pounds of air.when there should be 36lbs.

The 50 lbs is the max rate for the tire they use. The engineers designed the vehicle for 36lbs in the front.

Most people read the pressure off the tire. the tire is made for a multitudes of applications, Not that

one vehicle.

This is why you use the tag on the inside of the drive door. to find the proper inflation of your

vehicle tires.

And by the way. Out of all the the GM vehicle I have owned.

Not one had a National road safety act re-call.

I guess you never heard of the Chevy Corvair. GM had to seize making these cars because they were so UNSAFE. Ralph Nader even wrote a book on how dangerous this vehicle was.