Ice Fishing Electronics

MCTFisher9120

Hey OFC. So I just bought a hand auger today for ice fishing and am just seeking information about something electronic. I kind am of interest about a portable battery pack powered depth finder for ice fishing. Something that is cheap and would get the job done to let me know depth. Am only considering something like this.

Just a little curious as to what people think about electronics while ice fishing. Mostly panfishing with walleye I guess is my targeted species.

Thanks,

MTBF

What about things like this EAGLE ® FishEasy 245 DS Portable Fishfinder

http://www.eaglenav.com/Products/Fishfinde...45-DS-Portable/

Don't understand why items on these site's dont have prices...guesses?

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I started with a fish finder and now I use it for depth and structure.And then I bought an aquaview.I use them in conjunction with each other.I prefer the view when im set up at a hole.My next is a vexlar never used one but I would like one beside my view for comparison.I prfer to see what the little buggers are actually doing with my bait.

Mike, I bought that that model FishEasy 245 DS Portable last summer. Never tried it on ice but during summer I mostly used it as a depth gauge. IIRC Can Tire, Basspro, and Lebarons were selling it all within $30 of each other, but I ended up getting it from $150 http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?products_id=1750

Canadian Tire now selling it for $220 lol

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...ble%2BSonar.jsp

Over all I'd rate it a 6.5/10. In shallow water 12 or less it was marking every weed as a fish (turn fish ID OFF!!!) and givng lots of interference lines even after reducing sensitivity, but it does an excellent job of showing you bottom hardness and depth which I found very valuable. It works better in 30ft+ of water. Having dual transducers was nice. My big mistake was thinking this fish finder would mark fish from the boat and all I'd have to do is drop my lure on their heads lol. I'd need an more expensive 3d side scan fishfinder to make those type of accurate casts. btw get a set of rechargeable batteries 8 AA, you'll save tons of money in the long run.

Edited by Syn

For ice you should get a flasher. Nothing beats a flasher. Remember the x67. It use to sell for 500 dollars. All it was, was a fish easy 320, on steroids. now you can get one for 250. Mike get a flasher man. All the flashers are good. I have a vexilar fl 18. its great. I fished with a guy with a marcum lx-5. right then and there I knew the marcum was superior to my machine. The hummingbirds now are suppose to be fantastic, however I have not been around one first hand. Having said all that I still love my vex. I guess what In am trying to say is that a flasher is superior to the lcd machines.

For ice you should get a flasher. Nothing beats a flasher. Remember the x67. It use to sell for 500 dollars. All it was, was a fish easy 320, on steroids. now you can get one for 250. Mike get a flasher man. All the flashers are good. I have a vexilar fl 18. its great. I fished with a guy with a marcum lx-5. right then and there I knew the marcum was superior to my machine. The hummingbirds now are suppose to be fantastic, however I have not been around one first hand. Having said all that I still love my vex. I guess what In am trying to say is that a flasher is superior to the lcd machines.

OK.....why is it better? all very well saying something is better...but kinda meaningless when you dont qualify that assertion...and yes...i own an x67c...lol

Mike I plan on upgrading to the Eagle 245DS. I'll just get the plain unit instead of the portable though. Both BPS & Radio World have them for $115.

Either build a plywood box or install in a plastic tool box. Add a rechargeable 12 volt battery from Princes Auto for around $10 and your good to go. I'll be replacing this unit with the Eagle.

FishFinder004.jpg

This is how I now suspend the transducer.

TransducerMount001.jpg

Whatever happened to the "dock buddy" I think it was called? It was just a 36" pole with a simple screen on top and a transducer built in the bottom. You could just stick it in the hole to get an idea of depth, might show weeds or a fish or two, but it was simple and cheap.

I'd love something to just get a quick look at bottom after drilling a hole. I don't really have the coin for a flasher right now, but something like the dock buddy would be perfect. I think it just ran on 4 or 6 D cells loaded just like a flashlight.

Whatever happened to the "dock buddy" I think it was called? It was just a 36" pole with a simple screen on top and a transducer built in the bottom. You could just stick it in the hole to get an idea of depth, might show weeds or a fish or two, but it was simple and cheap.

I'd love something to just get a quick look at bottom after drilling a hole. I don't really have the coin for a flasher right now, but something like the dock buddy would be perfect. I think it just ran on 4 or 6 D cells loaded just like a flashlight.

I think you mean the fishin' buddy? http://store.humminbird.com/category/27130...n7_Buddy_Series

I remember comparing its features to a regular portable unit eg screen resolution and screen size and it came out to be more expensive for the same specs. I like the design of it though, storing the batteries in the pole.

Edited by Syn

If ALL you want to know is depth, just get a spare rod/reel (we all have those don't we?) and at the end of the line tie a large weight. Every five or ten feet, mark or tie something to the line with something that won't come off. Lower the line down until you hit bottom counting all the marks as it goes down and multiply by 5 (or 10) feet.

Cheap, easy and no batteries required.

I still use my Lowarnce X55. It's probably over 10 years old and works fine for me. I have used the flashers but I don't know if it's just me but I like the fact that the LCR screens roll and you can look down to see what you might have just missed. With a flasher you have to be watching it 100% of the time or you might miss fish going through. I can't tell you how many time I've been retying, eating or something to come back to the finder and see I just missed a fish coming in on the bottom. Changes your jigging/presentation if you know ones down there but just out of range. Usually those fish do bite too!

I'm also looking for a second unit this year for my son to have and you should check out some of the used units that are on ebay. You've gotta know makes and models so keep it to 320V pixels and 12-1500 wats so it works well in deeper water. I've seen a few gently used with all wires and transducer for way under a $100.

Colour will eat up batteries faster so be prepared with and extra set when you go out.

Eagle 320 is a great starter unit as it has a bit wider screen. Good multi season finder too!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'd vote to get a flasher but they are more expensive. the new humminbirds are real versatile and user friendly machines and are slightly cheaper than the vexilars.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Look in the classified section of boards like this or on ebay/kijiji etc. for an X67C or something. You should be able to grab a used one for around $200+/-. (I just sold mine to a co-worker: bought a vex)

The X67C is a good unit for winter or summer and it's a bit more friendy on the wallet than a Vex or Marcum.

IMO, if you're going to get a finder nowadays, get a colour one, no doubt about it. The 16shade greyscale will go the way of the dinosaurs in no time. The aren't that much more in price and the product is 100x better.

Darcy

Ciceri where can I get one of those in a 100 foot model that will not freeze up when retracted wet?

Easy, you cut some rubber, attach it to the plastic, and it whips the water off the tape before it goes in.

As for seeing when theres a fish down there Super Stealthy Spy Periscope...

Edited by Ciceri

I've used vexilar, marcum just tried a hummingbird and an x-67 last week. My pick is the vex, they take a freaking beating and keep on ticking. However they all work, they all do the job, the x -67 is the cheapest and works just fine. Don't get caught up in all the bells and whistles you'll catch as many fish with an fl8 as an fl20 you just got more crap to play with. The cheaper Lowerence x-67 shows the same fish as top end hummingbird at about a savings of $250. I know I'll probably get a bunch of techies and pro's telling me about zoom,peak-peak watts an all the other bullpoo they use to sell these units. My best advice is buy what you can afford and learn to use it and beleive what it's showing....oh ya one more thing what ever unit you get BUY ONE they are worth every cent for ice fishing. Other then a good auger, I would say a good sonar is next most important tool, except for your rods and tackle.If you want to convert your summer portable to winter use, I found it just as easy to buy one for winter and not beat the hell out of your summer gear on the ice. Winter sonars are built for winter use, summer sonars are built for summer use. Ice fishing is tough on gear at least for me anyway

Mike on my way home from Lake Simcoe today I picked up a Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 170 instead of the Eagle 245. The Hummingbird has slightly more power(1600 watts compared to 1500watts) but mostly because of the transducer angles. The Eagle is a dual at 60 degs & 120 degs, Where the Hummingbird is also a dual but 20 degs & 60 degs. The Eagle just seems way too wide for my liking. It may not be the best option but it's one I can afford & will be a great improvement over my quite old Hummingbird LCR's.

BTW even the old Hummingbird help getting me my limit on whities today.

Rick

Easy, you cut some rubber, attach it to the plastic, and it whips the water off the tape before it goes in.

As for seeing when theres a fish down there Super Stealthy Spy Periscope...

haha mike im gunna have to go with Ciceri..

those super stealthy's work awesome !

but It really all depends on where your fishin bud, if you fishing shallow.. I would just tie a heavy weight on .. and do the "drop test" probably the easiest way.. but its a little harder to do when ur in 25+ fow.. on a bigger lake .. thats when you would want a flasher and or depth finder.. out of the two I'd say get a depth finder as you will use it all year round. where as a flasher.. most likely not.. though through the Ice I like Aqua views and not a huge fan of flashers.. etc.. but I have only used them a handful of times.. and also its all personal preference...

I made this cause i was bored...

IMG_2694Large.jpg

IMG_2693Large.jpg

this is what i use for the ice though...

IMG_2454Large.jpg

any flasher will help you catch more fish...

if you plan on getting one... there was a $150 difference between my LX5 and an LX3... i bought the better one cause now i have no reason to upgrade...

i'm on my 5th season with it...