Scugog this Am

TEP

Met up with someone new from the board. Nice to meet you Crappieperchhunter! Look forward to the next trip!

We were on the ice before the sun come up. Drilled holes. 10 fow. Didn`t take long before Steve had his 1st eye on the ice. About 30 min later another. I iced 1 and a pile of dinky perch. I was actually hoping for some crappie. Never seen one! Steve was running a spoon and minnow head. I was constantly rebaiting with pinheads. Got tired of the wet hands and just ran a BuckShot rattler with no bait. Perch still pounding it. I spilt about 10ish. Tons of ice. ATV`s and sleds everywhere. Pretty busy out there.

I`m guessing 10 feet is too deep for Craps....Next time a bit shallower.

Nice to meet you as well Jeff. Hooked up with my buddy after you left. He lost one walleye before we hooked up. Neither of us got anything after you left except those 4 inch perch that where everywhere. Came off the ice at 12:30.

Talked to Buck at Goreski's when we went in. He said no one was catching so it wasn't just us. No crappies came in either.

After fishing all day yesterday on Couch for perch and this morning I am officially burnt out. I hope anyone who goes out for the afternoon bite does better.

Again the pleasure was all mine today Jeff. Anytime you wanna hook up just let me know.

I am going to Scugog tomorrow , how is the walk out from Goreskis, how is the parking situation now that you have to pay, enough room?

Walk is fine. 2 inches of snow on top of the ice. More then 8...but less then 12 inches of ice in all the holes I cut.

$100 season pass to park or $10 a pop. The lot was getting full at noonish when I came off. Might be a problem for space for the evening bite.

You know, it's weird...

I just picked up my phone and checked it for a dial tone.... seems alright on this end...

:P

Cheers, Ron...

LOL.. but were you at home.. a little birdy I met at 3pm, by the name of Keith, told me otherwise !LOL

Great trip out Jeff... and a new OFC'r on the list of fishing partners. That's the best part usually... :thumbsup_anim:

sounds like a road trip is in order in Feb like maybe the weekend of the 19th? I think I might just be in the area should have time each morning to get out fishing before the meetings and then a little after.

Let me know Mike, I would like to hook up with you too when your in our neck of the woods. I was actually planning on going to Rileys on either the Fri or Sat night for a good ol chinwag with the boyz.

Cheers, Ron...

I went south of Goreski's and one got 1 fish. 1 tiny perch... BUT a huge thanks to the guys beside me with a gas auger who noticed after a bit my blades were dead to come over and drill me a few holes! RESPECT, cheers.

I'm surprised more alarm bells aren't ringing off in peoples heads regarding the state of Scugog's fishery.

It seems as though that lake is all but drained of its walleye. Not only are the numbers down DRASTICALLY, but I think the biggest 'eye I've pulled out of that lake has been no more than 14-15". It wasn't so long ago that Scugog was full of good sized walleye.

I know I'm not too keen on wasting any more time there. :dunno:

Been coming here for over 30 years and this is the worst I have seen it. B y the time I met up with crappieperchunter I was so fed up with 4 inch perch. I caught them in every hole I drilled from 4 feet of water to 14 feet. Disgusting!Only saw or heard of three groups of people getting some walleye. It was like a war zone out there with 100-150 people scattered around the bay at Goreskis.From what I have seen here in the last three years on the ice and in the boat,the walleye fishery is done on Scugog unless something is done like maybe closing down the ice fishing for a while.

I think the lake has slowed down for sure and the population of eyes may be down a bit but the fishing pressure has more than doubled in the last few yew years every year. Just cause you didn't get your limit of eyes on opening day or every time you go doesn't mean the lake is dried up. It's a big body of water and the fish move around, try changing your presentation to something that maybe the fish haven't seen or try a different place on the lake. IMO you might have to work a little harder thats all...you've been spoiled up to this point now try harder....remember think like a fish...smell like a fish...catch the fish...lol.

Maybe the new slot size and limits will help the pickerel rebound?...

As far as the perch, new limits might help boost the size...sounds like too many jumbos were kept over the years and forced the smaller fish to spawn...

Opening the Kawartha lakes for year round panfish should take some of the pressure off of the Bog...

I have a few concerns with the change in the fishery on Scugog. First is all the tiny perch that are everywhere. 5 years ago if you where jigging a spoon and minnow combo...you got walleye...period. Now you get molested by 3-6 inch perch. Also some of the perch I snagged accidentally while trying for walleye...had eggs in them. Is it normal for a 4-5 inch perch to have eggs,or is this a stunting population like the gill population concerns in the Kawartrhas?

Also all my walleye over the last 3-4 winters have pretty much been 14-17 inchers. I haven't caught a 6-12 inch cigar for years and that is a big concern for me.

I'm not saying the walleye fishery is in the dumper yet, cause I got 2 out of my first hole cut the other day...but it is a shadow of what it once was. I think the powers that be need to keep a close eye on it.

I was out on the bog the past 2 days and will be heading out again shortly. fished goreskie area on the first caught a ton of dink perch.. second day more perch as well I was surprised to look down my hole to see a 45'' musky with 6'' shoulders staring at my shiner !

but no eyes for my self.. yet any ways..

maybe I'll see some of you guys out there tonight

I have a few concerns with the change in the fishery on Scugog.

Also all my walleye over the last 3-4 winters have pretty much been 14-17 inchers. I haven't caught a 6-12 inch cigar for years and that is a big concern for me.

I'm not saying the walleye fishery is in the dumper yet, cause I got 2 out of my first hole cut the other day...but it is a shadow of what it once was. I think the powers that be need to keep a close eye on it.

The new regulation changes that just became law on Jan. 1 , 2010 address the walleye concern with a new harvestable slot limit for walleye. No fish over 20 inches may be kept allowing the larger females to spawn as many times as they can.

The spawning success each year is important for the numbers of fish in the lake. Chances are the 14-17 inch fish are from a good year class.

The number of small perch is likely from a very strong year class of perch. They should grow into a good number of keeper perch. Of course a 4 inch perch is also good forage for the muskie, bass and walleye in the lake.

As for keeping an eye on it, each of the last two springs numerous volunteers anglers in FMZ 17 have taken part in a spawning survey of the local spawning sites to try to increase the local information about spawning sites. This information is being collected by the MNR to help with evaluating the population health and possible spawning site improvement projects in the future.

Fisheries don't change overnight but it is not being overlooked.

Of course the lack of walleye on ice, could just be to declining angler skill, at least that's what I think my problem is. :blink:

oh c'mon.

There's been anglers on every square inch of that lake for years now, and the huge drop in numbers is really quite apparent. Once upon a time it was a great fishery even with heavy fishing pressure.

Closing it for the winter or perhaps something like a seasonal C & R only (in the Spring) type regulation seems plenty reasonable in my eyes. :dunno: