Ford Super Duty

fishinfool

I don't trust diesels and they're nasty!

That's why I got the extremely weak/underpowered but highly dependable 5.4L gas burner in my 250 Super Dirty... the 5.4 is only good for about 500 hp if you tweak it. :rolleyes:

dependable ya right,powerful yes.If an engine code 3 or 7 seven shows up your in big dodo,as goes with the 4.6ltrs.A misfire that Ive seen three times this year.All heads on pass side cracked.And visible by eyesight.A mis fire and every one wants a full tune up when they actually need a head on their engine.Id rather have a 7.3 power stroke deisel(with a twin pulley tensioner) than a 4.6 or a 5.4 any day of the week.

dependable ya right,powerful yes.If an engine code 3 or 7 seven shows up your in big dodo,as goes with the 4.6ltrs.A misfire that Ive seen three times this year.All heads on pass side cracked.And visible by eyesight.A mis fire and every one wants a full tune up when they actually need a head on their engine.Id rather have a 7.3 power stroke deisel(with a twin pulley tensioner) than a 4.6 or a 5.4 any day of the week.

Our power company (hydro company in Canada) runs nothing but Fords and the only motor they use is the 5.4L... I wonder why?

A 4.6L would pull Elmer Fudds sick green toothed granny off of a porcelin pot!!!

If you would stay out of the kitchen when your wife has the wooden spoon in her hand you would realize these things! ;)

I don't trust diesels and they're nasty!

That's why I got the extremely weak/underpowered but highly dependable 5.4L gas burner in my 250 Super Dirty... the 5.4 is only good for about 500 hp if you tweak it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a perfect oldtimer's vehicle. :P

JF

So what would you buy instead of a Ford?

Something from one of the bankrupt companies?

Since you asked .... I took a leap of faith and bought a truck made in Aliston, Ontario, a 2009 Honda Ridgeline and I have been blown away by it and the dealer service! It is a light duty truck but is perfect for hauling my sled & boat trailers and shuttles me downtown every day with reasonable gas mileage to boot. I looked at the big 3 and they wouldn't give me the deal I needed, so I went Honda. Only 35k so far, so it may be a bit early for a long term report but so far I am very happy with it (knock on wood!).

Our power company (hydro company in Canada) runs nothing but Fords and the only motor they use is the 5.4L... I wonder why?

A 4.6L would pull Elmer Fudds sick green toothed granny off of a porcelin pot!!!

If you would stay out of the kitchen when your wife has the wooden spoon in her hand you would realize these things! ;)

And if your Italian like me.You know to stay away from the kitchen.That includes wooden slippers when the spoon is use on the brother.Ma can throw a mean curve shoe in a split.Anyway I do have a 4.6 in my canoe(hold off on the typical jokes and you know whats,I heard it all).I maintained it well and its been good untill the tranny went.My fault.Elmer fudd may have been sick, but mine was a great love shack and we goto go someone coming.A great engine and ride.

You should have 2!!!

I'm looking at your avatar pic and wondering what that stuff on top of your head is?... it sure ain't the same stuff that's on your chin!!! ;)

Might be frost. Seems to me that was in November or December in Ohio. I remember it was durned cold.

JF

Since you asked .... I took a leap of faith and bought a truck made in Aliston, Ontario, a 2009 Honda Ridgeline and I have been blown away by it and the dealer service! It is a light duty truck but is perfect for hauling my sled & boat trailers and shuttles me downtown every day with reasonable gas mileage to boot. I looked at the big 3 and they wouldn't give me the deal I needed, so I went Honda. Only 35k so far, so it may be a bit early for a long term report but so far I am very happy with it (knock on wood!).

My Honda Pilot is almost 5 years old with 55K on it so far.

I have a couple of minor issues that need to be fixed under the extended warranty (sticky power window switch and a malfunctioning air bag sensor). Other than that it has been an excellent vehicle. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

My Honda Pilot is almost 5 years old with 55K on it so far.

I have a couple of minor issues that need to be fixed under the extended warranty (sticky power window switch and a malfunctioning air bag sensor). Other than that it has been an excellent vehicle. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

I thought this thread was aboot trucks?

Aren't Pilots and Ridgelines just slightly modified Oddessy minivans???

I thought this thread was aboot trucks?

Aren't Pilots and Ridgelines just slightly modified Oddessy minivans???

If I wanted a truck I would get a Tundra!!!!!

If I wanted a truck that will self destruct at 70K I would purchase from one of the North American Money Pits!!!!! :jerry:

If I wanted a truck I would get a Tundra!!!!!

If I wanted a truck that will self destruct at 70K I would purchase from one of the North American Money Pits!!!!! :jerry:

Actuallty...the Tundras are having problems right now ....engines are dropping left ,right and center ...they have recently cut back the 1200 km oil changes to 6 000....my neighbors dad owns a new one and his engine just died...is he ever PISSED !...

Edited by Twocoda

Actuallty...the Tundras are having problems right now ....engines are dropping left ,right and center ...they have recently cut back the 1200 km oil changes to 6 000....my neighbors dad owns a new one and his engine just died...is he ever PISSED !...

Yes, but I bet they honour their warranties. The difference in customer service is much greater than the difference in quality between North American and Japanese companies.

I work on them all, day in day out.

About half of the vehicles I get in my shop are pickups, all breeds, mostly domestic.

This is solely my opinion and I will try to remain impartial.

Nothing is infallible. You can run into problems whatever you drive. Imports are generally more reliable but often are not designed to carry or pull like domestics (there are exceptions,I know)

Parts were once quite a bit more for imports but that isn't so true anymore.

So my advise is buy what suits your requirements. You don't pull that boat every day (well most of us don't ;) ) You could make do with something a little less powerful in most cases and save fuel in the long run.

Whatever brand you like, shop not only price but the dealer too. They should have a good service department with technicians that know what they are doing. You may need to have good dealer relations in the future.

A diesel may sound cool to some but I believe the diesel designs in domestic pickups were meant to run day in day out to make them pay for themselves (as long as the turbo stays together). What you pay extra for the diesel and the higher maintainence costs you can buy a lot of gasoline. And the much heavier engine also takes a toll on front end suspension and steering components.

So basically what I am saying is unless you really NEED a diesel why put up with the noise, stinking fuel and exhaust, sometimes hard to find good fuel and the issues I mentioned before?

Personally from what I see and if I needed to buy a new truck it would be a Ford with the 5.4.

They do have their issues, yes, but they still on average are less problems than the others.

My personal pickup at this time is a 96 F-150 4x4 with 270,000 km on it and still runs great. Been the best truck for me ever, and believe me, I have driven many in the past.

I also have a Honda CRV that I have been running since last March. I also really like this one. Not great for a long trip but for booting around town it's a lot of fun and easy on fuel.

Take my words or leave em'....Just speaking my piece.

Personally from what I see and if I needed to buy a new truck it would be a Ford with the 5.4.

I always respect your opinion on all things mechanical Bernie, and am happy to hear your thoughts on the 5.4 litre as it's what I went with on my new truck, and the 310 HP should work well for towing my boat which is over 3000 lbs

I'm on my 3rd F-150 4x4 and this last one I bought in 2004 is a LEMON :devil::wallbash: ...

I don't tow a big boat and I don't have a plow on it...There's only 78,000km on it

- The rear pinion bearing had to be replaced at 10,000km.......

- At 43,000km, I took it into the dealer because I noticed the steering was a little stiff....the upper and lower bearings on the steering shaft needed to be replaced ALONG WITH the ball joints and tie rods!!....It was 3 months past the 3 year warranty and luckily, the dealer came through with a "Goodwill" warranty for me :thumbsup_anim:

- At 64,000km, the rear axle seals started leaking...

And just recently, the u-joint went and my local mechanic could not repair it due to some wierd type of C-Clip that Ford used on the 2004 models...he said it needed a special type of tool which he didn't have so I ended taking it back to the dealer and got hit with a $400 repair bill :w00t: ......now I'm trying to figure out what's happening with the huge vibration I'm getting on the front end....it starts around 50km and seems to get better around 110km..

It's really put a bad taste in my mouth and I'm really going to have to think hard about purchasing another Ford!!!!!

I always respect your opinion on all things mechanical Bernie, and am happy to hear your thoughts on the 5.4 litre as it's what I went with on my new truck, and the 310 HP should work well for towing my boat which is over 3000 lbs

You're going to love that truck Lew!!!... what color did you get?

You're going to love that truck Lew!!!... what color did you get?

I think so too Glen, I have a few friends with them and their all very satisfied.

I went with the SuperCrew in Red Candy Metallic with the XTR package and will be picking it up from the dealership later today after they spray on the bedliner and install the tonneau cover.

Edited by lew