Ford Super Duty

fishinfool

I have a close friend that purchased a $70,000 Super Duty with a 6.4 Turbo Diesel in it.

About a month or so ago he went into the dealership complaining that the engine was very loud, they told him it was normal for that engine.

He recorded the sound that the engine was making because he was pretty sure it was not right.

About two weeks ago, lo and behold the motor started to make a lot of really not nice noises and he brought it in right away.

They pulled the whole cab off the chassis and checked the engine. The final result is that the turbo blew apart and sent parts down into the engine which is now totally toast!!!

The final say from Ford is that they will not honour the warranty because they are saying it was purposely done, can you believe that.

This guy has trouble getting the hood open let alone finding a spot to put something into the turbo charger to do the engine in. I know that he

wouldn't even realize that you could do that to a motor and he is not the type to do that in any case.

This truck has 70,000 km on it and is barely broken in.

He doesn't know what to do, he owns a plowing and landscaping business and just had the truck outfitted with a $10,000 Western plough which has yet to be used.

Has anyone gone through this type of thing and what recourse does he have.

Hope someone here has some insight into this problem.

Edited by fishinfool

Are you getting the true story Stan... that plow install will void warrantee faster than anything (or at least it use to) !

Now what, that the last mechanic working on it left in there, did they find in the Turbo to point at intentional destruction ??

Pulled the whole cab off to check the engine?? WTH :o

Hey Irishfield

This guy is a very close friend and I know he has been complaining about this engine for some time now.

Because he has been complaining about the noise, I am of the impression that they are assuming he has done it.

Nothing to my knowledge has been found specifically pointing at him

They removed the whole cab because that is how they re and re these engines.

All this is just coming third hand from my buddy.

He showed me pics on his phone of the cab hanging above the chassis, motor and drivetrain.

The plough wiring and receiver components were installed a couple of months ago and the truck has yet to lift it.

Western told him that the Ford Super Duty was the only truck they would recommend for this plough due to the truck

being able to handle the extra weight.

By the way, the cost to replace this motor is about $30,000. ouuuuuuch!!

Edited by fishinfool

Did your friend when first bringing it to the dealer,mention any lack of power on acceleration or so.These turbo deisels do make a lot noise6,6.4 and esp 7.3ltr.If Im correct the turbo is on the rear top of the engine.If there was an issue a stethascope should of targeted it or even a peice of wood to the ear.With the complaint the tech could of taken the hose off and inspect the impeller for excessive play or even impeller damage.

When the engine started making noise that he thought was not right, he took it to the dealership and was told that the motor was fine that it was normal.

Now because they have a record of him complaining about engine noise, they are assuming that he took matters into his own hands.

He has been told by Ford HO that the warranty will not be honoured.

Haha well if that's the case, what's he got his knickers in a twist about?

He's talking about getting a lawyer and doing a lie detector test and on and on...

He is quite concerned and then on top of it, if it snows he's gonna lose some customers

cause he ain't got the gear to git er done!!

this is an interesting topic.. My dad owns a 2009 one ton dually 6.6 duramax. Its a great truck and so far no problems with the motor only simple things like door locks and such which gm also wouldn't warranty. Cheap parts from over sea's are the issue here, he has owned new gm trucks for the pas 15 years and never had this problem.

Other than that the truck is great crazy power especially with the programmer. It jumped it from 360-460hp the thing is wild now it will smoke all six tires.. Anyways what i am getting at is did this guy add a programmer by any chance cause that would deff void the warranty hands down. You have to be carefull with them and always de program the truck before you take it in for service at your dealership. If he failed to do this the dealership and ford would be aware of it.

And by the way anyone can program their truck its just plug and play.. So i'm thinking your buddy could have done this...

When the engine started making noise that he thought was not right, he took it to the dealership and was told that the motor was fine that it was normal.

Now because they have a record of him complaining about engine noise, they are assuming that he took matters into his own hands.

He has been told by Ford HO that the warranty will not be honoured.

ASk for the insp tech and get his opinion in person infront the head tech,youll be surprised.Im glad I started at a general shop(heavy trucks).I got my hands on everything.Nothing left without the head inspecting the work personally.I would never work for a dealer unless I was desperate for work.I find now that most apprentices are doing clean ups and oil changes thats it.And when there ready too write for there coq.Thats the guy insp your buds truck.Sorry chief I see this too often

this is an interesting topic.. My dad owns a 2009 one ton dually 6.6 duramax. Its a great truck and so far no problems with the motor only simple things like door locks and such which gm also wouldn't warranty. Cheap parts from over sea's are the issue here, he has owned new gm trucks for the pas 15 years and never had this problem.

Other than that the truck is great crazy power especially with the programmer. It jumped it from 360-460hp the thing is wild now it will smoke all six tires.. Anyways what i am getting at is did this guy add a programmer by any chance cause that would deff void the warranty hands down. You have to be carefull with them and always de program the truck before you take it in for service at your dealership. If he failed to do this the dealership and ford would be aware of it.

And by the way anyone can program their truck its just plug and play.. So i'm thinking your buddy could have done this...

I wonder what my 91 linc town could do with that module.Im druelling but I blew the trannydoing donuts and hit the shifter by accident.

I can assure you that this truck has never had any chip or program mods done to it.

The friend is not capable of turning on his computer and I know that he would never

allow anyone to mess with his rig.

I also have a friend who has done the mods to his Silverado 2500 and the truck definately flew after the fact. That is until he blew the motor out of it about three months later.

It is similar to overclocking you computer, too much and you will fry the processer.

Haha well if that's the case, what's he got his knickers in a twist about?

He's talking about getting a lawyer and doing a lie detector test and on and on...

He is quite concerned and then on top of it, if it snows he's gonna lose some customers

cause he ain't got the gear to git er done!!

For 30 grand, absolutely he needs a lawyer. Unless he isn't telling you everything, I can't see how he can lose. It's up to Ford to prove that he self destructed the engine. He either did or he didn't. Let Ford tell the courts just how he blew it up.

These engines are loud no matter what. I have the 8.1 ltr Turbo and it sounds like a bunch of little people are trying to beat their way out with hammers when its cold. Takes me from Toronto to Barrie before this dam tank warms up at all. Great motors. I would not be friendly to them at all for this. North american dealers are going the way of the dodo bird real soon. Customer service is at an all time low.

$30k for a motor with no warranty sounds like a down payment on a dodge to me. Put a towbar and a big lemon on the ford and use it for a trailer and take it everywhere. Buddy has a dodge that has had thousands of $ of warranty work done on it, just don't plan on keeping it after warranty.

This really doesn't pass the sniff test, Why would a dealer pass up 30k in warranty work, unless they plan to double bill for it..

Ford would simply have to prove the self destruction. If they can't, your friend gets a new engine. See how simple this is??

Ding ding, we have a winner..

Tell Ford to prove the engine was intentionally damaged.. If they can't, youre buddy is fine..

No offense, but he's an idiot if he just lays down and takes this...

[quote name='fishinfool' date='Dec 27 2009, 10:22 PM' post='415885

He doesn't know what to do, he owns a plowing and landscaping business and just had the truck outfitted with a $10,000 Western plough which has yet to be used.

If he put a plow on the front of his truck he is screwed. It voids all powertrain warrenty coverage. All Ford has to say in court is there was excess stress put on the engine due to him plowing and that is what caused the failure and thats as far as its going to go for your buddy.

He will not be able to prove he hasen't plowed with it yet and thats what they will get him on when push comes to shove.

I had a buddy with a similar situation with a 07 2500 Ram whem his tranny let go while plowing and Dodge would not honour there LIFETIME powertrain warrenty due to the fact he had a plow on the front of the truck.

Its a sad situation for your buddy but as soon as a dealer finds out its a "work" vehicle they want nothing to due with it and its not just Ford its everybody.

Edited by FUSION

Correct if I am wrong.In the adverts on larger and more powerful trucks whether it is a ford or dodge or gmc.Do they not show them as being a work truck.If they are advertising them as being a workaholic vehicle and can take on some of the toughest jobs.Or are they just showing all of us that they can take a payload of some sort and splash a lot of mud,tow etc.My cherokee can splash like that plow and tow a boat etc.And mine is a 94 and still going.If they are adv that way then the dealer should not have an issue ,they are built to work,not grocery shopping.just my 2cnts worth.

All depends on the model Vince. Ford is real specific in their warrantee booklets on F150/250... Straight cabs only.. no crew cabs, extended cabs etc. Straight cab with full box is the only recommended plow truck install and you also have to follow the other recommendations they have laid out. Not sure where the Super Duty fits in on their (Fords.. not Westerns) recommended plowing list.. Plowing is hard on a truck and why I use my old '98 GMC sierra to do mine.

Edited by irishfield

All Ford has to say in court is there was excess stress put on the engine due to him plowing and that is what caused the failure and thats as far as its going to go for your buddy.

What snow????????LOL

There has to be more to the story here.It,s just to off.Plow or no plow.

that I realize.It is hard on the vehicle itself.But geeze irish a blown turbo at 70000ks or so if im right.and never plowed with yet.They should of got it on the first complaint.Mind you I have seen a lot of you know hows going overboard with there trucks.For this unit in particular I do not know the specs.Is he in the right I dont know for sure.Should he play stupid yes and make notes.As I am always on the receiving end and trying to figure out what went wrong.I never get the full story.As a mentor always taught me there are three sides to a story.I try to read between the lines because I will never know the truth.Sorry irish just my 2 cnts worth.

Sorry Vince.. but all I stated is Ford is specific of which trucks can have plows and still be covered under warranteed.. and which cannot. Has nothing to do with the turbo blowing and they claiming he did it himself. Ford has to prove Fraud on his part.. and as I pointed out at first they MAY be trying to get out of honouring warrantee because he has a plow harness on the thing.

Love being called a "know how". Appreciate that you know.. that I know... how! lol