only crazy people on cooks bay..last years report

Terry

well I woke up this morning and had the need to feed on perchwell not really but I did want to check out cooks baywhen I got there people were already out there4 and 5 inches of iceoften it look like open water and people were standing on it......Jesus....LOLwell I walked softly and carried a big stick, with a chipper on the end of it..note to self, if there is no snow, it dang slippery out thereit's not often around here that the ice is so clear, most years it breaks up blows in and forms in chunks and there are only spots that you can see through itI got to one spot where some cracks met, I stepped there and a few splintering cracks formed and ran out from where I was standing..freaked me out big time, but from the cracks you could see it was 4" of ice so I continued fished in one spot for a while, then moved, I had a fish on but lost itA shock wave (thats the best way I can describe it) can rushing through, you could feel it and hear itI looked around and everyone had jumped up and were assessing the damage .....it was scary ....stuff....the wind was strong and made it feel real cold, so I packed up and headed to shoreI saw all kinds of small perch swimming around once I got under 9 ft of water but never stopped to fish them.....as people walked up to you , you can feel the ice move and hear the ice cracking.........it's going to be crazy out there on the weekend...baby it's scary out there ''baby it's cold outsidedisclaimer: ...I would not consider it safe out there but if a person knows what they are doing and has all the right safety equipment, then they might be ok out thereanother note to self, remember to bring the hand ice picks next time...2009/2010 ice season has begun .. dn ƃuıʞooן ǝɔı ǝɥʇ ɹǝpun ʇ,usɐʍ ı ʇsǝן ʇɐ

Edited by Terry

They say that a good pilot knows how to get out of a bad situation: A really good pilot knows how to avoid geting into one! Therfore a good ice fisherman knows how to get out of trouble on the ice; a really good ice fisherman knows how to stay out of trouble on the ice. I'll opt for staying out of trouble!

..... I stepped there and a few splintering cracks formed and ran out from where I was standing..freaked me out big time.....

Yes Terry, it can be scary walking onto ice for the first time and don't know how thick it is, until you drill and check it out..... did the same thing as you on Sunday.... walked very softly about 5 yards from shore and drilled a hole.......

Measured for thickness and was 5" of black ice B) Walked another 15 yards and drilled again...... same :)

Walked another 20 yards and drilled again...... still 5" :D Perfect :P

Didn't catch a sniff but was fun to be out on the hard stuff B)

Now we got some hotter weather coming our way and hope that does not compromise the ice we have so far :blink:

Forecast.jpg

Go figure, I'm off next week.... hope the temps stay below zero :dunno:

Tight Lines

Leechman

Thanks for the report. That sounds a little sketchy being out there. But in the event I end up on the ice, I will make sure not to eat the McDonald's Burrito breakfast combo so that I don't fracture the ice around me and fall through after an accidental fart or two. Now that would be really embarrassing. Thanks for the heads up and be careful!

for me...if its scary on the ice...I stay off of it...its too cold to be swimming right now.

heres a good one. The Wawa ice derby will not be on lake Manitouik this year. They can't find the body from last week and don't want to take the chance of 300 fishermen out there and possibly drilling into it.

• 11 months later...