Public Sector Salary Disclosure 2009

BillM

More than a few on there that I know personally... and some are under paid for what they do.. and the hours spent doing it. David James... senior engineer for the city of Barrie. Have known him for about 16 years.. he's been with the city the whole time and has drawn darn near every street and intersection that exists today in Barrie. Has no livelyhood...gave up trying to get his airplane finished.. as he works about 70 to 75 hours a week for his $102K. Less than $29 an hour for a highly qualified, world travelled, Civil Engineer. He should have been a CO ! LOL

The disclosure cap should be raised to 150/175.

Edited by irishfield

I had a good laugh looking at this. In PDF format there is about 200 pages with 51 names on page.

Due to limited time I've checked only few pages from top ( alphabetical order by last name). I've found few position ( very demanding, time consuming, stressfull...... just the worst government jobs you can imagine) for little bit short (in total) of 1,000,000.00 $ . I do not know how we can survive without them?

Ajax Public Library NIE GEOFFREY Chief Librarian/Executive Officer $127,859.64 $23.65

City of Barrie BOYD MONA Parks Horticultural Co-ordinator $107,776.66 $293.96

City of Barrie DAVIS AL Director, Library Services $113,409.25 $470.25

City of Brampton RAINEY MIKE Technical Stage Hand $133,080.99 $396.28

City of Brampton SADIQ AFTAB Data Base Administrator, Oracle $104,782.15 $578.16

City of Brampton -

Public Library Board KOSTIAK ADELE Chief Executive Officer $149,307.1 $1,506.50

City of Greater Sudbury

HENDERSON RONALD Director, Citizen Services $115,561.39 $4,865.49

Yeah, I'll go with at least 200K as well. What with library types having to put up with those ignorant people speaking loudly at your place of work....not to mention the danger pay needed to compensate for those pesky paper cuts.

wow... take a look at London....

Notice how many "captain's" we have :blink:

I wonder what teams they are leading.....

I thought we had a police / and fire captain....

No wonder they are whining for more officers / firemen here..... everybody is a captain now,,, who is gonna do the footwork ?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the best on that list is joseph fratesi...sault ste. marie's CAO...

he awarded himself the position while he was still mayor, was found guilty on 7 counts of conflict of interest, yet still retains our cities highest paid job. now THAT is crook!

i wish they disclosed how poorly most public servants are paid!

Believe it or not most of these positions garner a higher salary in the private sector.

True, but you would sweat your balls off with how much work they would pour on you. I have met with consultants to give them work at 7pm, and the guy says to me "thanks you have given me my homework for the night" :o (keep in mind this guy has worked since like 8 am). I also know classmates of mine who work OT everyday and they tell them that they can take the OT in vacation days, but when they go to ask for vacation they tell them your coverage is needed you cannot take vacation :wallbash:.

wow... take a look at London....

Notice how many "captain's" we have :blink:

I wonder what teams they are leading.....

I thought we had a police / and fire captain....

No wonder they are whining for more officers / firemen here..... everybody is a captain now,,, who is gonna do the footwork ?

I can't open the file for some reason, so I'm not sure what your referring to, but just to clarify it for you. Every firetruck has a captain & crew with the captain being in charge. They stay together and work as a team under the direction of the senior officer in charge of everything.

Not sure how London works as I was here in Toronto, but you've probably got 4 shifts, so for every truck, you'll have 4 captains plus the crew.

So to answer your question, no, everybody isn't a captain.

Sorry Bill, but no you are not, your fishing would greatly suffer, yes you may have the pay check and a good holiday plan, try to see when you can take thoase days.

Ask Solo or CC, on how many times we have tried and my schedule just did not work.

Ahmen Irish.

FLEX

I dunno... I could do a lot of fishing on a fireman or cops work schedule :)

Yup, you've got that right Bill, for the firemen anyways, don't know about the coppers schedule.

Long hours squeezed into a shorter work week, but still works out to the same hours as everyone else at the end of the month.

I had a good laugh looking at this. In PDF format there is about 200 pages with 51 names on page.

Due to limited time I've checked only few pages from top ( alphabetical order by last name). I've found few position ( very demanding, time consuming, stressfull...... just the worst government jobs you can imagine) for little bit short (in total) of 1,000,000.00 $ . I do not know how we can survive without them?

Ajax Public Library NIE GEOFFREY Chief Librarian/Executive Officer $127,859.64 $23.65

City of Barrie BOYD MONA Parks Horticultural Co-ordinator $107,776.66 $293.96

City of Barrie DAVIS AL Director, Library Services $113,409.25 $470.25

City of Brampton RAINEY MIKE Technical Stage Hand $133,080.99 $396.28

City of Brampton SADIQ AFTAB Data Base Administrator, Oracle $104,782.15 $578.16

City of Brampton -

Public Library Board KOSTIAK ADELE Chief Executive Officer $149,307.1 $1,506.50

City of Greater Sudbury

HENDERSON RONALD Director, Citizen Services $115,561.39 $4,865.49

My ex-wife is a library CEO. It requires at least one bachelors degree and a masters degree. Anyone with those credentials will make 80K at a minimum anywhere. If you worked out her salary by the hour, she didn't make any more than I did. She was there 10 to 12 hours a day six days a week and worked on grant requests etc while home.

I would expect that salary for that level of education and workload.

IT SysAdmins are paid by demand and depending on the area, the demand can be quite high, so if you want someone who can do it, you gotta pay.

I would say most of those people have a great deal of education and expertise...some likely do not.

Yup, you've got that right Bill, for the firemen anyways, don't know about the coppers schedule.

Long hours squeezed into a shorter work week, but still works out to the same hours as everyone else at the end of the month.

I have a buddy who is a fireman down in St.Catharines, he really enjoys it. My BIL is also a police officer, but works a straight day shift instead of the 12hr ones like he used to when he worked the beat.

TO firemen work 24 hr shifts, two a week. Lots of time to moonlight and fish.

Gov. employees salary may not be as high as private, but other perks ie. benefits approx. 25% of ones salary and basically uncapped pension contributions even keel it a bit.

Edited by Harrison

TO firemen work 24 hr shifts, two a week. Lots of time to moonlight and fish.

Gov. employees salary may not be as high as private, but other perks ie. benefits approx. 25% of ones salary and basically uncapped pension contributions even keel it a bit.

let's leave those pensions alone here - i agree with everyhting that has been said but almost every public sector employee is in OMERS which is a defined benefit plan (ie capped) and anytime anyone mentions pensions (public or private) you have to remember it is OUR MONEY that pays the pension plan. most people are unaware of the substantial payroll deduction that pays for OMERS pensions.

good thing the cheque is a healthy govt one to start! ;)

So as someone who appears on the "list", I agree the limits should be raised. Yes, I make over $100k. I have 8 departments at six different sites, I have 7 direct reports, 120 indirect reports, over 100 projects to be done this year, I co-chair one committee, chair another committee and I'm on whole bunch of others. I'm also on call 24/7 and if I go in, I get paid $0.

So, yes, $100k is a lot, but I'd rather get paid by the hour.

I'm done ranting now.

Wow...

That list is surely eye opening to say the least.

Not sure I can critisize the Pay as I have not done the jobs in question.

But the Salaries being paid seem remarkably on the high side, and explain why my taxes are so high LOL!

Edited by Cookslav

The list does not include overtime is is supposed to be a salary list bt is not reported that way>

I made the list a few years ago making 28 bucks an hour, over 1000 hours of OT as we struggled to retro fit a operational water plant without any service interuptions. The list may have been a good idea a long time ago but its not used for what it was designedfor along time ago