Nasty accident,

Guest timeout

Guest gbfisher

Anybody hear about the nasty accident that killed two people up near North Bay? The OPP were trying to stop someone by using a nail strip to take out the tires on the car they were after. They forgot to close the hwy coming south. The nail strip caused the guy driving north to swirve into oncoming traffic killing him and the girl in the other car coming south.

Nasty story.... :wallbash:

This one?

COLLISION RESULTS IN TWO FATALITIES

(WEST NIPISSING, ON) – On December 13, 2009, at approximately 9 p.m., North Bay Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were conducting a Festive R.I.D.E. on Highway 17 east of the city of North Bay when they stopped a vehicle. As a result of that stop, two officers were in the process of arresting both the driver and an occupant of the vehicle for a Controlled Drugs and Substance Act (CDSA) investigation when the driver fled the scene causing minor injuries to one of the officers.

The driver proceeded westbound on Highway 17 towards Sturgeon Falls. The West Nipissing Police Service assisted the OPP by deploying a spike belt in an attempt to stop the vehicle. The driver of the fleeing vehicle went over the spike belt and continued westbound colliding with an eastbound vehicle.

As a result of the collision, the drivers of both vehicles have died of their injuries.

The Provincial’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has been notified and has invoked its mandate. Further inquiries should be directed to SIU Communications at (416) 622-2342.

Guest gbfisher
Not good... that reads lawsuit (to the tax payers) all over it.

Glad that Leah just texted me 10 minutes ago.. to say she'd arrived in Ottawa...after a nasty 7 1/2 hour drive.

Lawsuit?....sounds more like criminal negligence causing death if you ask me. I think that stands for 20 years in jail.

thought about it. :rolleyes: ..Im wrong about the Crim neg............ :blush:

Edited by gbfisher

Its a pretty sad thing... both young and local. The young man was not a bad kid by all accounts, but made a very bad decision. dunno what he was thinking. It's pretty shocking for our small community, I'm sure the officers that were involved are not feeling very good about the whole affair either. No one came out ahead here.

Hers a bit more info in the Globe:

A spike belt laid on a rural Ontario highway by police to stop someone fleeing a RIDE check was hit by the suspect's car, which then veered into oncoming traffic and hit another vehicle, killing both drivers.

The accident happened on Sunday night on Highway 17 near Sturgeon Falls.

Angele Penasse, of Sturgeon Falls, Ont. and Ghislain Gareau, of Verner, Ont., both in their early 20s, are dead, according to family members.

OPP and the Special Investigations Unit have yet to confirm their names or release any further information.

The SIU has been called in to investigate the accident.

According to North Bay OPP, officers were conducting RIDE checks along Highway 17 just east of North Bay, when they stopped a vehicle carrying two men.

When they attempted to make an arrest, one of the men took the car and fled the scene, driving west along Highway 17.

To try to stop the car, West Nipissing Police Service deployed a spike belt on the highway just outside Sturgeon Falls, which is about 40 kilometres from North Bay. The car failed to stop and hit the eastbound vehicle.

The OPP alerted the SIU just after 9 p.m. on Sunday. The mandate of the unit is to conduct independent investigations into civilian deaths resulting from police actions.

According to a friend, Ms. Penasse had recently finished her college studies to become a personal support worker.

A memorial page was dedicated to Mr. Gareau on Facebook yesterday. One message reads, "He was such a special person that every one loved. We will miss you."

Its a pretty sad thing... both young and local. The young man was not a bad kid by all accounts, but made a very bad decision. dunno what he was thinking. It's pretty shocking for our small community, I'm sure the officers that were involved are not feeling very good about the whole affair either. No one came out ahead here.

Hers a bit more info in the Globe:

A spike belt laid on a rural Ontario highway by police to stop someone fleeing a RIDE check was hit by the suspect's car, which then veered into oncoming traffic and hit another vehicle, killing both drivers.

The accident happened on Sunday night on Highway 17 near Sturgeon Falls.

Angele Penasse, of Sturgeon Falls, Ont. and Ghislain Gareau, of Verner, Ont., both in their early 20s, are dead, according to family members.

OPP and the Special Investigations Unit have yet to confirm their names or release any further information.

The SIU has been called in to investigate the accident.

According to North Bay OPP, officers were conducting RIDE checks along Highway 17 just east of North Bay, when they stopped a vehicle carrying two men.

When they attempted to make an arrest, one of the men took the car and fled the scene, driving west along Highway 17.

To try to stop the car, West Nipissing Police Service deployed a spike belt on the highway just outside Sturgeon Falls, which is about 40 kilometres from North Bay. The car failed to stop and hit the eastbound vehicle.

The OPP alerted the SIU just after 9 p.m. on Sunday. The mandate of the unit is to conduct independent investigations into civilian deaths resulting from police actions.

According to a friend, Ms. Penasse had recently finished her college studies to become a personal support worker.

A memorial page was dedicated to Mr. Gareau on Facebook yesterday. One message reads, "He was such a special person that every one loved. We will miss you."

Iam with you .

But..he didn't kill anyone. He lost control of the vehicle as a result of the spike belt.

Oh boy, now we really have some logic, you drive, you're in control, the PO says stop, you stop, you don't, you suffer the consequences of your actions. I really feel sorry for the other driver that lost her life and the grief the family goes through.

Oh boy, now we really have some logic, you drive, you're in control, the PO says stop, you stop, you don't, you suffer the consequences of your actions. I really feel sorry for the other driver that lost her life and the grief the family goes through.

So by your logic a young man who has been characterized by people who knew him as being generally good and well liked deserved the fate that befell him?

You feel sorry for the other driver and her family but not for the young man and his family?

You're a hard man. Obviously perfect in every way, never having made a mistake or used poor judgement in your entire life.

Oh that we could all be as perfect as you.

Yes the young man made a mistake. But...the fact remains that the spike strip laid on the hwy to stop him resulted in the unfortunate fatal accident.

Does he deserve to be smeared in death? I don't think so.

My sympathies go out to both families involved.

Guest gbfisher

Its to bad that more than three people had to be involved. Two died and the rest will be dealing with it the rest of their lives.

We trust our authority to use force. That being said. We all screw up.

links to Facebook Memorials...:

Angele Penasse:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?v=wall&ref=nf&gid=204745639444

Ghislain Gareau:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=247913456608 [ general public is no longer able to view this group]

So by your logic a young man who has been characterized by people who knew him as being generally good and well liked deserved the fate that befell him?

You feel sorry for the other driver and her family but not for the young man and his family?

You're a hard man. Obviously perfect in every way, never having made a mistake or used poor judgement in your entire life.

Oh that we could all be as perfect as you.

Yes the young man made a mistake. But...the fact remains that the spike strip laid on the hwy to stop him resulted in the unfortunate fatal accident.

Does he deserve to be smeared in death? I don't think so.

My sympathies go out to both families involved.

Didn't you know Solo everyone here is an angel. I love how people are holier than thou until they are put into a situation and are forced to look at it from a different point you instead of just in the black and white they are used to.

Sad Sad Sad , IM not saying I know all the facts and hind site is everything , but WHY didnt they just go to dudes house and pick him up there , they had his friend his lincence number , his address , where was he gonna go ??? These high speed chases never come out good !!!! WHY CHASE HIM ?????????