What Have You Learned

MCTFisher9120

Hey everybody. Just wanted to see what people have learned this year while out fishing. Every season productive baits and techniques may change slightly and completely not work or vise/versa.

For me using a yum dinger changed how I fished, I used it a few times and only caught maybe 2 or 3 fish. But looking at last season that was my #1 bait to throw. Immediately after stocking up on those darn things they didn't even get used out there. So I learned to not buy so much tackle before the season hits.

As for next season, jigs and spinnerbaits will be my techniques to learn and master. After "mastering" popper and spook baits last summer it's time to move on.

Please, tell us some things you didn't quite understand why they did or didn't work this past season.

Thanks,

MTBF

Spent a fair bit of time trying for muskie this fall. Although unsuccessful, I learned to not bother trying again in that place, at that time of year. lol.

Dropshotting smallies, fishing gar, some BOQ tactics, steelheading... those are a few new types of fishing I tried this year.

a MAJOR change for me i bought a 7.6 flipping stick and learnt to flip....

few nickels later and MANY 4 LBs bass on the flip.

whatg i dont understand is how a lake that holds 1000 of pike... DIE OFF to NOTHING!

CMON man its a pike it suposed to hit anything that shines in there face.

also learnt to fish the deep this year wich i never did befor.

So much its not even funny.

This has been the year I've learned more than any other in my life.

My favorite thing I've learned is how to sweep spoons for atlantics, I know if the time of year is right, I can go to any of my spots and hook an Atlantic salmon, thats just a really good feeling.

I've learned a great deal about steelheading, a big thanks to Dr. Salvelinus for sharing valuable time and information with me. I plan on purchasing a centerpin reel and I've got a nice float rod now so its on!

One last thing is just how damn slow you can fish a rapala and how some nights, doing almost nothin' is key!

This year, I had to learn to work new areas in the part of GBay where I fish. The cold spring and summer held back the weed growth, and the game changed. I was pretty happy that I learned to adapt a bit.

I fished almost the whole year with jerk baits this year, in contrast to my fishing bud, who is something of a senko ninja. I like fan cast and cover water, and he spent a ton of time fishing wicked slow, but with great results.

1: How to fish top-water frogs... slow.. twitch .. slower .. twitch and on the grungiest looking weed beds I can find.

2: Flipping the frogs and senkos under trees sideways while standing on shore

Now I just have to undo that "bass hook set" for the trout season that is almost over ... that is if I ever see my float go down of course ;)

Mike this is an awesome topic. I've learned so many things this year...Last year I was pretty simple for fishing (Still am)...floats , jighead, and crankbaits.....

This year I've Learned to use:

Senkos texas skin rigged for LMB in the weeds

Adding a Fluoro Leader to different techniques

Topwater poppers - I still havent caught a fish on the frog, so I can't say I've learned it yet

drive a canoe on a trolling motor :)

Remotely learned how to fish for steelhead

And after the season closed, I'm learning how to use a baitcaster and to flip and pitch with it...Far from accurate, and don't have ANY experiences on the water.

Next year I want to:

Be Accurate with flipping and pitching

Use a spinnerbait / buzzbait effectively

Catch a fish with the frog

Punch heavy mat cover for bass

This year I fished more than ever. With that, endless amounts of info digestion occured.

1) Texas Rigging Plastic Crayfish for Smallies!!!

2) Reading River Water

3) Improved my Jigging Techniques

4) Stealheading. Way too much to write. The amount to learn is endless.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on the board and a special shout out

to Highdrifter, Wallacio, Stonefly, BillM, DMASSE and Twocoda.

I learned that after you spend a lot of money on a new boat that you catch a lot less fish.

LOL...I also got a new boat late in the season...used it on a local lake with the "wife" and watched her catch a 20" Largemouth on our first trip out...two lessons learned...that lake has some awesome fish in it and never underestimate the fairer sex when it comes to fishing skill/luck!!

Also regained my love of late fall steelheading...haven't had the time the last four years...this year with some extra time off work and favourable conditions, have had an awesome time on the rivers!

Let's see...

I've learned to not scoop up a young Otter in my net while he's swimming by. :blink:

The little guy was fast as lightening!!! He crawled out of the net in a flash ran down the handle onto

my arm [ that's when I screamed like an 8 year old school girl :blush: ] then used my right shoulder as a launch pad to dive back into the water !!! :w00t:

The kids laughed their :asshat:s off at Me.

It scared the crap outta me, as if I had scooped up a Black Bear.

I will never do that again... Now looking back ..That little critter could have caused damage had he decided to attack my face on the way by.

RFS

:canadian:

I learned a lot this year!

1. Beef jerky is fine boat fare! Thanks Gerritt!

2. Terry can't catch a fish through the ice for love nor money!

3. Always leave the worms in the cottage!

4. Cliff's a jinx!

5. There are no fish in Temagami!

6. Chasing "Lemon Drops" with a Gin and Tonic does not put you in the best frame of mind for an early rise the next morning.

7. Bernie make the best jigs... period!

8. I'm a Tool!

HH

I completely got away from live bait in favour of scented plastics. Worm hooks and texas-style rigging.

Fluorocarbon leaders tied to the mainline with a good quality swivel.

Top-waters, top-waters, top-waters.

I looked for and found fish in areas I previously considered nothing-water. That's always fun and helped me see there were opportunities I was ignoring.

I've always loved fishing, been crazy about it really. But this year aside from how my skills progressed, I took my enjoyment and appreciation for the whole sport to a new level. I just love doing it more than I ever have, and I didn't think that was possible.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I really gained some more valuable experience with steelhead. In past years, where I spent perhaps 4-5 trips out for steel, this year I likely spend at least 30-40 days on the water for steel alone between the spring and fall season. Getting better at reading water and reading my float meant that I was able to put fish on shore on just about every trip out this year, a feat I'd never accomplished. I've also learned how to tie fishing rods, a skill which I intend to put to use in all types of fishing...