Power Auger

Fishnwire

I can't think of any reason I should buy a 10 inch instead of just an 8 inch power auger. I suppose ten inch holes freeze over a little slower, but the 10" augers are more money, heavier, and more effort is required when drilling. Also, my thermal tip-ups are 10 inches in diameter, they won't work.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have any input?

with a 10 '' auger you have more chance of landing a fish when they get to the ice.

meanning they wont bump there head on the edges.

but on the other hand if your carefull and take your time while fighting the fish an 8 '' hole if perfect.

we have a 9'' i think.... i used to make 6 '' hole.

losing alot on the 6 '' 9 inch more % of landing them.

Guest gbfisher

Get a 10". Nothing like having a window to see whats coming up through the hole. The only issue with a 10" is that most peoples foot will fit through a 10 inch hole. Just remember where theyare is all....lol You should always keep your eyes open on the ice and be aware of the conditions around you...including the 10" holes.... :lol::rolleyes:

Not that I have ever put my foot in a hole just drilled 30 seconds earlier..... :blush:

Depends on what yer fishin for. If its crappy and perch you are after, buy a Normark Fin-Bore III 6" hand auger.

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

shouldnt be fishing? I guess you walk into open holes a lot................. :lol:

Maybe you shouldnt be on the ice...... ;)

Edited by gbfisher

Maybe I should have done a poll. Too late now I guess. People seem to have a definite opinion either way, I appreciate the input but the difference in opinion is giving me second thoughts.

I hadn't thought about the issue of a foot going through, that's something to think about.

Does a 10 inch hole freeze over a lot slower than a 8 incher?

What do you fish for through the ice? If you like to chase big pike and lakers, go with a 10". A lot easier to steer them up into the hole. If you have a snowmachine/Quad then don't worry about the extra weight. The extra time to drill the hole between power 8 and 10" augers is a non-factor. I believe you're supposed to flag (with a stick) any 10" holes in the ice so ppl don't step in them. They'll freeze over just as fast.... but at the end of a cold day you're 10" hole will be 8" lol. 10" is my weapon! Also a lot more room for the transducer in a 10" hole.

Edited by BenBeattie

Guest gbfisher
Does a 10 inch hole freeze over a lot slower than a 8 incher?

They freeze the same. They also freeze in from the sides as well.

You have to keep your eyes open when yer out on the ice. An open 10" hole or old hut hole or a crack in the ice. It changes all the time. Going out and when you came back in off the ice. You should always be aware.. Simple ice safety if you ask me.

You can never be too safe.

I have nothing against people who buy and use 10 inch augers, but in the end I wish they didn't make them over 8 inches... my 3 year old can almost fit through a 10 inch hole! Last year we were ice fishing and she was following behind me...go figure she fell through somebody's old hole that had iced over and been dusted with snow the night before... She only ended up with a soaked leg up to her waist, but I've never been so scared in my life!

Personally I think 8 inches is plenty, and if I didn't get an 8 inch auger for christmas last year, I'd be using a 4 inch auger for panfishing.

Good luck with your purchase!

Guest gbfisher

Personally. I wouldnt take a trhee year old out onto the ice with out tieing them off to me first. I'd never forgive myself if I turned around only seconds later and they were gone. A float suit of some kind might help. Never trust the ice. That'd be the first mistake.

I can't believe anyone would walk out on any ice and think that they won't go through.

Edited by gbfisher

Personally. I wouldnt take a trhee year old out onto the ice with out tieing them off to me first. I'd never forgive myself if I turned around only seconds later and they were gone. A float suit of some kind might help. Never trust the ice. That'd be the first mistake.

I can't believe anyone would walk out on any ice and think that they won't go through.

It's all part of being a newbie to the ice. My wife and mother-in-law were walking behind my daughter on 8 inches of solid ice. I was even fishing that spot the day before, and left my holes properly marked, but somebody with a 10 in auger came behind me later in the day and drilled some more of their own. The reason I was walking ahead was to make sure the path was a-ok, but my steps are much larger than hers so she happened to step in an iced over hole that I had stepped over. My wife grabbed her, but I did learn a lesson that day. You can never be to safe..

There's no such thing as a float suit for a kid who weighs 25lbs, so I will do as you suggested and tie her off to myself. I'm even going to try having her wear her life jacket, but I know that won't go over well when she's all bundelled up.

Cheers,

UF