bitsmith & headhunter quinte report.

Bitsmith2k

This would be my third time up to Quinte for a G2G.. hadn’t caught a fish there yet so I was more or less looking forward to having a few drinks without having to sort out a screaming kid, than I was to catching fish. I was also a little worried about fishing the bay out of my little rig, but Headhunter assured me, “we’d be fine”.

Picked Headhunter up around 9.30am on Friday.. had a pretty uneventful drive up to Perfect View, though I learned some interesting new things about lama’s and goats. Along with some stuff about band camp, and a tuba. Upon finding out about my career bad luck on the bay, Joe said I could take the first rod that went off.. Didn’t think much of it, no way we were going to catch a thing anyways.

By the time we were all unpacked and ready to go, we figured we’d only get about an hour in before it was too dark. We marked fish a short ride from the camp so we put out our rigs. We had about a half hour of Headhunter tricking me with “THERES! A nice cottage” and “THERES! Not a fish on that line”. He finally looks at the starboard rod and calmly says “I got one here”. Ya, like I was going to buy that. I figured it was another one of his tricks. get me to stand up, grab the rod and say “Got ya!”… Seriously I wasn’t going to fall for it...... ok i bit... grabbed the rod and Joe talked me through bringing in my first Quinte ‘eye. A little 4.5lbs girl..

DSCN2828.jpg

That night I celebrated… We’d set out a chair in memory of Gerritt.. I had the intention of preventing anyone from sitting in it for the weekend.. I failed.. We had a nice visit from two Lloyd's, two Irishfields, two Terry's and two dano's.. i could have been seeing double though. One of the Lloyds made himself at home in Gerritt's chair.. Sorry G, the motivation was there to say something, but I lost all advanced motor functions a couple minutes after they arrived. then did my best turnip impersonation the rest of the time they were there..

Irishfield learned from last years visit and came fully prepared.

DSCN2829.jpg

Gerritt's Chair (with the yellow sheet on it)

DSCN2857.jpg

Next morning Headhunter and I started Me and YOU fishing charters.. We were up and on the water at Mike O’Clock (read: 9.30).. Didn’t take us long to get the first fish.. a dirty, stinking pike.. he stuck around just long enough to cause a huge mess of hooks and net.. he was released without a picture.. stupid pike.. Quickly changed that lure to something that I thought looked nice… Didn’t know what it was, but it was in my box for a reason. Asked Headhunter what he thought of it.. Apparently it doesn’t work anymore, I was less than optimistic when he said “that thing hasn’t got a fish on Quinte in 10 years”.. I didn’t care, it was going on.. within an hour or two we were both running it..

We had a good day on the water, lots of fish for the both of us, a lot of Headhunter calling Irishfield and Wil.. (“Where’s Wil?” seemed to be asked a couple hundred times through the day)

Here’s some of Saturdays fish ranging from 5-11 lbs

DSCN2831.jpg

DSCN2832.jpg

DSCN2834.jpg

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2841.jpg

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2846.jpg

DSCN2848.jpg

Sunday, miraculously we both got up early.. lots of fog, didnt matter, we weren’t going far. About 500 yards off the dock and I’m completely lost.. good thing for Headhunter auto pilot pointing me which way to go.. finally broke out the gps, just to comfort me.. didn’t really help all that much because when the fog lifted we were nowhere near where I thought we were.. in fact we’d probably been trolling back and forth over our hot spot the entire time.

We’re not going to talk about that one fish eh Headhunter?

sunday fog:

DSCN2849.jpg

Anyways, to save the boat from a skunking, Headhunter picks up our biggest of the weekend at 12lbs. that was the only fish that made it to the boat on Sunday.

DSCN2854.jpg

DSCN2855.jpg

bunch of other boats out sunday when the fog cleared:

DSCN2851.jpg

HH can add more if he wants, i've probably forgotten quite a bit..

What a great report! I hate it when Joe does that too.. especially when all is quiet in the boat and I am working out life's dilemmas in my head! LOL! make for good laughs though! Nice to see you guys got into a few as well.. thank you guys for thinking of me and trying to hold my seat in my honour.... trust me guys I was there in spirit! This weekend was fairly trying... needless to say I could think of a better way to spend my weekend.

G.

Thanks for posting that Mike... it would have taken me until the next GTG to get it done.

I had a blast, in our cosey little cottage for two! LMAO

We found a section of water that was holding active fish. By inlarge, most of the fish we marked, had their noses in the mud... but in one particular spot, we found big marks 10 ft off the bottom and it was at that hump, if you will, that we beat the crap out of most of the time.

All our fish were caught within 15 ft of the surface, except one, which was caught down around 20ft. All fish were caught on "The Doctor" except for the deep fish, which was caught on a "Power Dive", in hot Perch.

The real keys to our success were two fold... obviously finding active fish was huge, but, I think our speed was the real difference maker for us.... we were originally trolling at about 1.5 to 1.75 mph, but we decided to try slowing down and that was what got us going... .75 to 1 mph netted us our first fish, within minutes of slowing down.

Mike, had a blast, would do it again in a second! Oh, and having active fish within 300 yds of your COTTAGE, sure didn't hurt.

So this one time, at band camp...

HH

BTW - the folks at Perfect Vue are not very pleased with the OFNer's who bailed on them two days before they were due to arrive. They had TURNED DOWN paying customers to keep your reservations and ended up with a mostly empty camp. Mike and I had to listen to her as we checked out and it was a far less then exhilarating experience.

WELL LIKE ALWAYS JOE IT WAS A BLAST DRINKING DROPS WITH YOU LOL IM SORRY I PUT YOUR PARTNER IN A COMA FRIDAY NIGHT LOL I LOOK FOWARD TO THE DAY WE CAN HOOK UP AGAIN AND DO SOME FISHING. I THINK IM GOING TO TRY AND SET SOMETHING UP THIS WINTER CLOSE BY SO WE CAN ALL HOOK UP. I HAVE A LAKE THAT I DO WELL ON WILL SEE IF THEY HAVE A CABIN WE CAN RENT FOR A 3 DAY WEEKEND THIS WINTER AND DRINK DROPS TILL THE SUN COMES UP AND THEN FISH ALL DAY LOL

Excellent report, pics, and fish Smitty!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

It looks like you and Joe had a very romantic weekend... with the fish!!! ;)

Thanks for posting that Mike... it would have taken me until the next GTG to get it done.

I had a blast, in our cosey little cottage for two! LMAO

We found a section of water that was holding active fish. By inlarge, most of the fish we marked, had their noses in the mud... but in one particular spot, we found big marks 10 ft off the bottom and it was at that hump, if you will, that we beat the crap out of most of the time.

All our fish were caught within 15 ft of the surface, except one, which was caught down around 20ft. All fish were caught on "The Doctor" except for the deep fish, which was caught on a "Power Dive", in hot Perch.

The real keys to our success were two fold... obviously finding active fish was huge, but, I think our speed was the real difference maker for us.... we were originally trolling at about 1.5 to 1.75 mph, but we decided to try slowing down and that was what got us going... .75 to 1 mph netted us our first fish, within minutes of slowing down.

Mike, had a blast, would do it again in a second! Oh, and having active fish within 300 yds of your COTTAGE, sure didn't hurt.

So this one time, at band camp...

HH

BTW - the folks at Perfect Vue are not very pleased with the OFNer's who bailed on them two days before they were due to arrive. They had TURNED DOWN paying customers to keep your reservations and ended up with a mostly empty camp. Mike and I had to listen to her as we checked out and it was a far less then exhilarating experience.

Very informative post Joe! The info on changing the speed was a great tip!!!

So many people are set in their ways/stubborn and won't vary from what is thought to be the "norm"... little differences like that can really be the key sometimes!

Lloyd, a trip locally in the winter sounds like fun! I'll buy a crate of lemons!

Bernie... we just may have to try some trolling up at your place... just before hell freezes over! Old school Bernie, old school!

GDC... we were romancing the pickereyes!

HH