finally got my deer

brkygetr

So I have been hunting an area for the past 3 weeks after giving up on the freaking moose....spent way way to much time and money chasing those bush-cattle.

Anyways like I said I have been hunting the same little chunk of bush for 3 weeks looking for a 14 point my old man saw during opening week of moose season. I have seen him twice since that. The first time he bolted across in front of me after a doe giving me about 1.8 seconds to shoot....needless to say I didn't. The second time was today, 100 yards, clear field of vision and looking at me for over a minute...once again I couldn't shoot. :wallbash: !!!!!!

Reason being I had just shot his offspring 10 minutes prior....so I'll back up the story here...

Went in this morning (4km walk) and was in by 8:10. Spent 10 minutews breaking branches and basically making a hell of a lot of noise so that I would have clear shooting lanes all the way around me. I was tucked into a clump of spruce in an old winter-cut. After getting settled I started into a 3 minute rattling session with a few grunts mixed in, once again made a hell of a lot of noise. After that gave a doe bleat, followed by another 1 minute later.

Its now approx 8:27.

I hadn't even moved my legs yet or really settled in and a flash of movement out of the periferal of my right side startles me.

At 3, and yes I mean 3 yards this buck comes to a full fledge halt off my right side. He knew EXACTLY where that bleat had come from and I think was a little confused when he saw the outline of an orange coat instead of a yummy doe.

So after I realized what was going on I knew he was not the deer I was looking for but thought I would try to bring the gun up to see what happened. He kept bobbing his head to the ground trying to get a scent which allowed me to get the crosshairs on his chest, still at 3 yards.

At this point he knew something was up so slowly turned and started away, all I could see was grey. I was going to let him walk but he decided to turn broadside at 10 yards and start the head bob thing again....

Now like I said I have spent way too much time and money over the last month, and I really just wanted it over......

So....180 grains of 30'06 later at 10 yards he was done.

I had a smoke, and calmed down after watching him run 30 yards and then crumple.

It's now 8:29.

I walk over to him and figure out my plan....I am 4 km back in the bush, almost 100 km from home by road, he's going to be about 170-190 dressed, and thats a LONG drag out. So i am going back too town to get a buddies bike to get him out. I decided not to gut him right then as I don't want the scent of blood wafting all through the bush while I am gone for 4-5 hours. Tag him and then start to cover him up with slash and brush so the ravens and wolves will have to work if they want a free meal....

This is when I see him (the big-guy) for the second time....

As I am moving around and covering this guy up I look up and 100 yards away this massive 14 is just standing there looking at me, his rack is very similar in style to the one I just shot so I assume he was the daddy....and once again I couldn't shoot. We watched each other for about a minute and then he turned tail and was gone.

I had a good look at him though, he's got a few years left in him and I'll be back next fall.

Anyways long-winded but here's the result.....

6 point wide and shallow, technically 9, but basically a 6.

deer09002.jpg

deer09004.jpg

deer09007.jpg

deer09009.jpg

deer09010.jpg

Good call on taking that Buck. Saved you walking out there ten more times. I am at that point now too, whoever stands broadside to me is going to catch an arrow. If he is the baby, I would love to see a picture of the 14 point. Great report. Thanks for sharing.

i say 2 weeks!

I say next weekend or sooner, before the ice starts to skim, talked to guy who was hunting up that way and he got 4 decent fish off shore with a beat up old mepps!!!!....and this guy really wasn't a fisherman???

What do you think?

Nice buck Dale congrats

Great story as well I was expecting something smaller than that.

Where did you see the bucks out my way today?

Figures you see deer between 2-3 the exact time I am sitting in Boston Pizza with the family and in-laws

Anyways........................................... so where did you say you saw that 14 point? :whistling:

again congrats

Rick