Bell Satelite TV Package

Fishnwire

I just signed up for a satelite TV from Bell. One of the main reasons I did so was to get WFN, and I never would have been interested if I hadn't read OFNers talking about the service and seen the ads for shows right here on this site. In at least this one instance, an OFC sponsor effectively reached their target market. Hopefully that testimonal will give the admins leverage to double their add fees. :P;):D

Anyway, the reason for the post is this. I've got a 5900 PVR but from what I can tell, it is not possible to watch one show while recording another. Is this correct? Even VCRs from the 80's could do that. I went through the manual and I noticed you can record one show while watching a recording of another show but there was no mention of recording one show while watching a live program on another channel. I tried doing so but if I'm recording and attempt to switch channels it says "This function can only be carried out in live mode, Switch now?" And if I do switch, the recording stops. It seems unlikely that the technology to allow watching one show while recording another does not exist...what were they thinking?

Edited by Fishnwire

The receiver can only be on one channel at a time, can't do picture in picture either. Second receiver is really the only answer and a second TV set or you could put both on the same set but on different HDMI inputs I guess. One without the PVR feature could go direct to the TV for watching live and the PVR could record the other show for later. We here have an awful problem on Thursday or during Hockey games, usually end up downloading a DivX/avi file from one of the torrent type TV sites for a show or two. btw I don't have a pvr only dvd recorder but it is the same situation.

Edit: stand corrected, wasn't aware of a dual tuner receiver, thanks Bill

Edited by dave524

I just cancelled my Bell satellite last month, it was like picking off a nasty scab, man did it feel good.

Nothing but problems with them from the satellite reception to the sevice...just brutal.

Not to mention the 2 year contract they make you sign. :rolleyes:

You should have shopped around.

I just cancelled my Bell satellite last month, it was like picking off a nasty scab, man did it feel good.

Nothing but problems with them from the satellite reception to the sevice...just brutal.

Not to mention the 2 year contract they make you sign. :rolleyes:

You should have shopped around.

So who would you recommend, I hate the price I pay to watch TV and I am explorring options.

I love this topic - have someone from Expressvu coming to install a system for me this friday. Have others had signal issues with Bell? I have heard conflicting reports (signal is great, signal is horrible....assume it depends on how well you're set up)

If its Bull i will cancel and go back to Cogeco (which is cheaper, but fewer channels and a really crappy guide)

You want to watch 2 things at the same time,. I can't find one thing worth watching most of the time.

If it was not for treehouse and retro toon, I would toss them for HD rabitt ears.

I guess if you are into sports you really need a live feed but if you want the latest episode of a weekly show like "House " or whatever tickles your fancy, as I previously mentioned there is also the option of downloading the show. Really, I'm not sure of the legalities but I use a site called EZTV and it has shows from all over the world and a bittorrent program. I get the show as a DivX file but there is also a HD format too for some of them.

My Sony DVD player/ recorder has a usb port and is DivX compatible so I just transfer the file to one of those cheap usb thumb drives, plug it in and watch. As a bonus I have explored TV programming from other countries and can recommend a program from the BBC called " The Fixer " and last year they had a good miniseries called "Demons" which is still up for download and we enjoyed. Most north American shows are up for download within 4-6 hours of being broadcast and as a bonus the commercials are already edited out so the running time is about 42 minutes for a hour show and file size about 355MB for the DivX version. This could be another option and expands your viewing choices as well.

I work for Bell and I would highly recommend the TV. If you have a clear view in the direction of the South West, reception shoul dnot be a problem. Currently Bell is the leader in Canada with High Def Programming We've just reached 100 HD channels. Right now you can get free movie network for 2 months and get the 2nd HD receiver (6310) for free. Sorry to sound like a Bell ad but i truely believe it is the bees knees if you have HD tv and want to get the most out of it.

So back to the question if you have a Bell HD receiver you should be able to record a show and watch a different program at the same time? Witch HD receiver have this option?

The 8000 series offered by Bell has the dual tuner.

I dunno what revision they are on now, I had the 8900 model.

So back to the question if you have a Bell HD receiver you should be able to record a show and watch a different program at the same time? Witch HD receiver have this option?

We've got the Bell 9242 HD/PVR receiver with the dual tuner. It hooks up to two TVs (only one in HD though) and allows recording of one program while watching another program. We can even record two different live programs at the same time while watching another pre-recorded program on the PVR. It really has changed the way we watch TV. We have all our favourite programs pre-set to record so we never have to be watching the clock.

I got tired of paying $60 a month for cable and decided to switch to a digital antenna (rabbit ears).

Living on the shoreline of Lake Ontario and facing south, I can pick up about a dozen HD channels for FREE. Any prime time shows that I miss are usually available over the internet from the CBC, CTV, or Global websites.

This works for me and saves about $1000 in "before tax" income each year...that's money to spend on fishing trips.

Dave524 ... I do the same thing when there's a game on at the same time as a regular weekly show we like to watch, but the only way we can watch the avi file is on my laptop. How do you watch yours?

I stream it via TVersity through my PS3 :)

If it's a big file (a few gigs) I'll copy it to USB drive and play it via my PS3 that way.

If you don't mind me asking, do you rent the 9242 or own it? I want to buy one, but can't find it for less than $600! I did hear of someone who picked one up during a short, unadvertised sale for $299 .... that's more my price range ....

We bought the receiver, or I think you can rent it for $20 a month.

Usually the $299 deal is for "new customers only". If you call Bell (as an existing customer as we were) and threaten to cancel if you don't get the same deal, they'll do it for you. You need to get in contact with the "account retention" department.

We paid $599, but then received a $300 programming credit applied directly to our account. This included installation and a new dish capable of feeding four receivers (or the dual tuner and two others) as well.

I highly recommend the receiver, works great.

i have the hd pvr and i can watch and record shows on the 1 reciever..

i believe it has 2 recievers built into the one... for instance i can record on TV2 and watch on TV1 or vice versa.

i also recieved 300 programming credit when i purchased my hd pvr. ended up spending around 250 or 299 i cant remember.

i also really enjoy the bell service and all the programming.. between wild tv and wfn there is a shitload of hunting and fishing shows and the hd channels are not bad either.

i also learned that you can put in an external hard drive and save any shows you want on that... so pretty much you can save every episode of your favorite shows for good and watch them anytime.

the digital audio works well too on my surround sound. and the hd is picture perfect.

I don't know if it's available in the Great White North but if you want the best, it's TIVO.....I can record two different programs while watching something that has already been recorded........I can watch two different programs at the same time......say I am watching a football game X on channel 1 and it's a commercial break...I pause that channel and go to football game Y on channel 2, when that game goes to a commercial break I pause that channel and go back to football game X on channel 1.....I can actually do this and hold each channel on "hold" for 30 minutes, thus never watch a commercial...... this is the way to watch NFL football.....:)

TIVO has a button on the right that each time I push it, it will go forward 30 seconds but it I go too far the button on the left will go back 8 seconds each time I push it........TIVO also has a fast forward and fast rewind button........ It don't get no better than this.

Bob