Big coyote turd.. and it's everywhere!

siwash

I'm too lazy to upload my pics in photobucket so just look at my avatar pics... the coyote turd was as big as a wolf.

I live in Vaughan near Rutherford and Islington and hike through the Humber Valley frequently. I came across so much coyote turd, it's scary! Maybe 25 different stools. There's a lot of em in there.

Since that incident last week, I've been carrying a 4" blade. You never know. I am usually by myself. Not worried about one but two or three is another story... and I'm 200lb and pretty built..

Edited by swordfish

Hei Swordfih I'm also at Rutherford and Islington, I nearly did one last week at Langstaff and Pine Valley.

They are probably looking at the neighbour with the chickens west of Vaughn Mills on Rutherford.

I had rabbits in my yard for the last two years, have only seem one this year.

I am also in the same area and yes they are on the rise in numbers the past couple of years.

I have also seen foxes a few times crossing Clarence and I have not see the foxes for at least 10 years.

Nature is based on cycles, so the past few years they are on the uprise so the rabbits will be lower and so will the deer but lets hope that in a few years it will be reverse.

FLEXX

The Outskirts of Guelph and Kitchener have been polluted with them for the last few years so I'm not so sure they are being driven south to the GTA as opposed to driven North.

I live on the fringe here in K-town...I Litterally have a corn field across the street.

In the winter I see Coyotes out there on my way to work weekly, and some pretty large specimens I might add...sometime as close as about 20 yards away.

It doesn't really bother me as they are not really known to be a threat, and usually they bolt when they see me, but the Coy Dogs are starting to come around now too, and they don't run....they just kinda watch me.

Truth be told I don't trust them any farther then I can throw them having had some not so great expereinces with them years ago.

These Local fields are a hot bed for the deer feeding on the trimmed corn stocks when the snow starts falling and food is in short supply.

My wife and I have seen gangs off 18+ deer in the fields...No hunting here in the city limits so I guess its a safe enviroment and they become borderline tamed

Anyway,

Where there are deer the Coyotes are not far behind.

The limitless supply of house hold pets, and people who draw the near by forest critters in by feeding them don't exsactly help the situation.

Heck if I was a Coyote I'd live here too....

Tons of easy food, and no trapping/hunting = no reason to leave

To give you an idea of how bold they are I smoked one last year in my van doing 70km-80km....IN THE CITY on Homer Watson by the womens Prison.

Fast buggers I tell ya,

I didn't even tap the breaks until after I was completly over it :dunno:

It happend so fast there was no time to react...but then again it was about 4:30am, and I was barely 2 sipps into my morning coffee so :rolleyes:

But to be that far into the City He or she must have been hunting the green belts between the houses looking for cats, or Rabbits

Pretty bold...

i live in Scarborough, with one of Highland Creek's feeders running through my back yard. We are on a ravine lot. I have seen numerous or the same fox countless times this year. I've seen him criss crossing my neighbours backyard, nose to the ground, looking for mice and moles.

Heck, just this past summer, I was sitting in my front yard, having a smoke and a fox almost ran over my feet while is was quietly enjoying my smoke... I yelled at it and it just looked at me and kept walking.

I figure they are keeping the mice population down so they are a good thing.

Don't think I would take to kindly to coyotes and the like.

HH

I was sitting in my front yard, having a smoke and a fox almost ran over my feet while is was quietly enjoying my smoke... I yelled at it and it just looked at me and kept walking.

The poor fellow was probably looking for a job and caught you during a smoke break! :lol:

We've got a twin set of railroad tracks running through Grimsby, along it is a bunch of scrub bushes and long grasses, seen quite a few there, they seem to use it as a corridor for movement and I assume denning. Also seems to be a pack mousing in the land surrounding Place Polonaise, now that is is not in use and also in the fields below the radio towers just to the west along the lake, those retreat to the DND land around the rifle range. Been living here over 25 years now and only seen them below the escarpment in the last 5 or so years.

well i go up to manitoulin island more then a few times a year. goin this weekend for a deer hunt! iv been in the thick of it. there are claims to be cougars there, iv seen scat and trails. got spookes at night, but never took a knife or gun. i fugure, if it wants to pounce, its gunna pounce. the knife aint a bad idea but really, these cats/dogs dont really let people see them till its to late. i think that the young singer songwriter was a freak incident. maybe young males cocky and immature. but i do believe there is nothing to worry about for you. but like all of us be aware of where your walking. make some extra noise, sing part of a song loud and all will be scared, iv walked through bear paths through the tall grass only to step in scat looking for deer trails, i was ON THE BALL. spooked, but say, if im going to get maulled, well im on its turf, messing with its home land.. so I deserve it!

I rather have a knife and not need it, then need a knife and not have it. Speaking of which are we allowed to carry concealed knives up to 4 inches???

yes but....

1) don't say it's for protection, say it's for work

2) can't be a fixed blade

3) can't be a spring loaded or a blade that can be open with a flick of the wrist ie switchblade or butterfly knife

concealed or not, unless you are actually hunting you can't be walking around with a fixed blade knife

What do we all have with us when we go fishing?

You may just want to talk to your squad leader/CrownA...before you go charging Rambo walking down the road with a knife on his belt. There are no formal knife length carry laws in Canada.. other than the prohibited weapon act.. covering concealed / switch blades etc.

Edited by irishfield