Can you ID these fish?

Greencoachdog

Got out on Wednesday to checkout the flood waters... that weren't there! Everything was normal, as a matter of fact the lake had been drawn down to winter pool level (1' lower than summer full pool). There was a lot of current with the power company running 3 turbines releasing 25,000 cubic feet of water per second!

I got on the water at noon and figured the fishing would be slow by the looks of the solunar table. Got rigged up and caught the largest Crappie whithin the first 30 min. and though that it might not be such a slow day afterall... wrong! The fish were very lethargic during the afternoon, I could see them on the sonar... but they weren't interested. I caught a half dozen dinky catfish and a couple dinky Spots throughout the afternoon, but nothing pic worthy.

Around 4:30 the fishing started to pickup with some fish feeding on the surface busting schools of small Shad. I tied on a Zara Pup and threw it a couple dozen time but it was too big and they weren't interested (I gotta find my Tiny Torpedo!). I then tied on a small white and chrome Roostertail and started casting to the schooling fish, but they were small too. I got one decent Spot about 14" and the rest were little Spots and Stripers less than 12"... but it was fun to watch them bust the surface and to see the Shad skitter a across the surface!

The surface action died after about 45 min. and I went back to concentrating on my drop shotted shiners, and that's when I started catching more Crappie! I also started catching more small catfish and sun started getting lower in the sky.

Again, I only used my weaker sonar unit... and actually had the best day for Crappie I've had all year! Roy's Walleye and Bass may not be bothered by his high powered unit (I think it's because he has the shipping lanes on the Larry and the fish are used to it)... but my Crappie hate the high powered 4000 watt sonar! :angry:

The correct answer to the title question is SUPPER! :P

Edited by GCD

If you'll look close... he's sucking on and ice cube!

I always ice my fish down before cleaning them.

Ok, I see now...you're covered on this one <_<

wait...your cleaning them little things? :o

Edited by Dara

Third one looks a little different, orange hue to the fins and a little elongated profile.

Never have seen one being up here in the Great White, but could it be a Warmouth???

Actually they're all White Crappie, the big one beat himself up everytime I opened the live thrashing about and such.

Ok, I see now...you're covered on this one <_<

wait...your cleaning them little things? :o

Not so little, the biggest one was 13 1/2" and the other 3 were a little over 11"... fairly respectable for Crappie.

Dead?

Almost nearly! B)

Yes I can identify these Glen..... and you got yourself a good meal out of those beauties B):thumbsup_anim:

But I won't tell ya what they are since you already given the answer :lol: :lol:

Aaaaah what the hell..... my guess was, they're spotted blue gills, a rare and finicky species :lol: :lol:

Just missin with ya G!

Great job on making the best out of it even when them fishes are tight lipped.

Thanks for sharing this beauty report with us and keep up the good work!!!

Jacques