Trolling by yourself ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

Im new to the trolling game, and I tried it for the first time on sunday... I was by myself.

I had alot of trouble controlling the boat... with cleaning lures and trying to battle the wind... it was more of a frustrating day then anything.

I was wondering what you guys do when trolling by yourself to make things a little easier ?

Oh and Im talking in a 14' tinny with a tiller motor !

Hey everyone,

Im new to the trolling game, and I tried it for the first time on sunday... I was by myself.

I had alot of trouble controlling the boat... with cleaning lures and trying to battle the wind... it was more of a frustrating day then anything.

I was wondering what you guys do when trolling by yourself to make things a little easier ?

Oh and Im talking in a 14' tinny with a tiller motor !

Don't try to do too much...just keep your line in the water and relax. Enjoy your day. I love trolling hwen i'm by myself.

Also, if you keep the tip of your rod in the water it helps to cut down on weeds. Not easy with some rods, but something you might try.;

tighten up the shaft so if you let go out the motor is doesnt randomly go where it pleases and what really is another guy gonna do to help you? when i troll im with someone else and they dont touch my rod, i reel it in clean it and just keeper going, just takes some practice and multi tasking

I am assuming you were trolling a tiller (9.9 or such ) .. if that is the case a slight adjustment to the screw (behind the motor and slightly below the cowling) will tighten the steering just enough so that if you let go of the tiller it will stay the course for a a minute or two ... that really makes a big difference when you are having to clear weeds off your line in a wind ...or fighting a fish.. or answering natures call :)

Tighten the Steering up and practice.

Nothing you can do in the wind other then deal with it as it comes.

Also do your self a favor and get some weight in the front...cinder blocks or what ever.

The other reason your having issues is more then likely that the motor + your weight is all in the back popping the nose up higher in the water.

That makes it much easier for the wind to catch it like a sail and turn you on a dime....especially if your trolling slow.

Been there done that, and trust me if you throw some wieght up front, and tighten that steering you'll find it a lot easier to stay strait.

Cheers,

Also do your self a favor and get some weight in the front...cinder blocks or what ever.

The other reason your having issues is more then likely that the motor + your weight is all in the back popping the nose up higher in the water.

That makes it much easier for the wind to catch it like a sail and turn you on a dime....especially if your trolling slow.

Been there done that, and trust me if you throw some wieght up front, and tighten that steering you'll find it a lot easier to stay strait.

Cheers,

Exactly what i was thinking....with weight in the bow, you will find it night and day, easier to troll by yourself. Have patience...its quite relaxing when your all alone.

Cheers,

Yea the weight up front seems like a great idea, I will have to try that next time Im out.

The screw to tighten the steering is tightened pretty snug.... like I cant turn it any more hahah I think it might be worn out or something.... the steering is rather tight though.... it will stay straight for about 45 seconds toa minute then it starts to get off course.

I think the main part of my frustration was the area I was in.... its probably not the best to be trolling in due to the amount of weeds and what not.... but the big musky are in there right now and thats how they have been caught.... you have to work for them I guess .... Thanks for the tips !

alot of trouble controlling the boat... with cleaning lures and trying to battle the wind... it was more of a frustrating day then anything.

Yep! And just see how fast you can get blown into the rocks or shallow water when you concentrate on unhooking the fish you just reeled in. :wallbash:

When alone in a tiller the bow can whip around pretty fast! Doesn't matter how tight you set the tiller control, that has nothing to do with the bow of the boat.

No advise other than constant realization of what is happening all around you and in your boat. Even with a bowman in the boat with you if it's windy your going to get blown around as soon as you take your hand off the tiller or loose concentration. It can make for a real tiring day on the water, and who said that fishing wasn't a work out?

I was trolling by myself this past Sunday. I found anytime I put my rod in the holder it seemed to get caught up when I ran shallow or collect floating veg. So I then held the rod in hand, if I ran shallow I would just raise my rod to raise the bait above the structure, as soon as your lure is not running the slightest bit true you can feel it. I also had the ability to steer my line clear of any floating vegetation. The extra action you can put on the lure with rod in hand, jerking then almost then almost pausing the lure. Hold on tight though, the best part is feeling the strike. This also in a 14' tin.

Edited by muskybugged

I was trolling by myself this past Sunday. I found anytime I put my rod in the holder it seemed to get caught up when I ran shallow or collect floating veg. So I then held the rod in hand, if I ran shallow I would just raise my rod to raise the bait above the structure, as soon as your lure is not running the slightest bit true you can feel it. I also had the ability to steer my line clear of any floating vegetation. The extra action you can put on the lure with rod in hand, jerking then almost then almost pausing the lure. Hold on tight though, the best part is feeling the strike. This also in a 14' tin.

A good trick to avoid floating vegetation from running down your line and fowling your lure is to add a coloured bead where your main line meets your leader. The floaters get hung up on the bead instead of on your lure. I use this all the time when I'm fishing with a leader, if not using a leader you can position the bead up your line using a slip-bobber stop.

I do a fair bit of trolling solo, but it's a different game with my setup as I have a steering wheel and hydraulic steering.

Best pieces of advice are already given (weight in bow, and trolling down wind)

When it's real windy, like 20KM + I don't even bother trying to fight the wind by trollling directly into or across it. I run well up wind, turn the boat and troll with the wind/waves, in the same line/direction as the wind.

A net with large uncoated mesh also helps to land fish on your own as you can move it through the water a lot easier than a coated or small mesh net with one hand.

Tony

A collapsible water jug (or two) works good for this.

Or a console....

anim_peep-1.gif

I use 5 gallon buckets with good lids, 3 or 4, adds 40 lbs. of weight per each bucket. And you can use the buckets when stacked to carry in extra gear. Also, a drift sock, or a small plastic washbucket off the nose of the boat if backtrolling, can really help keep the nose from swinging.

One thing I always do when out on my own is have your anchor ready and tied off so that when you get a big girl and have her in the net you can toss the anchor over and stay in place or if you are closer to shore it will keep you from running into the rocks.

Have your release tools ready and camera set ready to go I know its a smaller boat but you can still get the stuff ready one other thing go to Dollar store and get some phone cord the coiled stuff and attach it to your cutters and long nose pliers so that when you drop them over you can pull them back in I also have clips on the other end that I attach to my Down easter.

There is no other way to troll in a kayak but solo. With both hands on the paddle, I put the rod holder on my foot so I can bring my foot back closer so I can easily reach the rod. I travel with the yak on the car roof so a permanent mount would be a problem.

ff_rh.jpg

Just for a second I thought you had an electric Guitar between your feet. Just your finder and some sort of blue thing. Naw I'm not drinking.

PS, As Cram says, try not to do too much. You can always put your motor in Neutral if your losing control till you sort your self out. AND EXPERIENCE like everything else.

Edited by holdfast