Nipissing First Nation Pickerel Harvest 2009

Jonny

Don't quote me on this, but I though the size of the gill nets pretty much catch all the slot sized fish. Smaller ones go through, and the bigger ones don't.

Again, I could be mis-informed.

Edit: Does anyones know if there is a set size for a gill net? Or do they vary?

Edited by LucG

I guess fishing for your own consumption means being able to sell them to buy beef as well eh

Try to keep in mind that if non-natives didn't buy it, they'd have no one to sell it to. What I'm saying is the people who create the market are part of the problem too.

You can almost hear the sound of the lock getting ready to clamp down this thread. :whistling:

Guest gbfisher

Commercial fishermen have always been able to do things that we cant. Like harvest fish in season and or out of season. That's where the commercial part comes from...lol

If you think netting is easy and a great way to make some cash, think again., ITS WORK!! Enough said.

Interesting read, but these threads always end up the same way...
Not touching this with a ten foot pole.

I don't need to get enraged by clicking that link.

There are things you can do something about and some you can't. But at the very least you can stay informed.

A native fishery has a right to exist. How it is done, however, is something that we need to engage in, and occasionally speak up about in a reasonable way.

There's no reason to get a topic like this locked as long as people don't get extreme. It doesn't do any of us, or the resource, any good to consider a subject like this somehow taboo. Remember - silence is taken as consent or agreement, or apathy.

To take one part of the article as an example... It is said that if the pickerel fishery improved from "stressed" to healthy, the netting harvest could be more. Well that's a thing that should be debated before it happens, because it should be balanced against things like narrowing the slot for sport fishermen.

Yes, netting (and cleaning) is not "easy money". It's money that takes work to bring in. It's work that has intrinsic value. And it's a lot better than government projects or handouts. (A principle that applies in ALL areas not just in this specific situation.)

Well I don't fish Nippissing that often but have never had a problem finding walleye there. Can't be all that bad.

So it at least appears that things are going well.

Things were going pretty good with the cod fishery too.

A lot of the problem in our society is that "it doesn't affect me so i'm having nothing to say about it" and "that affects me so I'm going to be really loud on this one" . It all ends up special interest and somebody always gets screwed.

The government only listens to those who yell the loudest.

Having spoken to Bernie's Dad on this very subject, I would suggest that things are not a rosey as they may seem. I know that Bernie will not talk about this subject, but when I hear his Dad's story's about the past and his theories as to why we are where we are....I'll keep my mouth shut, so I don't lose posting privilages here.

HH

Don't quote me on this, but I though the size of the gill nets pretty much catch all the slot sized fish. Smaller ones go through, and the bigger ones don't.

Again, I could be mis-informed.

Edit: Does anyones know if there is a set size for a gill net? Or do they vary?

Gill nets do come in different sizes, and those sizes do allow you to target different sized fish.

Interesting read...

I wonder how many nets aren't a part of those statistics.

But wait, you wouldn't be insinuating that those noble people would ever under report thier catch! /sacasm off

This liberal notion of the 'noble people' has got to stop, they are no different than you and I, and if you can't trust the average white guy to police his catch you can't trust them either, these could easily be the same people that will sell you cheap smokes, completely legal no doubt..o, they are better than us white folks all right. Just like there were better out east when the courts affirmed thier rights to net atlantic salmon, and instead of doing that a group of them broke into a science station on a salmon ladder where the fish were trapped on thier way up river to be weighed and a scale sample taken, it wasn't enough to have free reign over the river, they needed to destroy equipment designed to improve knowledge and improve return rates of the fish, they were arrested eventually, after getting away scott free multiple times, the gov didn't want to open that can of worms, but had to eventually. However on my last trip back to that river, long since the reasearch has been stopped the fish are still being trapped in the ladder by someone, and what once was a beautiful spot both for the view and the fish has been turned into a trash infested booze camp by..someone..I have my views, but who knows, few white guys bother to go there any more, the fish counts are almost 0 now, and without a net or trapping them in a ladder desigend to make spawning easier there isn't much point to going fishing.

If you truly believe they know more about the fish/care more about the fish/are more environmentally concious etc then you or I, I suggest counselling, but seriously, this won't end well for nipissing. It might easily have been the weather, but the fishing was quite poor this spring compared to last.

• 4 months later...
I thought there might be some interest in having a look at a netting boat. Here's a photo I snapped last month. I "grayed out" the faces simply as a courtesy...

nativenettingboat.jpg

That pic you have is actually the first nation's boat doing water samples, and patrolling for illegal shoreline work.

This topic will probably go down the tubes pretty fast. But I see the value in a domestic fish market if done in an ethical and environmentally conscious way. I can't comment on the state of the commercial fishing practices on Nippissing but what I do know is if you have ever purchased any fish from your local grocery store you are likely supporting what is typically a terribly run industry. Many of the fish we enjoy from the store are not sustainable, are polluted, and create massive amounts of environmental pollution in getting to our table. So a domestic industry done with care could help in this respect.

It is up to the citizen as a consumer to be informed and make better choices. Not too mention we need to be vocal and steer our governments in the right direction.

Anyways I am probably preaching to the choir here as most of us as anglers and hunters understand conservation and harvest can be achieved with some common sense and balance.

We've been down this road before; don't judge all by the actions of a few.

If you have a problem with something that is going on then take it up with the proper authorities and try to get something done about it.

I find it kind of funny that people have a problem with the OPP doing a blitz and making sure that people are complying with the law and people are whining because some people are getting away with breaking the law and not getting caught.