Nipissing First Nation Pickerel Harvest 2009

Jonny

We've been down this road before; don't judge all by the actions of a few.

If you have a problem with something that is going on then take it up with the proper authorities and try to get something done about it.

I find it kind of funny that people have a problem with the OPP doing a blitz and making sure that people are complying with the law and people are whining because some people are getting away with breaking the law and not getting caught.

As far as the Native stuff goes, I think some parts of the treaties need updating, but I'm not a politician so I can't do a lot. The education system for one really needs some work.

It doesn't take checking my papers to bust that guy over there for drinking.

A friend of mine has a cottage in Sturgeon Falls and once called the ministry about an illegal net that was placed in front of his cottage.

The ministry was going to give him the use of an IR video camera to gather evidence so that they could lay charges. Before he even got the camera from the ministry he was warned by some natives that it would not be a good idea and there might be repecussions involving his property and threats of a fire. He dropped the idea of gathering the evidence. The fishing has gone down hill in his area over the last 10 years.

He also told me about meetings that the chief was involved in, and that the chief wanted to curtail netting to let the fishery recover. All were in agreement except the younger 20 somethings that continue to net illegally.

It's sad as we used to be able to troll worm harnesses right out in front of his place and catch and release limit after limit of good eating sized eyes. Those days are gone unless things change sadly.

I,m glad this thread was resurected .I almost missed it. Interesting article. But these guys have nothing on the natives of Tyenindaga Quinte region. A couple of years back they "harvested " for native consumption and ceremonial purposes an estimated 125,000 lbs of walters. One neighbours son brought back a small freezer for his own native consuption and some friends also.

Too bad a small group do ruin it for those that are truly trying to keep a native heritage alive. IMO

If they want special privileges then they shouldn't be allowed to use ANYTHING modern. Oh and those stocked walleye in Nipissing, ya about those, they belong to the tax payers, they are no longer the same fish your peoples once fished for, no touchy.

The rest of my rant would get the entire general discussion board locked.

First of all, we have to remember, they were here first and fisheries stocks collapsed because of the white man. The first nations people were here harvesting fish for thousands of years with no problems before we showed up. We are thes ones who unbalanced the great lakes, the east and west coast salmon and the Cod. There have definately been some issues in the past, but over all the view of first nations has always been one of looking to the future. This article is a good one in that it shows a example of how they are trying to play a responsible role in the stewrdship of fisheries stocks. Many first nations in Canada are now taking much more active roles in monitoring and implementing of rules and regulations. Just like us white folk, there are always a few bad apples that out there. A good example of a successful and healthy first nations commercial fishery is the whitefish fishery in Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. They are clearly making an effort to work with the MNR and move forward, so should we.

Every time this topic comes up it always turns sour. I'm not going to wait till it happens this time. If you have a grievance concerning the laws of the land, go talk to your elected official.

Before you do that though, I suggest you read through the many treaties that were signed before any of us were even alive.