Leechman put my SunFire in the drink..

Whitespinnerbait

Yea it really sucks when that happens. Been there done that but i got CAA to come pull my rig out. My problem was the Ebrake stuck and front tires sunk into the gravel, it wasn't pretty. So once we got the van out of the lake i still had the trailer and boat. As i put the boat back on the trailer my winch decided to break on me and so did my rope to winch the boat on. But i was lucky to have enough teeth left on the winch to put the boat on the trailer so that the tow truck could haul out my trailer.

Oh yea if you experience any of your gauges reading wrong you need to unplug it and blow out all the water really good and seal it with some di-electric grease or you will have problems down the road. GM + water = nono.

It's a scaring experience as i thought this lil adventure would cost me a lot but it didn't at all.

NOTE: ALWAYS USE A PAVED LAUNCH FROM NOW ON!!

paulspics170.jpg

I have to ask, why is the trunk open? Looks like someone was torturing the poor thing and taking it's innards out any which way they could. By the way, I gotta say you caught the reflection of the car beautifully in the setting sun. Had we seen that pink water under the car we would know that the picture was a photoshopped hoax.

Edited by scuro2

Ummmm OK.... somehow I knew this was coming :oops::jerry:

Now I really feel much better about this :blink::glare:

Here is what went down just before I was drop on shore to get the Sunfire.... I recall Paul saying to back her up towards where he let me off, to the right of the launch and that is what I did..... but this launch have seen the Sunfire before without any glitches.

When we go out fishing, I always go get the car and back it up for Paul so he can get the boat on the trailer and never had any problems so far until then.

This time I was 12" too much on the right..... the launch, if you want to call it that, is very shallow and to get to boat off the trailer or onto it, the car needs to be backed into a couple of feet of water.

This time I backed the car in the same spot as usual but while I was backing up I saw the trailer jump a couple of times and not paying attention to it much..... should of pulled out and re positioned it but once I hit the breaks, I hear Paul yell "BACK UP" so I proceeded to hit the throttle but what I didn't know was the back tire on the right hand side was just sitting flush on the front a big rock...... and once I got over it..... heard a big THUMP and that was that :blush:

The frame of the car on the rear right was sitting on top of this big rock :wallbash:

Then I hear Paul yell "BACKUP" "BACKUP" but there was no way the car would budge off

So Paul got the boat off the trailer and went to shore.... when he got close to the car he said "DONT TURN IT OFF" so I sat in the driver seat while Paul unpinned the trailer, he tried to jack it up off the rock with the car jack.

Tried to drive off while jacked but this attempt was unsuccessful and got the front end to dig deeper..... I then saw smoke coming off the front of the hood..... so Paul said to pop the hood up..... I then hear "TURN IT OFF".

At this point Paul thought the motor overheated and the rad was leaking.... not good news at all :angry: so we decided to walk to the property owners house that was 2KMs away, when we got there, like Paul mentioned, nobody home...... THEN WHAT..... We were in a no cell phone zone and could not call for help...

so we proceeded to go back and try to get the car out..... by then it was pitch dark.... got our flash lights and started to look for some piece of lumber.... we found a couple of 2"x 8s" and started to jack the right side....

got it high enough to slip one piece of lumber under the right front wheel and positioned the other piece under the frame to try and pry it off the rock.... we were successful in prying the car frame off the top of the rock so we wanted to do the same on the left but while I was cranking the jack down.... it broke :w00t:

Paul popped the hood up again and was looking to see if the rad was leaking.... It turned out that when the front of the car sunk a few inches deeper, the fan was slightly submerged in water causing it to throw water into the rad and hence the smoke....... boy o boy that was good news!!!

Then Paul sat down in the driver's seat, started the car and put it reverse.... got it back far enough that when he put it in forward, drove right off onto dry land :clapping:

Was I ever happy to see the car off shore :worthy:

Then we had to get the trailer out by hand and pin it to the hitch of the car.... Paul repositioned the rig, stopped and got out of the car and said "OK JACQUES..... PART TWO" backed the car out some more and got the boat onto the trailer and the rest is history.

We still had a good day out on the water and after driving a few kilometers we had a good laugh about it.... we weren't in any real danger but the though of seeing the car in that position and in water somehow just did not make sense.

For those that ask if we caught fish.... read my report... it has all the specifics and pics of the day.

Jacques

I really hope after all that you guys had 2 cold beers for all that work.

Have a good evening Spongebob.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Yea it really sucks when that happens. Been there done that but i got CAA to come pull my rig out. My problem was the Ebrake stuck and front tires sunk into the gravel, it wasn't pretty. So once we got the van out of the lake i still had the trailer and boat. As i put the boat back on the trailer my winch decided to break on me and so did my rope to winch the boat on. But i was lucky to have enough teeth left on the winch to put the boat on the trailer so that the tow truck could haul out my trailer.

Oh yea if you experience any of your gauges reading wrong you need to unplug it and blow out all the water really good and seal it with some di-electric grease or you will have problems down the road. GM + water = nono.

It's a scaring experience as i thought this lil adventure would cost me a lot but it didn't at all.

NOTE: ALWAYS USE A PAVED LAUNCH FROM NOW ON!!

It really SUX to be you eh!???

paulspics173.jpg

I've had a couple of mishaps like that with people trying to help, and is the reason no one touches the boat or truck when I launch! I can do it quicker and easier by myself!

Lol, I never let anyone else do it because I can't be held responsible for my reaction if something goes wrong.... lol.

Ok, that's definitely one of the best fishing stories I've heard :lol: ...and I'm sure you and Jacques think so to now that it's all said and done! I was wondering how many posts before Jacques came to his own defense with "the real" story. Hope the car's ok Paul! BTW, get a truck already! lol

paulspics170.jpg

I have to ask, why is the trunk open? Looks like someone was torturing the poor thing and taking it's innards out any which way they could. By the way, I gotta say you caught the reflection of the car beautifully in the setting sun. Had we seen that pink water under the car we would know that the picture was a photoshopped hoax.

LOl he had to get the jack out.

hahahaha i remember lurking here a while ago and i also noticed the same fishing report, just like Muskymatt said.

at first i thought somebody dug up an old report, but nope this happened again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is the funniest thing i've seen in a while.

Loved the report!!

oh and people at work were crying when i showed them this, but they Lost it when told them you've done it before, and with pictures to prove it!!

too funny!!

Is it just me or does the side panelling looked a little worse for the wear?

LOL, it's a Sunfire he just jacked off a boulder with pieces from an old dock he found laying around, I don't think it's lived a babied life.

Hell the only advantage to having a Sunfire is that your buddy can do his best to drown the thing and it really doesn't bother you that much :D

Heck he may have trying to do you a favour in giving you an excuse to upgrade!

As Forest would say; it happens.

Most of the electronics in the car should be OK; they’re likely high enough not to have got wet; plus the powertrain control module (computer) that's inside the right front inner fender is supposedly sealed. Supposedly LOL

If it’s running ok; it’ll likely be alright.

But the air bag module is located under the carpeting, under the passenger’s front seat and it’s not sealed; not against that much water, anyway. Water and electronics can make for some strange things to happen and I would hate to hear that one or both bags blew off while you’re driving down the road. Even if it does dry out without any issues now; I’d still be concerned about the rust and corrosion that will begin forming inside the module.

I would be disabling the system, by unplugging the module or better yet replacing the module to make sure its going to work; if it were needed.

It would be one heck of a wakeup call if the bags decided to blow on their own or just as bad, if not worse; they didn't during an accident.

Air bags come out of their package with about a 500 pound punch; which will destroy the steering wheel, dash, possibly the windshield and your face, if it hits you.

I’m not saying this will happen but it could and I just thought I would give you something to think about.

Dan.