Lame Excuses! NF

Headhunter

I work in a small office of five people. With todays weather, we have exactly 2 out of the five who have shown up for work today, myself included. My usual commute time is just under 1/2 an hour, today it took me one hour and fifteen minutes. Upon arriving, I, funny enough have three messages on my voice system, all from staff not coming in.

Outta the three, here's the lamest excuse;

"My snow blower won't start! I can't come to work!"

Interesting coming from a guy who DOESN'T OWN A CAR!! He takes the TTC!

As I expect the fishing reports to be slim today, I thought I'd start this up and get a picture of what lame excuses your hearing today, as a result of the weather!

Have fun!

HH

Hahaha, yep, same here.

We have 8 employees. Only two of us in today. The first excuse on the answering maching was the receptionist who just said "I will not be coming into the office today." Then we got the next message from the worst offender here who said "My basement flooded." It appears it takes both her and her husband to stay home for that (bull patootie). And the others just said "I'm working from home." Except for the boss, who said "I'm not coming in, man the fort for me."

Joey

I showed up to work today and was the only 1. I turned around and went home. although I have to admit greed drove me to work as I was hoping they would put me to work if I showed up. No one there to put me to work.

I gambled and lost. B)

Cheers

Did you leave a note.. "I was here... where were you...make sure the 4 hours, for showing up for my scheduled shift, is on my pay check".. LOL

I don't seem to be able to get to work today either. Just because it's Valentine's Day shouldn't be a reason Leah won't shovel the path to my shop door! Oh wait a minute...we didn't get any of this mess for once! Guess I'd better get my butt in gear....off to the shop. LOL

Edited by irishfield

I can't believe all the poor excuses being thrown around :blink:

Although I live only minutes away, I didn't see enough snow in Markham to understand all the fuss. Sure there was about 10 cm of powder snow in the driveway, most of it being snow drift off the roof tops. Took me a whole 3 mins to shovel a 40' path to my car from the front door so my kids wouldn't get side tracked (playing in the snow).

The roadways were partly snow covered but have been plowed and salted down.

My receptionist comes in fuming after her Viva bus didn't stop at her stop, didn't even make the effort to getting into the lane despite her and another rider was waving at them to stop. The following bus drivers said the buses were about 30 mins behind but there was no excuse. The second driver told her to call to complain as Viva has GPS tracking and door/stop monitoring.

Well, my office is 2 for 2 on the anticipated staff!

Good luck and safe driving wherever you may be.

HearingFish

"make sure the 4 hours, for showing up for my scheduled shift, is on my pay check"

The law states 4hrs at minimum wage or 2hrs pay at your regular rate, which every works out to be more money.

My company told everyone yesterday not to bother coming in today and we would still get 4hrs at our regular rate. It is usually cheaper for them to do it that way because....by the time they figure who isn't showing up and who is now going to which job site, the slow drive time to and from the sites (we get pay for travel time), the poor production because of the weather (we do outdoor construction)...it ends up costing them alot more.

There is another big factor for them when the weather conditions are as is, (especially within Toronto), and that being the risk of an accident. With insurance premiums as high as they already are and the down time waiting for loss of equipment to be replaced/repaired the losses would be well into the thousands.

No excuses needed on this end! Be safe!

I used to work in retail...and one day we had over 50cm of snow over night. I got to the store 1/2 hour late and was the first there. Most of the employees didn't make it in. I had one guy though, who lived about 10km away. He started his drive and got stuck in the middle of the road. Did he go home? NOPE! He had a truck push him to the side of the road and the WALKED 5km in blinding snow to get there. I had to give him a raise after that...LOL.

I was thinking hard yesterday, what kind of excuse I can use ^_^ . Today morning I just called my boss and said I'm not coming. At the same time my other phone started ringing and my employee telling me he is not coming.

I was almost ready to stay in bed till noon, then EUREKA; my daughter ( she is 12 ) has to go to school. So I've started my snow blower, by 8:30 I was done. Took kid to school and started thinking how I can punish my employee for this extra day off. Well, I'm still thinking :rolleyes:<_<

BTW, did I mention that I'm self-employed and run one-man business. :lol:

This wasn't from yesterday or today but this actually happen a few years back and it's the funniest that I personally heard.

I work in construction and one of the crew bowled every Weds. night and he has a girl call the answer machine and pretends to be his wife and states that GARY will not be to work today because he has the flu, now the whole time you can hear the background noise from the bowling alley and the girl must have gotten confused because she handed the phone to Gary and he thinks it already hung up and proceeds to order a round of beers for the team because he doesn't have to go to work in the morning and this goes on until the answer machine times out. :lol:

Well needless to say the recording was save for Gary when he returned for work on Friday (had to get his check so he couldn't miss payday :whistling: ) well by this time everyone and their brother had heard the recording so he took a pretty good ribbing for quite awhile over that one.

Oh BTW I was the only one that made it to work today out of five.

Edited by Whopper

I was thinking hard yesterday, what kind of excuse I can use ^_^ . Today morning I just called my boss and said I'm not coming. At the same time my other phone started ringing and my employee telling me he is not coming.

I was almost ready to stay in bed till noon, then EUREKA; my daughter ( she is 12 ) has to go to school. So I've started my snow blower, by 8:30 I was done. Took kid to school and started thinking how I can punish my employee for this extra day off. Well, I'm still thinking :rolleyes:<_<

BTW, did I mention that I'm self-employed and run one-man business. :lol:

Leave the kid at home and give the Teachers a brake.

Well, no word of a lie, the "worst offender" as mentioned above, has just called for the 10th time!!! If it weren't for her, the phone's would not have rang all day :wallbash:

I guess the guilts are really setting in for her :rolleyes:

Joey

QUOTE(keram @ Feb 14 2007, 12:06 PM)

I was thinking hard yesterday, what kind of excuse I can use . Today morning I just called my boss and said I'm not coming. At the same time my other phone started ringing and my employee telling me he is not coming.

I was almost ready to stay in bed till noon, then EUREKA; my daughter ( she is 12 ) has to go to school. So I've started my snow blower, by 8:30 I was done. Took kid to school and started thinking how I can punish my employee for this extra day off. Well, I'm still thinking

BTW, did I mention that I'm self-employed and run one-man business.

Leave the kid at home and give the Teachers a brake.

It was my intention :rolleyes: , but they did not cancel the school, just buses :canadian:

....I didn't have to go to work this morning, I had to get home from it. Four weeks ago I installed four brand new snow tires on the van and was beginning to think, for what? Well I was glad this morning I had! Arrived at home to discover my driveway under a five foot drift. Best park on the road I thought, that was fifteen minutes back and forth through bumper deep snow to get it over to the curb! I sure hope it , melts soon or I may have to shovel it! :rolleyes: