favourite breading or batter....

ColdH20guy

just curious what the majority use for breading? fish crisp ( which I use alot of..original) or Chronzy's ( which I picked up but havent used yet) or maybe pancake mix and beer?(which I have never tried)

curious what you guys use for walleye/bass in the pan?

thx

i like the cajun or italian fish crisp, or some jiffy cornbread and some flower seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste, but also just wrapped in foil with some seasoning on the grill is dang good too.

jason

just curious what the majority use for breading?

Don't know about the majority, but here (for pickerel/pike/bass/perch) it's straight bread crumbs. Or Panko.

For salmon or trout, nothing at all.

A friend of mine says I should try BBQ potato chips (crushed fine).

The other day I tried some walleye my buddy caught that was prepared using a "tempura" type batter mix which he said is available in the Chinese-food section of the Superstore. It did not have a recognizable brand name...I think it might have just said "tempura batter mix". It was so good...light and crispy...I'm going to look for it next time I'm at the grocery store.

Tar-tar sauce is a must, IMO.

I tried Chronzy's, wasn't bad but I prefer just some flour, ground up crackers, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dip fish in egg or milk or even water then fry. Or even better is the No-Name version of shake and bake! You can do what ever you want with it meaning fry or bake. I like the extra crispy, just add some flour to the mix as this will stretch it just a little and tone it down a little for fish. Just shake the fillets up in the bag and fry them. Best of all a box is only $1.19! Now compare that to Chronzy's or Fish Crisp and you will see that you are getting ripped off big time!

I like to change it up a lot, but my favourite would have to be Fish Crisp - Garlic & Butter.

A couple drop of lemon and down the hatch.

All this reading is making me hungry...

----> Run's downstairs and removes a pack of walleye from the freezer....

I love the original and Cajun fish crisp. Uncle Bucks original and extra spicy (Bass Pro Shops) are equally good. Tried Chronzy’s mix for the 1st time in the spring and was pretty good…..less flavourful for those who prefer the natural taste of the fish without disguising it.

A good alternative to batter that I found here on OFC a few years ago is the following recipe;

Cut fish into 1” cubes

Wrap in bacon strips

Put on Skewer (5 or 6)

Cover in Zesty Italian dressing

Cover with original BBQ sauce

Cook on BBQ or in oven (can’t remember temp or how long)

This recipe is delicious and is better for larger walleye that we catch on Erie as they tend to have a little more fishier taste.

I've been using this recipe ever since I watched Wil Wegman use it at the Last Ice Tournament a few years ago...

Shake damp fillets in Fish Crisp ( plain or Italian seasoned)...

Dip in an egg wash made with egg, beer, or gingerale...

Roll in bread crumbs (plain or Italian seasoned)...

Fry in hot vegetable or peanut oil til golden brown...

I like them with a bit of lemon and Heinz tartar sauce (sold only in convenience strores for some strange reason)...

Marinate fillets in Red Dot Louisiana Hot sauce for a couple of hours. Take out and let the sauce drip off a bit then in a plastic bag with (1/2 cup flour + 3/4 cup of cornmeal) then deep fry.

Then crack open a cold one !!!!!!!!!

Marinate fillets in Red Dot Louisiana Hot sauce for a couple of hours. Take out and let the sauce drip off a bit then in a plastic bag with (1/2 cup flour + 3/4 cup of cornmeal) then deep fry.

Then crack open a cold one !!!!!!!!!

That sounds wicked good!

I WILL be trying that one.

1) Rinse fish under fresh water

2) Roll in Flour, Fresh Ground Pepper, Fresh Ground Sea Salt Mixture

3) Milk Bath

4) Roll in Pancake Batter Powder "Aunt Jemima Original.. The one you have to add egg and milk to"

5) Fry in a shallow pan, bottom of pan thin layer of EVOO and a slab of butter. Wait till batter is dark golden brown and flip.

Its really good. Have tried other pancake mixes.. taste horible or plain.. Only use the one i listed.

Then I take the left over flour, milk and batter and mix it all together. It should be sticky, and throw it in the pan after the fish is done.. mmm. sooo yummy. and no waste!

Might have to add a little extra milk or pankcake batter, but it should be sticky. After cooked it will remind you of a doughnut! lol

I used to do an annual trip for Lake Trout with a bunch of guys from Kenora. Shore lunch was a big event each day. These guys used corn flake crumbs to coat the fish. Two thumbs up from me! I'm pretty sure that you can buy corn flakes already crumbed. Is crumbed really a word?? My spell checker seems to think so...

I used to do an annual trip for Lake Trout with a bunch of guys from Kenora. Shore lunch was a big event each day. These guys used corn flake crumbs to coat the fish. Two thumbs up from me! I'm pretty sure that you can buy corn flakes already crumbed. Is crumbed really a word?? My spell checker seems to think so...

I have seen corn flakes crushed for sale, i think it even says that its for fish recipes.

perch-- half regular bread crumbs and half grame cracker crumbs,,,,milk and egg wash

walleye-- three quarter italian bread crumbs and on quarter Parmesan cheese ;;flour first egg wash and then crumbs