Bid Bad Wolf

johnnyb

My parents breed Pyrenees just for that problem, Jason. Most go to Colorado and Minnesota. They do quite well against wolves and none have been taken down by a wolf yet. They are quite a bit smarter than the wolves and make the target too much of a risk. Wolves are smart enough not to risk a dangerous take down. They need each member of the pack healthy. Without a full healthy pack their hunting ability is greatly diminished.

Even passed a wolf joggin down the side of the 401 around Grafton on Sunday at 6:15am He was about the size of large German Sheppard. They are gradually making their way into residential areas.. Well I suppose technically Residential areas are moving into their territory.. But eaither way.. Even a friend was out on a quad last week up in Castleton area and seen a Black Bear.

Well I'm not much for the killing of top predators like musky or wolves, but if it is in season it is their right. It certainly is not a Canadian wolf..they don't get anywhere near that size. That things looks to weigh about 120 to 140 pounds.

We have programs to compensate farmers for livestock lost to wolves.

Used to to inspections for the MNR on wolf kills..very few, mostly young sheep and at the time the farmer got more for the compensation than he would have got at market....yet some of them still wanted the wolf shot... I think others left the lambs out on purpose.

Coyote kills are more common and leave a much bigger mess behind...but by and large predator attacks on livestock are extremely rare. Animals like deer, birds, mice and gophers do much more damage to farmers pockets than the canines ever could.

True, our biggest problem was the racoons. They would devestate our corn, little buggers would push down the stocks and take one bite out of the cob. Even with hunting them with our coon dog we eventually gave up the battle and stopped growing corn, poor cows. Stuck to growing grain after that but still had to hunt them to keep them out of there <_<

It certainly is not a Canadian wolf..they don't get anywhere near that size.

It was killed in Alberta. There is a big write up on it on canadiangunnutz.com and huntingbc.ca. Apparently one of the board members actually saw the hunter and the wolf in transit going home from the hunt.

large predator attacks on livestock are extremely rare

Maybe they are rare in the more populated places, but out here in rural Ontario the MNR have actually put bounties on wolves for that exact reason. I can remember one year some local hunters took 10 wolves out of the bush near my parents farm and were paid for doing it.

It was killed in Alberta. There is a big write up on it on canadiangunnutz.com and huntingbc.ca. Apparently one of the board members actually saw the hunter and the wolf in transit going home from the hunt.

There are news articles that prove otherwise.

No way that wolf was shot in Canada, or North America for that matter.

My bud was duck hunting south of Fort McMurry and just about stepped on one. It was a hot sunny day and it was sound asleep, they both must have jumped 10 feet.

I put up an electric fence to keep the coons out of the corn but this year I'm hoping the coyotes have got them all. Last year you could see the tracks between corn rows where they were hunting coons and skunks but the coyotes ate off one batch of corn they took a liking to.

A few years back we had an old Siberian husky living in the corn fields, no coons that year.

Well the guy that sent it to me was of course, one of many in a chain of "FWD"s..but the note attached said it was taken in Edson, Alberta, over a bear bait. He is also the same guy that sent me a pic of Ewout Bloum's "massive canadian record pike" we are all so familiar with...like I say...I just thought it was a cool pic. :dunno:

Great Pyreneese are great for protection for sure.We are just starting to see coyotes down here but I haven't had any problems with my goats.Some people here use Llamas and Donkeys as herd protectors especially Alpaca farmers.I have a couple of dogs but they are in at night.The bigger problems are the foxes,racoons and possums getting into the chicken houses.Thats a beautiful canine to be sure,its sad to see it brought down.

Joe

kool pic

Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales maybe

shot in 2007?

ain't buyin it lads and lassies

YES--have been blessed to share my life with a Great Pyreneese/Sheppard Cross

"Tasha"

fearless

Happy Canada Day All

ID1

I guess we will have to wait for the video to come out...im sure there will be complete details in the interviews

the second photo with the shooter puts a better perspective on the animals size....still an incredible beast but not that uncommon in Alberta

Congratulations to them...they got what they were after....sales of their scent bait shall increase

Rick,

I have seen quite a few wolves that would be in the 100-150lb range. I understand the tendancy to exaggerate the size, but just this spring myself and 2 others saw 2 wolves that size. We took quite a while to come up with an estimate on the size and weight, comparing it to a moose carcass they were feeding on. These wolves were not far off of a deeri n height and mass. However the pictured animal looks much fatter than many I have seen.

I suspect though it is a very large wolf in the picture, the gent holding it, as stated is not an O lineman in the NFL

I have seen a number of very large wolves as well.

The last really big one I saw was in the winter of '07 and it was the size of a Great Dane. :w00t: