Bass Opener

ohhenrygsr

Just came in from fishing this morning.

Will not reveal how I did just yet. Still have the afternoon / evening session to go.

A full report with pics to follow.

Let's just say so far the fish are hungry and feeding up BIG TIME after the spawn!!!

My day started late!!! Kayaked for about 2.5 miles.....only hooked 1 fish and then the winds started to pick up so i had to paddle back the 2.5 miles. Still a nice sunny day with lots of excercise, can't complain to much!

Fished several of our usual bass spots and caught a few small ones and of course a few WGSF...kinda thinking they might still be on the beds...

Came in, had a bite to eat, then my son and I drove over to Carp Point to try our hands at them...nadda bump but my son was quite surprised at the techniques we use for carp as this was his first time targetting them...maybe next time *sigh*

I had two young clients for the opener and was a little nervous about whether the fish would still be scattered after the spawn.

No worry, the fish were on the usual spots and we had a great time using Senko type worms and Flukes.

The big fish bite wasn't on, but what we lacked in size we made up in numbers...grin.

Here are a couple of pictures.

BassopenerJune272009010.jpg

BassopenerJune272009011.jpg

Garry2R's

When I finally cleared the work decks I found out my usual fishing buddy had bailed on me, so I twisted my wife's arm to come out and try her new fishing licence bought yesterday. She agreed and then fuissed for a while about what to wear. I guess she thought there'd be a lot of other folks around. I tried to explain that we want to avoid the corwds. But finally she got her stuff together and out we went - at 3:30 in the afternoon.

We hit one easy to get to spot and got bupkis. No surprise as it's a well known and easily accessed hole so I figured it would be spooked but it was a good chance to terach her some casting and retrieval basics. She got onto the casting quickly and only impaled herself once. When I first saw it I thought she'd gone deep, but fortunately it was nothing. In any case I showed her my razor blade that I carry for hook emergencies. She saw the merit in being very very careful around hooks after that.

We moved on to another spot but it was occupied so we went on to yet another. I was trying to find a place that was easy to get into and should produce even some WGSF if nothing else. My third choice was already occupied but I figgered we could cut through the bush and hit the river upstream at what I knew to be an even better spot. She wasn't thrilled with the walk through the bush and the long grass but we finally hit the water. I was downstream from her when I spotted a nice smb cruising by so I pointed it out. She nailed a cast with her yellow AC Shiner and all of a sudden she was "Hey! What do I do now?" I was coaching from the cheap seats "Keep the rod tip high and the line tight." That was apparently one instruction too many in too short a time. She did pretty much everything wrong but eventually landed it. As I grabbed it's pouty little lip I saw the treble pull out of the lip leaving the other caught in his gill plate, which let go immediately so he slithered out of my grasp before I could even grab the lip, but she got to see him up close and personal, all 12" of rompin' stompin' smallmouth glory. She started bragging immediately because of course I had caught nada. That's okay. This is just the first phase of a long and convoluted plan to get JohnF a boat.

She kinda liked it. She'll go out again. I see a Ranger in our future. I may be using a walker by then but I definitely see it happening.

JF

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Left the Soo at 6 am. on the water by about 8...

Fished a backcountry bass lake by canoe.

Boated about 20 bass...Average size was about 1lb...

This was my nicest black.

012-4.jpg

Not the greatest by far. Finished fixing my livewell by and on the water with my Father at 3pm, casted casted and casted and we managed 3 SM, two over 3 and kept a smaller one for the pan. Allways fish my backyard ;) southern GB and the water was fairly rough until about 7. Will be out in the morning once the batteries charge up.

didnt do too bad on the bog..for not intending to do anyfishing.. went out in the boat with the gf just to soak up some sun..as it was our first day off.. only took 1 rod.. hoping id have a chance to use it....

while we were anchored / tanning i heard a splash and looked over to see a big swirl. thinking its a musky or sumthing big.. casted my only lure i had on me.. (which was an xrap) and started twitchin .. next thing i know a BIG hit.. set the hook thinking its a musky .. next thing i know its puling drag on my old pfluger president baitcaster with my 7' mh rod bending over quite a bit.. then thats when it happend ! about 3 feet air born ! SMALLIE !

so here it is !

alex_and_le_piggay.jpg

Edited by fish-miester

Hit the Grand with my buddy for our annual Grand canoe adventure. Bite was definitely a bit off, but we managed to scare up 8-10 over the course of the day, with 3 in the 1.5-2 lb range, and the rest were small.

On the positive side I got to spend a day with my best bud, in a beautiful river valley enjoying nature, and we got out with all our parts in tact. Also got quite a bit more practice with my 2 year old baitcaster combo until I finally ended up with a birds nest I could not fix, including hooking my first fish on it. Notice I said hooking, not landing (note to self: when a fish is on is not a good time to adjust your drag), so that was good too..

Cheers

Went out to my favorite lake like every other year but it's been a great opener so far for me. Only about 1/4 of the bass i figure are still hanging around the spawning beds. Caught about 2 dozen Smallies and Largies combined back at it in the morning very aggressive fishing today.

dsc07320c.jpg

dsc07319q.jpg

All about this size lost a biggin today too

Fished Dalrymple near Orillia from morning to dinner with RobbieB and it was slow.

We caught 2 bass and 1 pike during the day. Another boat with us did better, landing about 10 fish, bass and pike combined. Spinners seemed to get most of the fish with soft plastics also scoring a few.

It was sunny and warm for most of the day and the wind kicked up in the afternoon. There were dozens of boats on this relatively small lake with most fishing the shallow areas and shorelines.

we went down to long point. boated a dozen or so nice smallies, a few small perch and a few sheephead. likely lost 6-8 smallies...

i know ill be having a nice dinner tonight :D

we also saw a dead gar in the marina....

Smallie fishing was tough yesterday!!! i couldnt hooked into one if my life depended on it. we worked x-raps most of the day and we couldn't keep the walleye off our lines, they were really on the feed. Ended up getting 5-6smallies and countless walleye. brought home one 2lb smallie and a good feed of walleye so i say it was a pretty good day even though i didnt get into the smallies much.

Did ok hunting largies yesterday. Most fish came off Senko style baits in shades of green. Pads and emerging weeds were the ticket.

This fish...

IMG_3352.jpg

had been through a few wars...

IMG_3350.jpg

A few more came to the boat as well. Nothing too big, but a great day on the water. Boy was it hot out there Saturday!

Hit buckhorn with Aile Gobey on the opener and managed a bunch of little guys plus a couple muskies in the mix. All fish were caught using senkos. ;)

Aile Gobey couldn't keep these little guys off his line

a.JPG

Yo_Guy with a bit bigger one

b.JPG

I was all set for my yearly ritual of honouring the opening at my cottage lake, arrived, made coffee, used the washroom, noticed something wasn't right, detected a smell that shouldn't have been wafting around the yard and ended up spending the bass opener digging up my septic tank. After a long weekend of frantic calls, much sweat and labour, I threw a few casts off the dock late Sunday before heading home and back to work. I caught a small 1-pound bass. It turned out to be the most expensive opener I have ever experienced.