Going Fishing in Haliburton and area..need some muskie advice!

miss_ub84

Hello, Me and my bf are heading up to Haliburton the first weekend of July. We've never caught muskie, but we would like to try!....Does anyone have any tips of where to go/what to use/anything that would help us..that would be great!!! We went up last wknd, fished on cranberry lake and all we caught were smallmouths and perch..

Any advice/tips would be helpful!!

Thanks!

First thing you want is the right tackle...do you have a rod/reel combo that will handle musky? While the hits are fun, it's nice when you have a set up that will allow you to set the hooks, and bring the fish in before it dies from the exhaustion of walking all over a set up that is too light.

AFter that's out of the way...be looking for healthy weedbeds, rocky shoals, and chuck large bucktails and Super Shad Raps till your arms get sore. If you're unfamiliar with a lake, trolling is a good way to get around...lets you cover water while travelling slow enough to find good spots. When I'm on a new musky lake, I head for likely looking points/islands/shoals, and stop at all the thick weedbeds I find along the way.

That's my $0.02. And depending on which Cranberry Lake you were on...could be you're already at a fairly good musky lake.

There are some great musky on Cranberry. I was fishing that area on Sat. and Sunday. Lots of follows but no takers. A flippin stick and heavy line in the 50lb category should be enough for any fish in the Kawarthas or Haliburton. You'll probably burn a reel or two, but its worth it. I'd say try Cranberry again or, like Musky and Specks said, Head lake. I've never fished it but the comments I hear are the same as his.

Try a Jointed Jitterbug in frog colour.

It's funny you say that bait as when I was fishing Lake Kashagawigamog lake year I had a large musky blast at it (at dusk) and send the lure into the air but not hook up. Looking at the musky in the air missing the lure all I was thinking was DAMN!!!!

Isn't Loon Lake a musky lake? It's off 121 if i'm not mistaken... walleye and lakers too, if you're interested in those species..

my parents had a cottage on Loon from 1968 until 1988, yes, in the later years there Dad got a few muskies while trolling walleyes and also lakers, initially when they first got the place it was strictly bass and walleyes.

• 1 month later...
It's funny you say that bait as when I was fishing Lake Kashagawigamog lake year I had a large musky blast at it (at dusk) and send the lure into the air but not hook up. Looking at the musky in the air missing the lure all I was thinking was DAMN!!!!

Where abouts on Kashagawigamog were you fishing ? I've fished that lake for 18 yrs and only brought in ONE muskie (and only 22 inches at that) .. but keep hearing GREAT things about it as far as the muskie fishing... am I at the wrong end ? I'm located near the island before Ingoldsby.. please help

Where abouts on Kashagawigamog were you fishing ? I've fished that lake for 18 yrs and only brought in ONE muskie (and only 22 inches at that) .. but keep hearing GREAT things about it as far as the muskie fishing... am I at the wrong end ? I'm located near the island before Ingoldsby.. please help

Yep...the north end of Kash is generally considered better musky fishing. By "better" I mean that you still are in for the long haul. Every fall, the north end of Kash gives up a few trophy musky to guys that work their tails off for them.

If you want easier musky fishing, drive your boat through the narrows into Grass, or all the way to Head. They are both much more consistent, especially Head.

Mr Mojo,

I am in the bay north of the island. We have caught a couple in the bay itself. One down at Ingoldsby south of Kash Landing and before the bridge into Canning. Pretty small.

My neighbour pulled in a beast on the south side of the lake between the Island and Ingoldsby.

Also Grass Lake in H'burton is s'posed to be very good as well. PM me and let me know where you are and maybe we can hook up.

Cheers Nemo

I was in the bay where this resort is. "OUR COORDINATES ARE : 45º00.161N and 78º33.738W" Good luck.

Well, I don't get up there much any more (couple times a year-usually just the long weekends) and no longer have the old family boat. so I only get out on the lake when friends feel up to the challenge of fishing with me lol. My family has a place in the Northern Eagle Trailer park (about half way from Ingoldsby/the marina). I assume by the "north end" u guys mean closer to Haliburton ? I have also heard of giants being caught off the windswept point near the Wigamog Inn (or what used to be called that- i think its the Moose now). And as for the comment about the narrows heading into Hali. thats where i had my only "luck" with the little one I was talking about..but thanx alot guys hope it helps.. u guys using bucktails ?

Yes, closer to Haliburton. Obviously, the musky can move around in the lake, but anybody I know that is targetting bigger fish is fishing the section from the WigaMog toward the narrows into Grass Lake. If you have to shore fish, it would be worth it to go right into Haliburton and fish Head lake. Try the point right behind the bandshell and the creek that runs through the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...we've got the right rod/reel combo and a variety of different lures...but no luck yet!

We've gone out to Grass Lake and Cranberry...

Grass lake we launched the boat and went left (passing the docks)...nothing

We've trolled the edges...we've trolled the middle...we've casted by weeds...we've gone early morning...before sunset and even in the dark...and no muskie..not even followers!! (only smallmouths and perch)...

definately not giving up though! but we are definately over 1000 casts...lol

I have no idea what we are doing wrong?...

most muskies caught in that area are caught while bass fishing. I'd do what the bass fisherpeople do because that way you should end up with one or the other or both.

Nothing wrong with trolling a bucktail too.

• 3 years later...

Just reading this post since will be working in Haliburton for next couple of weeks and was looking for info on any shore fishing to be had..Head Lake and Grass, our motel is overlooking Grass (Lakeview Motel) so was thinking of heading down in evening and fire some casts. Any suggestions on baits to try..or just grab some worms?

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this post since will be working in Haliburton for next couple of weeks and was looking for info on any shore fishing to be had..Head Lake and Grass, our motel is overlooking Grass (Lakeview Motel) so was thinking of heading down in evening and fire some casts. Any suggestions on baits to try..or just grab some worms?

I've seen muskies caught from the public dock near the launch in Head Lk, bass too and you would have a chance at a walleye

Hello...we've got the right rod/reel combo and a variety of different lures...but no luck yet!

We've gone out to Grass Lake and Cranberry...

Grass lake we launched the boat and went left (passing the docks)...nothing

We've trolled the edges...we've trolled the middle...we've casted by weeds...we've gone early morning...before sunset and even in the dark...and no muskie..not even followers!! (only smallmouths and perch)...

definately not giving up though! but we are definately over 1000 casts...lol

I have no idea what we are doing wrong?...

I'd say cast bucktail spinners to obvious cover (weeds, docks, logs)

if you just want to catch a muskie, I think one of the easiest places is the Burnt River, launch in Kinmount and head up river, fishing the weedy bays, plenty of small muskies and the chance at a decent one too