Big Island Pigeon Lake

Have to say I find that saying pretty ironic.

The Cree of northern Quebec sold their souls to Quebec Hydro so that several huge areas of their native territory could be flooded and hydro-electric generators built.

The environmental destruction engendered by these mega projects is so vast and far-reaching that even Hydro-Quebec spokespeople have admitted that the consequences are incalculable.

Unfortunately this is the way of the new world, the old ways are gone, and the old ways of thinking have taken a back seat to development and big money. I`m sure when the Cree wrote that things weren`t as bad for them on their little pieces of land they were unjustifiably put on with clauses dating as far back as the late 1890`s that now have no power so big mining companies can go on the land and do as they please with out any recourse. Exactly whats happening with the Ardoch in Algonquin. What the papers tell you and whats really going on, is a whole different ball game.

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/articles/1754

But then you are right, there are those who are just like the people they protest and they sometimes sell out for the cash.

Well it is Southern Ontario, and not that far from Toronto and other heavy populations.

The good news is that a lot of weekend cottagers don't fish much.

And if there's a prohibition on docks and "improvements" within 100+ feet of the shoreline, maybe some of the aesthetic quality will be preserved.

I guess owners of these properties would need the services of two marinas - one on the shore and one on the island. I suppose that if you can afford the price of a lot, afford to build on it and afford the taxes, you can afford the slip fees. :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

i really hope that big island is left alone and doesnt sell to a developer everytime im on the water fishing i cant help not to look at it i like knowing its a big beutiful natural island where wildlife have a sanctuary of there own , its what makes pigeon lake special and gives us all something back

Only fished pigeon once, but I can picture the island you're talking about. Can't blame the people for selling/developing it. Hard to argue with 5 million. I tell you right now I'd sell it in a heartbeat, buy myself an awesome spot on a private lake (where I own all the shoreline!) and still have a few million in the bank.

Only fished pigeon once, but I can picture the island you're talking about. Can't blame the people for selling/developing it. Hard to argue with 5 million. I tell you right now I'd sell it in a heartbeat, buy myself an awesome spot on a private lake (where I own all the shoreline!) and still have a few million in the bank.

I know we all dream of such a thing, but what you said kind of epitomizes the problems we are facing in the future with land development, water rights, and public access issues. If everyone who could, did what you said, there would be no natural, wild lands or waters left, and the little that did remain, would be privately owned like your dream.

Not a good scenario.

Edited by lhousesoccer

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a cottage on the mainland on the backside on the island and have been told a single richguy bought the island with plans of one cottage. I heard boyond that there wont be permits for water or septic. It was my first year on the lake so dont take this as fact just what my neighbor told me. He is the head of our association so i would assume he;s in the know

Is there still a cabin on the tiny island off the northeast corner of Boyd Island?

Yes there is.

Not sure it will ever be developed, have any of you been reading about the northwest sewer trunk issue in Lindsay, or how long it took to get that new bridge built south of Bobcaygeon. Can't imagine a bridge or causeway ever being built to go to big island or septic systems being approved.

He proposes to build 99 lots of 1 acre each they did have a sign on the backside of the island as well they plan on a marina there as well !!! There was meetings and input a few years ago and a lot if red tape surrounding it !!!! I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this 2 yrs ago ?? I'm not aware if any new information regarding the development ??? But now I'm curious and will try to find out more !!!! My family was born and raised in bobcaygeon and I have been going to the island since I was a kid it would be a shame to see it all ruined it sure is a gem

• 3 weeks later...

I was fishing around the south end of big island in the summer and found at least 50 if not 60 discarded oil tanks for oil burning furnaces piled in behind the trees adjacent to the small island contacted wil wegman of mnr and he is going to speak with mnr peterborough to have something done about this hopefully they can track down one of the owners of these tanks and they can find out who dumped them there.also can anyone tell me how to post pictures

Edited by nitropaul

found at least 50 if not 60 discarded oil tanks for oil burning furnaces piled in behind the trees adjacent to the small island

Are you talking about the big 200 gallon tanks ??

Those things are big, awkward and heavy and it doesn't make sense that someone would go to the trouble of loading them into a boat, one or two at a time, hauling them across the water and then carrying them back on shore again...that's really weird !!

Here's a link to some discussion we've had on it. http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32850

HaHa! That link goes back to this thread.

All this talk of development of 99 lots etc,,,,,has been going on for 15-20 yrs.

At least it is going at a slow pace.

Some of best fishing i have had in southern Ontario for SM bass, walleye, and musky has been around this island.

Hopefully they don't screw up this great fishery.

It wouldn't be too hard to haul those tanks across the ice, Lew.

I could use one of those for a maple sap boiler....I might have to go take a look before the ice goes out lol

S.

yeah you want some help ? could drag a couple over for you on the sled, give me an excuse to get out