NF - My Jeep made headlines

SlowPoke

Since they're not young offenders...  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How should they be punsihed?

• Community service
    • Life in Prison
    • Death Penelty
    • Made to wear perch coloured jumpsuits, marinate in goby chum until mid-june and then used for trolling muskie

http://www.londontopic.ca/article.php?artid=1386

Stolen Jeep used during break-in flees police

LondonTopic.ca

01/31/2007

A short police pursuit ensued early this morning (Jan. 31) after a Clarke Road drug store was burglarized.

Police responded to an alarm at the Shoppers Drug Mart, 142 Clarke Rd, at around 3 a.m.

Witnesses on the scene told police the suspects fled in a dark-coloured Jeep Cherokee and provided the licence-plate number of the vehicle.

About an hour later an officer patrolling Oxford Street observed the suspect Jeep traveling westbound. Though the officer pursued the vehicle and attempted to stop the Jeep, the driver fled forcing the officer to abort the pursuit "because of public/officer safety risks associated with poor road conditions," police said.

A short time later another officer located the Jeep abandoned in a laneway on Dufferin Street. Police set up a perimeter in the area and one of the suspects was found walking on Ontario Street. A second suspect was located walking on Dufferin Street.

Inside the Jeep police found property believed to have been stolen from the Shoppers Drug Mart. In addition, the investigation determined the Jeep had been stolen earlier in the morning.

Two men remain in custody as police are continuing the investigation.

http://www.londontopic.ca/article.php?artid=1416

UPDATE: Suspects in stolen Jeep commited series of break-ins; police

Ross McDermott, LondonTopic.ca

02/01/2007

The two burglary suspects who fled police in a stolen jeep yesterday (Jan. 31) could be responsible for a series of break-ins.

The suspects, who triggered the alarm at the Shoppers Drug Mart, 142 Clarke Rd., at around 3 a.m., then fled the scene in a stolen Jeep, leading to a short police pursuit, are also suspected of Jan. 21 break-in at the same address, as well as a Jan. 14 and Jan. 22 break-in at the LCBO, 109 Fanshawe Park Rd., and a Jan. 23 burglary at another Shoppers Drug Mart, 603 Fanshawe Park Rd.

During the police investigation of yesterday's break-in, police compared evidence to the other occurrences and found similarities in all the crimes.

The same display cases were smashed and similar items stolen – digital cameras and mp3 players – both times the Clarke Road Shoppers was targeted, police said, adding the method of entry was the same.

The incident at the other Shoppers Drug Mart on Fanshawe Park Rd., saw the suspects back a vehicle through the front door, smash a display case and flee with digital cameras and mp3 players.

On Jan. 14, at the LCBO, 109 Fanshawe Park Rd., suspects smashed the front door, stole a quantity of alcohol and fled in a stolen truck.

On Jan. 22, the store was targeted again and alcohol was stolen through the same method of operation.

Police said in total over $1,700 in alcohol and $16,000 in product was stolen during the break-ins. The damages caused during the break-ins total more than $8,000.

Two Nova Scotia men, Joel Cox, 27, from Sheet Harbour, has been charged with five counts of break and enter, one count of possession of stolen property and one count of public mischief. Cox was also wanted by London police for failing to attend court.

Reid Smith, 33, has been charged with five counts of break and enter and one count of possession of stolen property.

Both remain in custody and are scheduled to appear in court Feb. 5.

Community Service is pretty much useless in my experience. While the death penalty is a bit severe, for what they've done, if convited, should serve some jail time, then maybe community service, and most definitley restitution for everything...even if that means garnishing any future wages until their debt is paid.

Maureen

Community Service is pretty much useless in my experience.

Hmmm... you seem like an upstanding, contributing member of society. I'd say community service didja some good!

:P:P:P

;););)

I'm teasing of course. I can't see community Service having much effect on these guys but I'm glad it's an option for generally good kids that did something stupid.

-Brian

I think you got it Motivator.

I agree.

Make 'em pay thru the 'ol wallet.

Then they will learn what the value of a dollar is.

I think those people don't hold down a regular job, they prefer the quick money from criminal activity.

Ya hear that Jethro, get a real job, you loosy movie actor / brain surgeon!

Dash_Rip_Rock.gif

payin thru the ol'wallet means that they'll have to go and steal someone elses to pay!

Guest mistyriver1

:angry: Sorry to hear that this happened to you Brian.

I voted for the perch jump suit. ^_^

I agree with Maureen. I think community service is not enough, a little time in the slammer in my opinion.

Let's be realistic here folks, we all know these punks will receive as light a sentence as our terrible excuse for a justice system will be allowed to get away with, and chances are, that stupid, ineffectual community service crap is about all their gonna get.

Until this country starts giving out some serious punishment, the crooks and punks will continue to prey on whoever they want and know that very little punishment will come if their caught.

Brian, your bill for repairing, storing and towing your vehicle will probably be far worse than any punishment these thieves receive, but that's just the way this country operates.

It wouldn't bother me in the least to see these punks put away for 20 years with NO parole.

I'm with Lew on this one. They should be forced to pay back everything their responsible for destroying, period. If they can't, I personally don't have a problem with forced labour camps, giving them an opportunity to pay back all the effected parties. I'm sure we/the governement, with a little creative thinking, could create a progam that would benefit all Canadians, by forcing these no goods to do hard labour, creating something positive for their fellow citizens. Perhaps built a new highway, bridge, work the fire brigades in the summer, to name a few.

Until the thieves understand and believe that there will be severe repercussions for their actions, it's all just a slap on the wrist.

HH

Oh, and if all else fails... just shoot 'em! Save the tax payers coughing up for them for the next 1-20 years! Of course, what will most likely happen is that the tax payer will be stuck paying for their rehabilitation. Hey, maybe we should be looking at a system that has the FAMILIES of these people repsonsible for restitution, to the victums. Maybe then, they will be keeping an eye on there problem children.

I had my car broken into in my driveway a few years ago. Stripped parts from it and cherry picked my glove compartment contents. Professional clean entry, no damage, each part was cleanly removed.

Never been caught.

I paid my 500.00 deductible and moved on ...the ebb and flow of life.

thats my case, in your case the car was recovered, nobody was hurt etc...so, my take on it is some community service, maybe some jail time if they have a record, some restitution if they have the financial means and life goes on.

(I was expecting sending them back to Nova Scotia as a sentening option but that may be excessive LOL)

Edited by Kirk

Hey, maybe we should be looking at a system that has the FAMILIES of these people repsonsible for restitution, to the victums. Maybe then, they will be keeping an eye on there problem children.

http://www.londontopic.ca/article.php?artid=1386

Joel Cox, 27,

Reid Smith, 33,

Not that's it's not a good idea HH but in this case they aren't kids....

I say depending on their records which I'm sure this isn't the first time these boys have seen the inside of a police station. 8 months for the driver and 3 months for the passenger is likely. Parole at 1/3 rd the sentence..No restitution.. That'll teach em!!! If it's more than that I would be suprised. :angry:

I am with Lew also on this. There crimes were escalading, if they didn't get caught, they would of kept on going until some got hurt or killed. I'm for a two strike law, 3 strikes is usually way to late. My other option would be draft them into the army and let them learn to fight for our country, not destroy it.

Not that's it's not a good idea HH but in this case they aren't kids....

I say depending on their records which I'm sure this isn't the first time these boys have seen the inside of a police station. 8 months for the driver and 3 months for the passenger is likely. Parole at 1/3 rd the sentence..No restitution.. That'll teach em!!! If it's more than that I would be suprised. :angry:

Caper, I bet you're not far off. I'm thinking about following this case - attend the trial and sentancing. I'm probably out of luck for restitution anyway given thier ages. Even if it was considered I probably wouldn't see anything for 3-4 years and that's the best case scenario.... trial, sentencing, time to pay.

My other option would be draft them into the army and let them learn to fight for our country, not destroy it.

Sure, let them serve shoulder to shoulder with the good guys that are making the ultimate sacrifice for our country - that'll be good for troop morale. :rolleyes:

-Brian

Jail is a waste of time along with community service, that's why there's so many repeat offenders. Ball and chain gang, street sweeping, dicktch cleaning, painting grannys house under close supervision by a gnarly retired firefighter, paying down the court time and victims fee and loss. Do it again, lets go visit some of the middle eastern countries, give me the hatchet, I'll cut off his thieving fingers, maybe better yet, smash his fingers with a 2# ball pein hammer, they'll grow so big, he'll never pick up anything, never mind pickin his nose.

Sell off his posessions and make full restitution to you ... with a brand new vehicle. Then sit his butt in jail for a while. Then, hang a big sign on him telling everyone what he did and walk all around London for a few weeks.

But, the jerk would probably do the same to someone else.

Edited by Rich Clemens

yes im with you guys on that one to,make them pay it all back,putguys like that on a chain gang and put them into forced labour ....that would teach them...just hearing that brian makes me steaming mad,ifn they kept going someone could have been killed or hurt,and they dont care,idi you get your jeep back or is it wrecked... :angry: