OOS pics

Jigger

How is taking a picture of an out of season fish any more harm to it than taking the picture when it is in season? Because a Gobi is clever enough to say "hey, he's taking a picture, get in there and pig out!!"

We whine about the treatment of fish on what seems to be becoming a more frequent basis, and when you think about it, it is generally based on a picture. Don't roll them in grass, don't hang them vertically, don't squeeze them too tight; How about don't put a metal hook in their mouth in the first place? Or, how about don't have a site on the Internet that is basically there for the purpose of bragging via photographs?

I think that the idea that one can selectively fish is basically flawed. If a bass would attack anything thrown their way while on the nest, isn't the problem that we are on the water in the first place?

A can of worms indeed.

All that being said, posting a picture of an OOS fish is a bit like bragging about the hole in one you got, after you put your first shot in the pond (actually a hole-in-three). It doesn't count so keep it to yourself.

Jim

Bass season is open all year here...is it unethical for me to catch them?

It's unethical for you to catch anymore fish of any kind this year Simon!... you're already too well in the tourney!!! :angry:

The only thing I disagree with in Bass fishing, is sight fishing for them and pulling them off the bed when they're nesting... dumping them into the livewell and hauling them around the lake for a Bass Tournament weigh in!

They don't all breed at the same time, so you can always catch some that aren't on the nest!

A panfish can clean out a nest completely in 5 seconds. Chances are the nest has been pillaged before you even land your OOS bass. You might as well take a pic and brag to everyone about your new PB (Poacher's Best) and how none of it's offspring will grow up to be caught in the future. Some conservation areas have made changes to how they run things to try and cut down on this happening. Island lake in Orangeville for example. They used to have a pike derby to help reduce the high numbers of pike in that lake. The idea was that the bass fishery would improve if the pike numbers went down. They found that during the tourney too many bass were pulled from the beds and the crappie and other panfish were cleaning out there nests. They no longer hold that pike derby, which is too bad for people that fish Belwood lake, because that is where the 200 or so pike that were caught during the tourney were live released. Valens conservation area doesn't even open till the end of June. They have pike and crappie and could make considerably more money every year if they opened at the end of April. The reason there is that it's a nesting area for many bird species and boaters would interfere with that. The result remains pretty clear though as many large bass are caught during their derby in July.

Just follow the guidelines (not laws) of this site and don't post your OOS fish in your reports.

Edited by jediangler

this is a FISHING website and most of us love to see pictures of FISH whether they were targeted or accidental catches. taking a picture of an OOS fish will not cause it any harm. if you landed the fish you have already disturbed it and moved it off its nest so taking a picture will not cause anymore harm.

if you whiners cared that much about people accidentally catching OOS fish, you wouldnt fish at all when the season is closed for other species as theres always the chance of catching OOS fish. theres no difference between releasing the fish in the water or taking it out for a pic....

Just follow the guidelines (not laws) of this site and don't post your OOS fish in your reports.

if the mods felt that this needed to be a rule, they'd change it. but for now everyone here is free to post pics of their OOS fish and id guess that most want it to stay that way. those who dont like it should not post anything to ruin another persons thread ;)

Guest gbfisher

someone must have used it's eyeballs for bait.....NIce catch Wayne!

It's no wonder fish don't like that net....bragger!

Edited by gbfisher

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think bass spawn in weedbeds in 14 FOW. As long as you acknowledge the fact that it's out of season and aren't consciously targeting them, then I have nothing against. Fishing for spawning bass is an entirely different debate.

I can smell that musky from here...

Nice smallie PT...

Page 8 of the Fishing Regs states, under Open Seasons, that: It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them. Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water.

I can smell that musky from here...

Nice smallie PT...

Page 8 of the Fishing Regs states, under Open Seasons, that: It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them. Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water.

I don't think anyone is attempting to catch these OOS fish (I hope not anyway).

If you catch an OOS fish by accident and take the pic, just wait until the fish is in season to post on here. lol

Edited by Cudz

Whats the biggie in taking a pic of an OOS bass ? and why cant it be a PB ? because they will hit anything ? . How about the channel cats in the grand ? they are concentrated and they will nail most baits. Guess you cant count a PB untill they are out of the river and scattered out again in the lakes.

Steelhead are in the rivers to spawn and people target them while spawning ( yes open season but is it really different?)

I dont see any harm taking a quick pic of an OOS fish as long as your not targeting them and it was an accidental catch. I think the people that do see the harm are just jealous. Its not like they are catching them , filleting the sides off and then trying to release the fish.

ps. My PB pike is 14 pounds that I caught while fishing in the perch festival and it was OOS . I caught it , reeled it in , held it in my hands and released it , is that not the definition of CATCHING a fish ?

I don't know where you guys get your information but it is NOT legal to take pictures of OOS fish. The regulations clearly state " Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water" and holding the fish out of water for a picture does not fit into immediately.

Sometimes I wish I was a CO and nail all the ignorant poachers. The MNR set seasons because fish should not be handled at that time of year period.

Sounds like you guys would publicly state that grabbing a squeeze doesn't hurt anybody it's not a rape. And they call us all sportsman.

Guest gbfisher
I don't know where you guys get your information but it is NOT legal to take pictures of OOS fish. The regulations clearly state " Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water" and holding the fish out of water for a picture does not fit into immediately.

Sometimes I wish I was a CO and nail all the ignorant poachers. The MNR set seasons because fish should not be handled at that time of year period.

Sounds like you guys would publicly state that grabbing a squeeze doesn't hurt anybody it's not a rape. And they call us all sportsman.

Funny stuff.

I've caught OOS bass while fishing for ISP ' in season pickerel'...lol

Had a warden taking down fishing licenses from my boat load of people. It was a biggun!! We took a picture of it. :o

The only comment made from the Warden was..."Nice fish. Like to cacth that one in season. I'd go well on the dinner table.". :lol:

Can you show me in the regs where it says that pictures cannot be taken of OOS fish?

its all good...just dont keep them

He wrote this for people like you. So you might want to read it over a little better because its not "all good" when their well protected eggs/nests are getting raided because you decided to target out OOS fish, or decided not release it right away. If you really feel the need to take a picture, have your camera ready, and take a picture at the side of the boat while reasing him.

As of yet... ;)

I could say the same thing about lake ontario steelhead, that lake has huge numbers of fish. what if i went out of my way to catch a fish that was out of season or in a sanctuary (past the CN bridge) and post it? the fish was caught then relesed nothing wrong there... right??

You think it's out of season fishing that's killing the steelie population? lol Look at the regs where it says Zone 20, S - 5, there's your answer.

Its just a respectful thing to do for the rules of the board.

Just send a pm to someone, I also beleive a quick pic is not a problem.

Btw bass are not on there beds for another week, they feed heavily in pre spawn and are very easy to catch, its just too bad they dont seem to be that aggressive every day!

OOhh lookie..

I don't think that fish would be sitting on a redd this time of year.. it may have been slowly making it's way to spawning grounds, but this catch didn't affect the spawn much in my opinion.

Still, this rule still applies here. Jigger was reminding us, quite nicely, that an out-of-season fish is simply not be posted. Period.

Is it that hard?! C'mon, the fish is out of season. Rules burn, but they're there for a reason, to protect our ressources.

Here's a link for the hollier-than-thoughs. Page 7 of the regs.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/198219.pdf

"Open Seasons – Fishing season opening and closing dates vary depending on the species and the area. It is illegal to attempt to catch fish for which the season is closed, even if you are going to release them. Fish accidentally caught during the closed season must be immediately released back to the water. Unless stated

otherwise, species that are not listed (such as sucker and rock bass) have a year-round open season."

cheers

HD