My new electronics

icefisherman

Well this past winter was designated "electronics improvement/upgrade" time.

Sold my old Lowrance X65 and got killer deals on one complete LMS525C dumb ass and one display unit only of LMS520.

Purchased separate 200KHz transducer for the 520, two RAM 111 mounts, Navionics Gold+ chart and got the free Fish N Chip chart.

Got 3M 5200, stainless screws, cable clips and tube of Clear Marine Silicon.

I got bunch of Lowrance network and Ethernet cables/connectors as I wanted to connect both units together with Ethernet and Network connections. This I think is the best way to go as I now have all the redundancy I need should one unit fail and I can use either one as the other one. I can also have one full 5" screen only as Sonar and the other 5" screen only as GPS...and vice verse... I could use the dual transducer from the 525 or the single transducer of the 520...I can split either unit's screen...I can do pretty much anything and all things I want with the two units....combined I get 10" of viewing pleasure but for only fraction of the cost of a single 10" screen (2-3 times cheaper).

Also bought nice cut off piece of King Starboard for transducer mounting plate that I later cut to size and shape needed.

I've decided to go different route than most other people out there.

Most install the the transducer plate following the bottom edge of the boat.

I thought that looks kind of ugly with all the sharp edges sticking kind of "out of place".

So I decided to make the top edge of the board horizontal and cut the bottom edge to follow my boat's bottom contour.

Here is the time to thank Brian (slowpoke) for countless hours (probably days added all together) in phone consultation. What a great source of hones info he is and has always been to me.

On all kinds of boat/fishing projects - so THANK YOU BRIAN!!! and yes my birthday is fast approaching...just thought I should mention it again to you :P I am sure you'll get the right idea ha ha ha :lol:

Now back to the electronics....

Soooo...with all equipment I need I started the project....pulled all kinds of cables (lots of cables) did some soldering and cable tying, installed and GPS puck in the front of the boat unobstructed from anything (it now acquires satellites even while boat is in the garage and doors closed).

And it was time for the most dreaded procedure of all - yep you got it - DRILLING into my boat and BELLOW the water line....that was the thing I hated and tried to find way around it...for weeks...thought of only gluing the transducers/plate (gave up on that idea as I wasn't sure how stable such installation will be)....the only thing that convinced me was that this is the LAST time I need to drill any holes in my boat for transducer mounting. From now one holes will only be in the transducer plate no matter how many times I change transducers/fishfinders.

Anyhow....friend helped me with the plate and did grate job on the angle/edge rounding/countersinking...

I've used one of the old holes (from the old transducer (used paper template to mark it exactly on the plate for drilling)...and drilled two other holes.

Managed to "hide" both transducer cables on the narrow edge of the plate and tight them with cable clips.

Mounted all and went water testing it last Friday. All went smooth and is working great...just need some more time learning how to use it.

Discovered that the Fish N Chip chart is not very accurate for Lake Ontario....I was in 7 feet of water when the chart was telling me it should be 30 fow.

Anyhow....I am quite happy with my new purchases and with their installation....time to get them to help me hook some fish :Gonefishing:

Here are few pictures that may help others going through the same process.

Enjoy:

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Hey ice fisherman that one sweet set up i ve got a lund as well and just installed lowrance unit last fall, i have a interference problem when i turn on the finder the radio signal disappears have you checked on this and has any one else had or heard of this problem

Thx Rob ( dakota)

what was your total cost of the setup?

Under $1000 ALL equipment/parts included.

Hey ice fisherman that one sweet set up i ve got a lund as well and just installed lowrance unit last fall, i have a interference problem when i turn on the finder the radio signal disappears have you checked on this and has any one else had or heard of this problem

Thx Rob ( dakota)

Rob,

I was listening to my VHF radio while both units were working fine last Friday, and didn't have any interference. Didn't talk on the radio so this part hasn't been tested but I don't expect problems there.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

On all kinds of boat/fishing projects - so THANK YOU BRIAN!!! and yes my birthday is fast approaching...just thought I should mention it again to you :P I am sure you'll get the right idea ha ha ha :lol:

I just finished re-wraping what you got me for my birthday (Sunday). I hope you get as much use out of it as I did. ;)

Glad I could help with the boat stuff.

-Brian

VERY NICELY done. Definitely a PROFESSIONAL JOB................ but I see NO need to have both units next to each other. Most (ALL) networked Lowrance units are so you can one at the console and one up front when you're using the trolling motor. But I could see one on the transom for downrigging on the Great Lakes. I use to have my Lowrance paper graph mounted there years ago.

You could of just gotten a 200 mhz transducer for the LMS 525 unit without the expense of purchasing a LMS 520 unit and piped it in with a transducer switch giving you your 12/36 degree cone angle by using the dual transducer that came with the LMS 525 unit and a 20 degree cone angle when using the 200 mhz optional transducer. You would of also saved on not having to network them together then.

SO, I guess my question is why the dual set up with one unit being mounted right next to the other unit ? ? ?

SO, I guess my question is why the dual set up with one unit being mounted right next to the other unit ? ? ?

5" GPS & 5" Sonar, no need to split screen.

Why do we need electric downriggers when manuals will do?

Why do need a roof when a rainsuit will do?

VERY NICELY done. Definitely a PROFESSIONAL JOB................ but I see NO need to have both units next to each other. Most (ALL) networked Lowrance units are so you can one at the console and one up front when you're using the trolling motor. But I could see one on the transom for downrigging on the Great Lakes. I use to have my Lowrance paper graph mounted there years ago.

You could of just gotten a 200 mhz transducer for the LMS 525 unit without the expense of purchasing a LMS 520 unit and piped it in with a transducer switch giving you your 12/36 degree cone angle by using the dual transducer that came with the LMS 525 unit and a 20 degree cone angle when using the 200 mhz optional transducer. You would of also saved on not having to network them together then.

Redundancy Bob!

I've been strangled once in the middle of Lake Erie few years back with dead motor (my only motor back then) so ever since then REDUNDANCY is the name of the game for me every time I launch on the Great Lakes.

As I've said earlier...I wanted to be able to substitute one unit for the other with preserving 100% functionality and vice verse.

I also wanted to have the full 5" ONLY for Sonar and another full 5" ONLY for GPS data and not having to split the screen to see both at the same time (need it all the time when trolling Great Lakes).

And your idea about beenable to move one (or the other) unit within the boat is a good one.

I've my setup fully capable of doing that - all the cables you see are of the 15' length so I can at any given time move any (or even both units together) anywhere on the boat. This might come handy when I go up North to Algonquin/Temagami and for Bass fishing.

I've put a lot of thinking into this project before realizing it...and this setup seemed to suit me best for the type of fishing I do.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

After rereading you original post it does make some sense having one unit as a GPS and the other unit as the Sonar screen giving you a full picture while saving $$$$ as well. AND if one unit does go down you can send it in for repairs and do without it in the mean time.

I have a LMS 520 unit at the console but would now like to add another 520 or 522 at the bow while using the trolling motor. Guess what, they are no longer made and only USED units are available. I don't like buying other people's problems.

Cabela's mail flier had a 522 unit on sale for only $449 but they have to be purchased AT the store. No internet sales on that deal. We don't have a Cabela's near us.... :wallbash:

Excellent job & now your all rigged up and ready to go !! :Gonefishing:

I definetely like the way you cut your transducer mounting plate to fit the angle of the hull, even taking the time to route the edges. It looks very professional and far superior than the way it's normally done. Those little touches make a big difference.

I also agree with you on using 2 seperate units for sonar & GPS. I do the same & find it much better than using split screens.