rental boats and fishfinders

SBCregal

We've rented a cottage for the bass opener weekend on sturgeon lake and for the time we're there we'll be renting a boat from the place as well. I have a fishfinder on my 12' tinny and i was hoping to be able to bring it up with us and mount it on the rental boat so we have one for the weekend. What I am wondering is how i'll mount the transducer temporarily. I was thinking of a piece of wood that i could clamp onto the transom in some manner. does anyone have any other ideas?

Ryan

Just bolt it to a board and clamp with a C clamp. If you position the board in the correct place you can run wide open and mark depth just like on your regular boat. Don't bother with those suction cup mounts. They can come off while running and if you forget to tie off a safety line the transducer and or the fishfinder can be damaged if the transducer comes off. A friend had this happen last year and he has to replace the transducer as it got caught in the prop.

Just set the depth of the board and clamp on.

P4190001.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Ya, I used the suction cup last season (with petroleum jelly). It worked ok, but always came off eventually. I decided to either get a wooden board and C-clamp or buy one of those aluminum rods with clamps that are available from BSP for about $40. The board is probably a lot cheaper =).

Ya, I used the suction cup last season (with petroleum jelly). It worked ok, but always came off eventually. I decided to either get a wooden board and C-clamp or buy one of those aluminum rods with clamps that are available from BSP for about $40. The board is probably a lot cheaper =).

Yep, it cost me $6 for the C clamp at Princess Auto and the board was free.

I had one of the Tite Lok transducer mounts and it kept swinging up when running at speed.

A waste of money IMO.

It will work fine on my inflatable pontoon though.

I use the same setup as drifter

A piece of 1x2 or 1x3 and a C clamp.

Adjust so the transducer is below the boat and the board flush, otherwise the board sticking down makes some awfull splashback at high speeds

I use the same setup as drifter

A piece of 1x2 or 1x3 and a C clamp.

Adjust so the transducer is below the boat and the board flush, otherwise the board sticking down makes some awfull splashback at high speeds

Same here. my display is mounted on a milk crate (wood top with a hinge) and the battery is in the crate. I even have the cable that plugs into the Honda’s alternator to keep the charge up.

Here is the one I use after tossing my 'hockey stick' ... it works great and is really easy to adjust and remove .. and has never once slipped ... although I often take if off at high speed to avoid the rooster tail that sprays all over the back of the boat :)

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas...ain-Large$

Edited by camillj

Same here. my display is mounted on a milk crate (wood top with a hinge) and the battery is in the crate. I even have the cable that plugs into the Honda’s alternator to keep the charge up.

I have a little 12v recharchable dry cell. It lasts over a week of daily fishing powering my depth finder.

I use this tie-lok and it works great along with a 12 volt sealed cell from Cabelas that will last for days without a charge.

http://www.titelok.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=123

I also have one of those, but as I said they tend to swing back under speed.

I have found the board and C clamp works better and is less expensive.

That said I will be using my Tite Lok unit on my inflatable pontoon this year as it will work fine with my 30# trolling motor.

just reading the Eagle manual..didnt realize you also need a 12v battery to hook it up....I guess I thought the AA batteries would do it.....so how do you keep the 12v dry? and charged? seems like a bit of a pain to have one of these in the boat as well..does it have to be a 'marine' battery?

thanks guys

Edited by ColdH20guy