Epic Huron Tour ~ Lots Of Driving......No Fish

solopaddler

Not too much to report unfortunately. On the plus side perhaps I can help a few guys decide whether or not to head north...

Overall the day was an absolute blast. I finally managed to hook up with Fidel (highdrifter) for a day of fishing. Joining us was BillM, driving over from Barrie and meeting us at the river.

I figured the Saugeen would be rounding into form so that's where we headed first.

Here's Fidel rigging in the parking lot:

GeenMarch2009001.jpg

The river was super high, very cold and just barely fishable.

This time of year it's all about water temperature and it's still just a bit too cold.

A few more warm days, a bit more vis in the water and I'm sure it'll be game on.

Both Bill and myself briefly had fish on, a couple headshakes and gone. And that was it for action...

Nice scenery and water though:

GeenMarch2009002.jpg

GeenMarch2009003.jpg

After hopping around a few different spots at the 'geen we packed it up and headed north to the Sauble.

What a contrast!! It was low and glass water clear (and seemingly devoid of fish as well :P ).

Gave 'er a good shot though and thoroughly enjoyed the fishing even though there was no catching involved:

GeenMarch2009004.jpg

GeenMarch2009005.jpg

GeenMarch2009006.jpg

GeenMarch2009007.jpg

Not willing to give up the ghost we headed east to Owen Sound and finished up the day fishing the harbour on the lower Sydenham.

With the water being gin clear and somewhat low the harbour is usually the better bet...

Not on this day though...dead as a doornail.

GeenMarch2009008.jpg

That's the way it goes sometimes. Sometimes you drive for 3 hours and fish hard for nada.

It's a game of timing and it's called paying your dues. :)

On the plus side I made a new friend today. (I'd fish with you anytime Fidel)

Next time we get out I guarantee the catching will be better!

Cheers, Mike

Great report Mike! When I have an opportunity to fish waters where I cant spit from one bank to the other, it's a real treat! Great photos as usual! Meeting up with another OFNer is never a waste of time...looks like you still had a great day!

Now i understand... when you dont catch anything .. you let us in on where you're fising

but when you kill it .. you leave us guessing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think Mike has killed it on more then a few popular rivers :)

Mike and Fidel it was an absolute blast!! Even without the fish, it was non stop laughter..

Fidel, watching you make monster casts in Owen Sound with flyline clear over the entire road inbetween cars was hilarious!!!

Next time will be reary epic!!!

I think Mike has killed it on more then a few popular rivers :)

Mike and Fidel it was an absolute blast!! Even without the fish, it was non stop laughter..

Fidel, watching you make monster casts in Owen Sound with flyline clear over the entire road inbetween cars was hilarious!!!

Next time will be reary epic!!!

I was desperate to hook into something LOL.. Something with a straight V-6 woulda been a hoot! :lol:

Great link up guys. Maybe next week we'll get our fill..

Ya'll can have your chuckles, you'll be slobbering on your keyboards next time!

Solopaddler takes people he doesn't like to rivers that aren't fishing well.LOL j/k

Great report and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. Definitely would love to take a few drifts in those rivers in the near future.

Same results locally

Sun, moon, wind direction, barometer and locusts have bamboozeled our efforts this week.

DouG

Anton

Billy-Curtissss

And myself, have failed.

(at least Fidel didn't hook you with crazy casts!!!) :rolleyes: