Sunday March 15th - Lac Leamy Report

Leecher

Today the plan was for my daughter and I to hit Lac Leamy for some quality time out on the hard surface. Got up at 8:15am, temp was 0C and no wind, perfect :D

Left home at 8:45am and got to destination at 9:00am. No one around to be seen, had the lake to ourselves B)

Did not target the same area as yesterday in front of the creek, went a little further near the beach. We were on top of a weed bed in about 12 - 15 fow.

This was my daughters first outing on ice and I was real excited about that. On our way over, I explained the different scenarios of when a fish strikes on how / when to set the hook. She took it all in and I could see it in her eyes that she was as pump as me about this trip. As soon as we arrived, drilled the first hole and got a tipup setup with a dead minnow. Within seconds, the tip goes down and I yell "THERE'S A FISH MELISSA GO FOR IT..."

She reached for the line, felt the bite and yanked to set the hook, she pulled on the line and landed her first ever perch B) Here's a pic of it

DSC01673.jpg

I was so proud of her.... Way to go girl :thumbsup_anim:

After that I drilled my second hole and setup the tipup the same as the first.... and what do you know, tip goes down and it's my turn :w00t: I land a perch also, here's the pic

DSC01674.jpg

and this shot of her manning the lines

DSC01672.jpg

At this point I'm thinking that somehow this would not be the end so I drilled another hole for the jigging rod, got setup with jig / spoon type of lure tipped with white fish fry. I jigged for a couple of minutes and then my daughter says to me, "can I try it..." I gave her the rod and shot a little video of her.... here it is

th_MOV01675.jpg

While she was having fun, my first tipup goes down, I ran to it and set the hook and landed my second perch. Here's the pic

DSC01676.jpg

Then at around 10:00am it went dead so I drilled another hole for Melissa nearby. She went to it and got busy jigging.... Then it happens.... big strike WHAM, reel is screaming and this fish was going psycho on her and then nothing :blink: It managed to get off the treble hooks. Melissa was like "What happened... I had this fish..."

So I says to her "this sometimes happens but keep jigging.... it just might come back for another strike". At this point Melissa is more determined to stick it out and work hard. I drilled another hole for her a little further out but she did not get any strike. So after a little while i says to her "may be you should try the same hole that you missed the big fish", she proceed to it and what do you know.... you guessed it WHAM!!!!! another big fish hit.....

she set's the hook and the battle begins.... I tell her to take her time and keep steady pressure on the line.... she did extremely well and landed her very first pike :clapping:

Here's is the pic

DSC01677.jpg

Watching her fight this fish was so amazing and I'm real happy that she got another shot at it.... man what a rush :clapping:

At around 1:00pm we called it day and went home..... that was the best 4 hours I spent on ice this year and couldn't be more happier for my daughter.

All in all we caught 4 fish and 2 of them were Melissa's PB!!!!

All fish were CPR'd

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

nice going

it's great when the kids enjoy fishing

Thanks Terry!!! I'm real proud of her and guess what.... she wants to go next Friday cause it's a day off from school and specifically told me to book Friday off at work LOL

If the ice is safe enough.... will have another go at it B)

Very nice Jacques! Congrats to you and Melissa on a great outing.

Thanks Roy!!! I was so excited when she landed this beaut that I took a pic and then wanted a vid of the release..... don't ask me what happened but didn't turn out on the camera :wallbash:

All I have is this.... and you can actually see the high five as shadow in this vid.... here it is

th_MOV01678.jpg

I think I'll add this to my original thread cause this is a moment that I can't forget B)

WOO HOO!!! Congrats on such a great day! Your daughter is a natural with that jigging rod...a chip off the old block for sure. She'll always remember these days when the two of you get out...special times indeed.

Great looking fish...and and awesome pike!

Awesome report. Always awesome when family is along.

Thanks JohnAB!!!

WOO HOO!!! Congrats on such a great day! Your daughter is a natural with that jigging rod...a chip off the old block for sure. She'll always remember these days when the two of you get out...special times indeed.

Great looking fish...and and awesome pike!

Thanks Cliff!!! She's one proud little girl and daddy included :thumbsup_anim:

Now that is the kind of fishing report I just love to read.

Forget about the big monster fish and the bragging. Sharing time and our favourite pastime with our young ones. Getting them to try something new and succeed at it. The proud smile on her face posing with her catch.

As for playing hookie, There wasn't a month in the school year where we didn't take at least one day off to go fishing and have quality time. The school principal even expressed his concern that I was depriving the kids of a valuable education. Trust me, our children will gain far more in a day shared outdoors with parents than they can learn in a week of school.

Congrats to Melissa - good job. And great on you Jacques for your 'quality' time with your daughter. :clapping:

Thanks twilight!!! I'm so proud of her and couldn't ask for any thing better B)

Now that is the kind of fishing report I just love to read.

Forget about the big monster fish and the bragging. Sharing time and our favourite pastime with our young ones. Getting them to try something new and succeed at it. The proud smile on her face posing with her catch.

As for playing hookie, There wasn't a month in the school year where we didn't take at least one day off to go fishing and have quality time. The school principal even expressed his concern that I was depriving the kids of a valuable education. Trust me, our children will gain far more in a day shared outdoors with parents than they can learn in a week of school.

Thanks Bruce!!!! Her smile says it all and yesterday was just so perfect :thumbsup_anim:

Great report and congrats on Melissa's PB...

Thanks b2kptbo!!!

Great report and congrats to Melissa. Some quality time for both of you and memories for a lifetime. ;):thumbsup_anim:

Thanks fishnsled!!! Yes... memories for a life time for sure :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats to both you and your daughter. It's amazing how quick they pick up the whole "fishing" thing. You know I enjoy fishing with my son. It just does get any better than that! I also have two older girls that will dip a line in with us when ever they get the chance. Those are memories that last a life time! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Congrats to both you and your daughter. It's amazing how quick they pick up the whole "fishing" thing. You know I enjoy fishing with my son. It just does get any better than that! I also have two older girls that will dip a line in with us when ever they get the chance. Those are memories that last a life time! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks motion!!! It's amazing for sure!!!! Only had to show her a couple of times on how to use the jigging rod and after that she worked it by herself and got rewarded big time for her efforts B)

I certainly feel the passion you have in spending time on the water with your son.... like you said just doesn't get any better than that :thumbsup_anim:

The reward for us as parents in unbelievable :w00t: going out for a few hours is what's all about and getting into fish is bonus!!

Thanks again and looking forward to reading your future reports!!!

Leechman

AWESOME report jaques!

love the pictures!

your realy putting a slaying on those perch!

youv become the perch GOD! :worthy:

ps : PLEASE dont quote me! :w00t:

Thanks Kev!!! The perch thing..... don't worry..... I won't ;):lol:

You're a great guy for getting your daughter out on the ice Jacques. I'm sure it's something you'll both never forget.

Thanks Ben!!! :thumbsup_anim: It sure is a moment that Melissa and I won't soon forget!!

Awesome Jacques,

Damn i hate you! you got me all bleary eyed sitting here, anything to do with kids pushes all my buttons at the moment....lol. The high 5 video is an all time classic...very 'arthouse' but unpretentious....lol.

The ice looks so smooth there......mind you we're having a real melt here.....its been bright sunshine and +6 - +10 C for the last couple of days.

I'm due to take my mum out on the ice today....hoping for some high 5's myself.

Thanks for the post....great stuff....congrats to Mellissa on a good size PB pike

all the best from a very tired Limey....lol.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks Spiel!!!

Awesome Jacques,

The high 5 video is an all time classic...very 'arthouse' but unpretentious....lol.

The ice looks so smooth there......mind you we're having a real melt here.....its been bright sunshine and +6 - +10 C for the last couple of days.

I'm due to take my mum out on the ice today....hoping for some high 5's myself.

Thanks for the post....great stuff....congrats to Mellissa on a good size PB pike

all the best from a very tired Limey....lol.

Thanks Simon!!! That video was supposed to be showing my daughter with her PB and then the release but somehow, with the excitement, forgot to push the record button LOL I guess I managed to push it after the release and captured that moment LOL I was contempt that at least we had the high 5 on that clip LOL

For those that wonder what I said to her.... here's the translation "told you he would come back..."

Now I have to go buy another rod cause she just won't give that one back LOL

Good luck out there with your mom and report back the results :thumbsup_anim:

thats a great report Jaques glad to hear the two of you had a good day on the ice and that the weather co-operated

thanks for the read

Matt!

Thanks Matt!!!