Perfect day... perfect ice conditions. N/F !

irishfield

I know there's a few airplane buffs that hang out here... enjoy...

Got a call Friday that the, generally annual, Mathedash Lake fly in at John and Silvia Richards was on. Couldn't have picked a better day for my son and I to fly over for some chilli and to see old friends. A bit of a heavy breeze but perfect ice conditions for any landing gear configuration. Shows how many friends this great couple have made over the years. They get 4 times the number of flyins on a couple days notice that other advertised events get. Love John's old Johnson 30's as well... still running like a top 35 years later. Wish I had of remember my ice rods though.... maybe I'll go back this week and do a fishing report as well...

waynedaryldjk.jpg

match1.jpg

match2.jpg

match3.jpg

match4.jpg

match5.jpg

If anyone recognizes this.. the skis where the first thing I saw in Les Strouds Survivor Man Temagami episode and I knew who's airplane it was.. Peter Dale dropped him off on the back lake.

match6.jpg

match7.jpg

The hosts..John and Silvia Richards

match8.jpg

match9.jpg

matcha.jpg

matchb.jpg

matchc.jpg

matchd.jpg

matche.jpg

matchf.jpg

matchg.jpg

Two "homebuilt" helicopters.

matchh.jpg

matchi.jpg

matchj.jpg

matchk.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Now I really am jealous of you up north types.

Are those Champs on skis (judging by the CF reg. I would say they are) or are they home builts of some type. They look like homebuilt paint schemes but classic Aeronca lines.

What a day for it eh?

Thanks for the great post.

Jim

See Jim... instead of pissing and moaning about how cold it is you could get out and enjoy it you know! lol

A mix Jim... some are still certified... some are homebuilts. The jazzy champ is registered amateur built... or at least it' better be with the air master auto pitch prop on it ! lol... I'll look it up!

Edit:

FIVT is in owner maintenance... so prop is, as long as he's logged it, legal.

Edited by irishfield

I love aircraft Wayne. Been up a few times over the years and it's a thrill every time.

A local aircraft club took my scout troop up about 12 years ago. It was very good of them.

Here is a pic I found in dads collection of slides from around 1950. No idea what it is.

2-6-2009_070.jpg

By the way, an uncle of mine still runs one of those old Johnsons too. Runs like a top!