Some big white bass

ehg

Had some morning obligations but was still able to get out fishing this afternoon with my buddy Dave.

Tried our usual spot to see what was happening. Got all prepared and arrived there to see the whole northern shore of Lake Ontario looking like chocolate milk in this area. We still went out thinking it would clear once away from shore.

IMG_0016-1.jpg

You can't really tell from picture above but visibility was less than a foot from all the rain and melted snow dumping in the lake a couple days ago. No matter how far out from shore it was still murky. Turned out to be one of the lesser excursions but still managed some fish.

Dave managed some decent white bass. Some pictures

IMG_0021-1.jpg

more

IMG_0018-1.jpg

and more

IMG_0020-1.jpg

Caught one of these things you don't see to often

IMG_0017-3.jpg

It is a gizzard shad. They are plant eaters so i think i snagged it in it's face.

Probably why they are rarely caught.

Actually was not the best fishing day but was nice to get out on softwater and cast etc...

Saw this oddness when arriving back at the vehicle

IMG_0022-2.jpg

Some dude was ripping around on the ice on his motorcycle.

IMG_0023-1.jpg

It was pretty wicked and he was going fast. Once he stopped to show his tires which were

studded. He said the faster you go and sharper you turn the more they dig in the ice.

IMG_0024.jpg

Pretty cool stuff!

You're mad.

It was clearly murky out there.

Yet you went anyways??!! :wallbash:

I'm waiting for Tuesday for the brown water to leave.

I'm in awe of the species that are attracted to the warm water there.

Can't wait for your piranha and shark reports! LOL

Way to go EHG (Erik Has Gonads)

:clapping:

Excellent report and pics Erik!!! :canadian::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

The "so-called" Gizzard Shad is clearly a mutant Whitefish and should've had it's pic taken with our Team Logo to be entered into the tourney Bubba!!!

... as a matter of fact, pic all of your fish with the logo... and I'll decide what they are at the time of posting!!! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post that Bubba!!! :clapping:

I can't tell from the picture if it's a factory ice tire but we used to do this to our bikes and 3 and 4 wheeler tires all the time. All you need is a few hours, a few boxes of cap screws, and a socket on a drill to turn them into the knobs. If i remember right, it usually takes 3-500 for each tire depending on how big it is. There are proper hardened screws for this too but we never bothered... talk about grabby traction.

Thanks for the replies!

Probably the worst fishing day out there, never had 'blown' conditions in this area.

The gizzard shad was pretty strange however, too bad it was so slimy and kinda smelled strong.

The motorcycle on the ice was real cool though. The fella said the tires were factory tires. The studs weren't sharp they seemed more like they crushed the ice for traction.

Hopefully will have better luck with the fishing next time.

cheers,

ehg

Here in Ohio studded tires were legal, I don`t do enough driving to worry about them any more. Tire had pre made hole in them and most tire shops could insert the studs for a few bucks a tire. Hard to beat on icey roads, probably the only thing better is chains but a hassle to put on and remove. I always used to use studded tires on my cars in the winter. Points aren`t sharp, looks kind of like a pop rivet, hardened.

LOL never seen a shad? Wait till you experience one of their die offs. They seem to be severely affected by water temperature and can die off in the thousands, smell, and if your using a lure with exposed hooks you get to remove smelly dead shad from them.

If you're caught on the road with studs on your tires south of Parry Sound it's a $1k fine. Just sayin'.......

Frenchman's Bay is fine though, and slightly awesome :D

What water temps usually start putting your usual spot off, how long can the brownie bite still be decent there?

Keep meaning to go back there but my gonads are starting to shrivel with age. Ever see any pickeral, used to get some nice ones after dark along the rip rap there after dark?