Todays economy and strikes

misfish

Seem the school board wants more and by the sounds of it,dont care what comes of it. Get what they want,or strike.

Heres my statment on this.

If you are a teacher and offended :blahblah1:

Fathers and mothers are losing thier jobs, Some are just hanging onto thier jobs. Can they afford childcare,can they afford to take time off of work to care for thier children?

NO NO NO.

I know what I am saying ,as we went through this during a teachers strike. Lucky for us then,our working conditions were good and we could take turns with days off and had friends to help watch the kids.Cost us holidays, but we got through it.

In this day of lay offs and loss of jobs.ya all need to give yer head a shake on this one.

Or is the thinking,THEY NEED US.

Teachers and those above them, need to go back to the care for the child and help them learn. This crap puts a real sour taste in my mouth.

I always wondered about home teaching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I CAN SEE WHY THEY DO IT.

This crap is getting way out of hand,and well like the CAW,yer NEXT.

This is one strike I want the goverment to say back to work,if ya dont,see ya.Next.

This really is not a union bash as more a deeper topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our children and grandchildrens future.

Im done venting.

so are you saying someone who works 9.5 months a year 6.5 hrs a day should be happy with the 92 thousand bucks they were offered

and not want the same pay as high school teachers 96 thousand and you think they daont need more planing time less teaching time

dang, in many parts of the USA the same doesn't make 45 thousand

Seem the school board wants more and by the sounds of it,dont care what comes of it. Get what they want,or strike.

Heres my statment on this.

If you are a teacher and offended :blahblah1:

Fathers and mothers are losing thier jobs, Some are just hanging onto thier jobs. Can they afford childcare,can they afford to take time off of work to care for thier children?

NO NO NO.

I know what I am saying ,as we went through this during a teachers strike. Lucky for us then,our working conditions were good and we could take turns with days off and had friends to help watch the kids.Cost us holidays, but we got through it.

In this day of lay offs and loss of jobs.ya all need to give yer head a shake on this one.

Or is the thinking,THEY NEED US.

Teachers and those above them, need to go back to the care for the child and help them learn. This crap puts a real sour taste in my mouth.

I always wondered about home teaching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I CAN SEE WHY THEY DO IT.

This crap is getting way out of hand,and well like the CAW,yer NEXT.

This is one strike I want the goverment to say back to work,if ya dont,see ya.Next.

This really is not a union bash as more a deeper topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our children and grandchildrens future.

Im done venting.

wheres my hat to take off for ya.....we know this thread will get tanked soon so here is some more to add...

Unions

they certainly had thier place in past to secure better conditions, asafe environment, better pay and beyond of that there is no doubt and many owe thier current situation to union members from past..our global economy has changed there are policies and programs in place to protect workers at the work force I for one think unions have out lived thier times and I think much of those dues could go to better places like workers pockets

I guess what I am asking????????????

Are you all in it for the money,or for the love of teaching?

Did ya all spend that collage/university fund thinking you were going to make millions back,or did ya spend it on seeing the satisfaction smile on those kids faces.

Never mind the dawg,he barks alot,bu tol yeller had his teeth pulled.

Edited by misfish

I have to say - I think our educators deserve a decent living - they certainly do an important job. And I want the best teaching my kids.

But having said that - there's only one pocket all this comes out of - and sooner or later that pot is going to run dry (many think it already is). In addition to that, the thing I get tired of is what appears to be the lack of quality control. I think most of the teachers out there are good, but it doesn't seem like their performance is what drives their remuneration. What seems to matter only is the number of letters behind their names. Something that many of us in private industry don't have the luxury of - either perform - (and the bar is always being raised) or say good-bye.

Timing is everything and this certainly isn't good timing to be conducting these types of negotiations especially with public money. Hopefully they use the education they've got and think this through. Public opinion certainly isn't going to be on their side if they walk out.

Like I said,union aside,I want to know, why they got into this profession for????????

Educating or the money?

When I was in high school.it was all about the teaching.Yeah, I still skipped and failed classes,but they always tried to help me make it up.

Edited by misfish

I'm not a teacher, and have to say that I'm not so sure I would want to be. Times have changed, laws have changed, much has changed. In many ways it's a doggie dog world and I would think that any one of us would like to make more money. Haven't they though agreed on some things although I'm not too 'up' on their 'demands'.

Depressing is what it is to be living in our messed up world....it's tough being a young person trying to figure out what profession to get into, never mind having to deal with peer pressure, troubles at home and some teacher in your face cuz you didn't get your homework done...where and how do young people get rid of their stress...cuz they have it too....do you think maybe it happens in the classroom...no doubt some of it does....one teacher with 30 or more young people who are getting ticked off at the world because in their eyes adults messed up and that one adult standing up there getting the summers off, driving a nice car should really 'earn' their easy money.

Who knows eh.

I'm not a teacher, and have to say that I'm not so sure I would want to be. Times have changed, laws have changed, much has changed. In many ways it's a doggie dog world and I would think that any one of us would like to make more money. Haven't they though agreed on some things although I'm not too 'up' on their 'demands'.

Depressing is what it is to be living in our messed up world....it's tough being a young person trying to figure out what profession to get into, never mind having to deal with peer pressure, troubles at home and some teacher in your face cuz you didn't get your homework done...where and how do young people get rid of their stress...cuz they have it too....do you think maybe it happens in the classroom...no doubt some of it does....one teacher with 30 or more young people who are getting ticked off at the world because in their eyes adults messed up and that one adult standing up there getting the summers off, driving a nice car should really 'earn' their easy money.

Who knows eh.

Yea like the leader of Teachers in New Brunswick that the CBC did a big stink about because this week he is the victim where last week it was the kids, parents, and us Hicks that cared when he decided to take the Anthem away from morning periods because HE felt that the students shouldn't be as he quoted SUBJECTED to the National Anthem. This looney toon ring piece should remember who actually pays for the schooling. Yup you got it. Me and you and the Students parents. I still remember the incompetence's in our High school that called themselves educators. Oh yea and in the 70s we had a lot of strikes. It only hurts the students in the end. LOL look what happened to me. I blame it on the Strikes. Now can I get stress leave and payment.

Edited by holdfast

When I was in high school.it was all about the teaching.Yeah, I still skipped and failed classes,but they always tried to help me make it up.

That still happens, misfish. Except now the problems with the kids are even worse. Those kids in gangs, ignored by their parents, no respect, violence, all the social ills we been talkin bout, guess who gets to deal with that during daylight. Sometimes they show up for class, a gr 9 with 20 dime bags and a flick knife. 26 slime and mold filled portable classrooms, and 70 bus loads of kids every day. This happens in Halton region, btw.

The teaching still happens, and they try even harder these days, with credit recovery programs, opp or regional police on campus, adult ed courses and sidestream diplomas where you learn to read roadsigns, cook for yourself, and stay off welfare.

I can pick more than a few folks that would totally suck at that job.

Edited by douG

You guys don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know a single teacher making 92k. I bet the average salary is 60.

Much of the platform they are supposedly striking behind has little to do with salary and much to do with funding for your/our kids. I personally don't get why that is their issue to fight for, but for some reason its part of it. Maybe because most of the stuff in your child's classroom was paid for by the teachers, out of their pockets, and isn't tax deductible. So...maybe funding from the government means they dont have to pay for it themselves.....i have no idea.

I think the contract they're negotiating is for 4 years or 5 years. The optics on timing are bad, but its hard to not ask for $ increase that at least matches inflation when you're locked in to that for quite a while.

The negotiation has been happening for a long time (a year or two?). While i doubt they go on strike soon anyway (has the union said that, or the media just hyping it up to make news), there has been ample time to get something negotiated on both sides.

But again, the part that pisses me off is that teachers pay for most of the stuff in kids' classrooms. That shouldnt' be the case.

btw - someone should look up what board administration folks make. Plus look up what the custodial staff make.......and then compare both to teachers.

Its fine to complain about it coming out of OUR pockets, but I would rather pay my kids' teachers more $$ and the board administrators less (many of whom make multiple hundreds of thousands).

Oh, yes ! The favourite teacher bashing has started. I agree that this is not a good time to be talking strike. The teachers should be setting an example in these hard times, but.......

It's always funny to hear the half truths from someone looking from the outside in.

I have friends in all kinds of jobs. One is a bricklayer. He lives ina very nice house (mortgage free) and has two very nice SUVs. He goes to Florida for the winter, has a boat down there. I know he makes a pile of money (he won't tell me how much). He has all kinds of investments. What an over paid job. So one day he asked me to help him out. So this is my big break, I can learn how to make some big money. Up at 5:00 am and at the job site by 6:00 am we worked until sundown that summer day till about 9:300 pm. Now I think he's under paid. I worked one day and I was sore for a week. He does this 6 (sometimes 7) days a week. I think he earns his money.

Another buddy is a heavy machine operator. You the those big rigs for excavting that you see on highway construction. He works like a dog and makes a lot of cash. Has the winters of to do whatever he wants. Nice job huh? Is he over paid?

I've a pile of stories like that, and I'm sure you do too.

Just about every job looks that way until you get in there and sniff around.

Now let's look at teachers.

In 2005 (it was the only data I could find in a hurry) the average daycare per child in Ontario was $420 per month. At that rate a teacher with 30 students for 10 months would earn ....lemme see....... $420 X 30 X 10 = $126000 . I could handle that. Oh yes, they have to teach too. Teach to strict Provincial tests (EQAO) so that when the school gets rated, they get blamed if the their school doesn't preform to some expection that is set by someone else. If the school scores are high, well the students are really great. Teachers are required to be educators, guidance councillors, coaches, cirriculmn planners and report to each parent if there are any concerns. Teach discipline , values and deal with every issue from , bullying, gangs, drugs, nutrition, hygene and abuse often with little support from some of the parents of these kids that need the most help. They take courses to improve their teaching skills and to stay on track with new changes in education in thier OWN TIME DURING THE SUMMERS! They take work home to be marked and corrected on a daily basis (most people don't get to see that). They have to prepare lessons that will motivate the students to learn (try that some time) and they do not have a choice in the topic s that they teach.

$96000 at year if you last 10 years and you are in the top category, most start with a lot less than that.

I'm a retired teacher. I was at work at 7:00 am and usually left at 7:00 pm. Once we had children of our own I left work at 5:00 pm (still got there at 7:00 am) and I would work after the kids went to bed. Weekends, what weekends? I was marking most weekends, but I had the summers off and I was over paid.

A neighbour of my used to give me the gears on how easy my job was, over paid, summers of until his son married a teacher. Then he changed his tune a little. When he retired he volunteered at the local school for 2 days a week. A month late he apologized to me. He asked, "How do you put up with all the crap every day, yet alone teach?" He was a very successful hard working Civil Engineer.

Yes, it always looks good from where you're standing. I respect everyone's job and I don't knock what they are making. If it was that easy we'd all be doing that job. Teachers are the easiest group to complain about. Why not, free daycare and an education to boot at a bargain price. The "love of teaching" is gone. Thank Mr. Mike Harris for that. Standardize everything taught and process the kids like little sausages. It's very cost effective.

Enough!

Muddler

Oh, yes ! The favourite teacher bashing has started. I agree that this is not a good time to be talking strike. The teachers should be setting an example in these hard times, but.......

It's always funny to hear the half truths from someone looking from the outside in.

I have friends in all kinds of jobs. One is a bricklayer. He lives ina very nice house (mortgage free) and has two very nice SUVs. He goes to Florida for the winter, has a boat down there. I know he makes a pile of money (he won't tell me how much). He has all kinds of investments. What an over paid job. So one day he asked me to help him out. So this is my big break, I can learn how to make some big money. Up at 5:00 am and at the job site by 6:00 am we worked until sundown that summer day till about 9:300 pm. Now I think he's under paid. I worked one day and I was sore for a week. He does this 6 (sometimes 7) days a week. I think he earns his money.

Another buddy is a heavy machine operator. You the those big rigs for excavting that you see on highway construction. He works like a dog and makes a lot of cash. Has the winters of to do whatever he wants. Nice job huh? Is he over paid?

In 2005 (it was the only data I could find in a hurry) the average daycare per child in Ontario was $420 per month. At that rate a teacher with 30 students for 10 months would earn ....lemme see....... $420 X 30 X 10 = $126000 . I could handle that. Oh yes, they have to teach too. Teach to strict Provincial tests (EQAO) so that when the school gets rated, they get blamed if the their school doesn't preform to some expection that is set by someone else. If the school scores are high, well the students are really great. Teachers are required to be educators, guidance councillors, coaches, cirriculmn planners and report to each parent if there are any concerns. Teach discipline , values and deal with every issue from , bullying, gangs, drugs, nutrition, hygene and abuse often with little support from some of the parents of these kids that need the most help. They take courses to improve their teaching skills and to stay on track with new changes in education in thier OWN TIME DURING THE SUMMERS! They take work home to be marked and corrected on a daily basis (most people don't get to see that). They have to prepare lessons that will motivate the students to learn (try that some time) and they do not have a choice in the topic s that they teach.

$96000 at year if you last 10 years and you are in the top category, most start with a lot less than that.

I'm a retired teacher. I was at work at 7:00 am and usually left at 7:00 pm. Once we had children of our own I left work at 5:00 pm (still got there at 7:00 am) and I would work after the kids went to bed. Weekends, what weekends? I was marking most weekends, but I had the summers off and I was over paid.

A neighbour of my used to give me the gears on how easy my job was, over paid, summers of until his son married a teacher. Then he changed his tune a little. When he retired he volunteered at the local school for 2 days a week. A month late he apologized to me. He asked, "How do you put up with all the crap every day, yet alone teach?" He was a very successful hard working Civil Engineer.

Yes, it always looks good from where you're standing. I respect everyone's job and I don't knock what they are making. If it was that easy we'd all be doing that job. Teachers are the easiest group to complain about. Why not, free daycare and an education to boot at a bargain price. The "love of teaching" is gone. Thank Mr. Mike Harris for that. Standardize everything taught and process the kids like little sausages. It's very cost effective.

Enough!

Muddler

:clapping:

Well reasoned and nicely spoken post, muddler. Walk a mile in his shoes.

Another great example of that is the profession of dentist. I have no idea how much they make, but it might be in the range of 200-350 k or more. Yet, dentists have the highest rate of suicide of any profession. How hard could it be to do a little tippy tap, pick, poke etc.?

That ain't woikin, that's the way you do it. I bet those dentists get their chicks for free. Money for nothing, not to mention.

Edited by douG

Enough!

Muddler

Love your last two Lines. Ahhh Yes, Premiere Harris Charter of Education Rights and Responsibilities having teachers Re-Certify every 3-5 years. Boy did that ever give you guys a stink. As Big as the Snitch line for Welfare fraud. Yea I remember how the teachers cried that the students would hurt because the teachers had to upgrade, or shall I say, Refresh themselves as a lot were getting stale to the point of incompetent to teach. I thought he had some good Ideas and initiatives, Good man but wrong Province.