Some Simcoe action.

Sinker

Spent the last 2 days on simcoe chasing whities and trout.

Wed, met up with Buckster at JP, for a day out with Hanks huts. Fishing was a little slow, but the afternoon brought me 2 decent lakers. Lost 2 other fish......not much luck for Buckster. I was happy with the lakers, I wasn't really expecting too much action.

Today, got to the acess and it was -29. No wind, and clear sky. We hitched up 2 portables, and headed out to no mans land, to aimlessly wander the open ice in search of our quarry. The auger fell off the sleigh about 1 mile from our intended destination, so we drilled a hole. Within 5 mins Ritchie had a fish on, 10 seconds later, Frank had one too.........we almost got a triple header, but I was a little slow getting the first one....... :whistling:

The action never did stop all morning, and into the afternoon. We had a great mix of whities and lakers.

I was having cold issues with my camera for the morning. Just too cold to operate I guess.....but I got it working after putting the batteries in my inside pockets.

Once the sun was up, it was just a beauty day out there. Its not hard to keep warm in the dry cold, with no wind. Most of the time my mitts sat on the ice.

P1140033.jpg

We left with a few whities for the table, and I got an entry for the tourney.

Heres our set up.

Eskimo quickflip, with a clam scout behind. Conditions were perfect for travelling by sled out there. Can't really get much better. Conditions over all, were great.

P1140034.jpg

The ice has really been forming with this cold weather. I measured at least 12" everywhere today, and one spot had 15".......all clear black ice. You could see the fish thru it, it was that clear. By the weekend, there will be trucks going out there for sure.......careful of the cracks!

P1140032.jpg

Great day, and a great start to my simcoe hardwater adventures :thumbsup_anim:

P1140029.jpg

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Great stuff Sinker !!! Cold, but great. Cuts down on the "competition" out there for sure ! lol

I did a 50 MPH boot up the laneway this afternoon on the sled... with my cutter and hut behind.... for a check run. Was a tad cold on the face and ears !

Edited by irishfield

Nice report. I like how you decided to stop and fish at the first sign of something flying off your sled. It appears to have worked out. Any hints as to tackle used?
d

Thanks guys,

We got most of them on bad boys. Green/black with a 2" tube in chartreuse. Fairly aggressive jig was the ticket. 72 FOW. The cold was totally bearable. I've been out on days when its just below zero that were much harder to keep warm. No wind and full sun is easy to keep warm!!!

Sinker

Greatr stuff Sinker!

Love the bit about the auger deciding the honey hole....

Good lookin' whities as well.

Definitely got me fired up to get out on Saturday! ( i might even have my sled)

You have also inspired me to stop being a wimp and get out......its -40C this morning...so i wont be going out....but i have been out in -29 before, i'm getting old....lol.