Truck goes through the ice!!!!!!!!!

I think I will reserve any sort of judgement for when I see the real story for myself.

Its just a result of Bad Luck...He just happen to drive in a area where there thin ice , maybe a hundred feet long by 40 feet wide

Everywhere else in the Bay there is a good 10 inches or more

At the other end of the bay,,1000feet away there was 15 to 20 trucks all parked together on the ice

Why he went back to a motel and didn't phone the police right away ,kinda raises eyebrows though .

? is.. does he have an obligation to call police?? Maybe he went back to his motel to call friends and to sort out how to extract the thing. I know if I went thru at my camp in Temagami the last phone call I'd be making is the police. It would go... neighbour on the next island... then my local realestate agent (certified diver that oversaw Matt going after the truck last year on Temagami in 80 FOW) as he knows everyone and could put a recovery crew together. While that was being done... the police would end up in the loop.

I see the guys all parked together at this time of year using much more lack of judgment than this poor sap that found the thin spot. Vehicles should be parked a minimum of 80 feet apart on 12 inches of ice!

Edited by irishfield

I'm with Wayne on the police calling. They'd be the last ones to get a call from me. What are they gonna do anyways.....watch from shore?? lol

Its weird how it went in with the front end up like that though huh.....never seen that before. It must have been hung up on the front bumper before it finally dropped in?

I know one thing for sure, if I was out in my new 3/4 ton 4wd ford, I'd want about 15" of good ice under me!!!!

Sinker

truck owner: "wow, I have never been ice fishing before, Your car can't take our equipment, should I bring the truck?"

pal: "yeah ice fishing is great! All our gear can fit in that new truck of yours. We can try out those new winter tires too."

truck owner: " this is going to be great!"

poor guy. Still amusing, but, poor guy.

the question is will the cops charge you with careless? and what about the enviroment fines...happened to a chap in sudbury area his sled went to the bottom of the lake, he got charged with careless driving and polluting the enviroment fines plus the cost of recovery, i do believe he was crossing open water tho..but...

Ya some dude put a new Chev diesel dually with a plow to the bottom on Nipissing on the weekend. Ouch.

I also know that a ski doo went through but sworn to secrecy who it was. I know cause it's in our shop.

Also when touring around our island on Saturday on my ATV when pulling up close to shore my front wheels dropped through. Good thing there was only a few inches of water.

So regardless what you hear of the amount of ice there are still thin areas.

STAY ON KNOWN TRAVEL ROUTES!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bernie

How much will a recovery cost? - 3-5 grand?

And after you get the thing on shore, you tow it to a barn, or whatever, so you can dry it out.

But.. will this vehicle ever be the same?

I bet it will be worth about 1/4 of what it was worh prior to the dunking.

What a smart bunch on this forum!

Putting your vehicle through the ice could happen to almost any one of us posting on this forum. Or if not that, maybe falling out of your boat and drowning b/c your forgot your life vest that day. Or maybe forgetting your garbage back at the boat launch. Or maybe going a little too fast at night and jumping your Chapparal 40' through the air and being lucky enough for you and all of your buddies to have a laugh about it a couple of months later.

This stuff is not happening to the other guy who's way dumber than we all are - its happening to folks just like you and I.

I do lots of stupid stuff and most of it, I've been lucky enough to get away with - so far...

Putting your vehicle through the ice could happen to almost any one of us posting on this forum. Or if not that, maybe falling out of your boat and drowning b/c your forgot your life vest that day. Or maybe forgetting your garbage back at the boat launch. Or maybe going a little too fast at night and jumping your Chapparal 40' through the air and being lucky enough for you and all of your buddies to have a laugh about it a couple of months later.

This stuff is not happening to the other guy who's way dumber than we all are - its happening to folks just like you and I.

I do lots of stupid stuff and most of it, I've been lucky enough to get away with - so far...

I don't do dumb stuff.

Oh wait, yes I do.

I dont understand

It,s 4 wheel drive

Couldnt pull himself out? LOL

I guess that lift didn't help either. Not to mention the non-functional hood scoups and the 5.4 stickers (which by the way add 50 hp each)

Was the back of the truck sitting on bottom?

Many years ago a guy went through in Belleville, I don't think he got everything but I think he got his expenses covered after going to court and claiming collision damages from colliding with the bottom of the bay.

If I remember right if they can trace an oil slick to your boat its a minimum $1,000 fine, so he'll be paying something.

If they let us stud our tires he could a drove right out of there.

I won`t speak for anybody else here but it would not happen to me because I would not take my very expensive truck out onto the ice.

And that makes me smarter than all the boneheads that drive their trucks on thin ice.

A lot of people get stupid in the winter.

hey guys , this seems funny at first glance ,for sure, but there's another side to this ugly coin i'm sure . imagine comin' home to explain to your family that $30,000 0r more has vanished from the nest-egg, our truck.

bad judgement ,, ofcourse ,, bad luck ,, that too!! poor bugger.

live with that everyday on a moderate income ,,,that's tough .

Ya, you just keep painting yourself with your own paintbrush, leave the smarter ones alone.