L. Timiskaming over the weekend..

highdrifter

Wuut up Smooth Cats?!

First and foremost, I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. :santa:

It was mom's turn to host Christmas this year, which means spending a few days at the house where I grew up in New Liskeard, or Timiskaming Shores now, since the amalgamation of the townships surrounding the lake. We live on the shores of Wabi bay, at the north end of the lake. We drove up from Toronto on Christmas day, after spending the eve with the missus' folks. Apparently, the weather was gawd awful on the 24th, but we lucked out and drove under a bright sun and blue skies the next morning.

I'm not much of a hard water fisherman, but I never miss the opportunity to try my luck at making the folks happy with a good feed of walleye, so I made sure to bring some gear with me. I know the lake well (it's where I got the fishing bug), so no need to spend too much time reading the topos. This time of year, you need only find some decent depths.

We fished a prime ledge on Friday on the Haileybury side where the incline is steeper, and the depth levels out at about 20ft. We worked mostly small bad boyz jigs tipped with chubs. It didn’t take long before the action started!!

Not 15min after drilling the first hole, I pulled up this purty girl. She seemed reluctant to join us for dinner, but she finally gave in. :rolleyes: Note: My snowboard pants were shaffing me a little.. lol

gallery_439_445_25902.jpg

Not long after, Murds got a light tug on his line and pulled up... a beauty whitie!! A bit of an incidental catch for us.. I can remember catching them in the spring after ice out some years back, but they're out of reach for most the year otherwise. I can tell ya'll though, it was hoots and high fives went she plopped out on the ice!!

Murdy coping a feel..

gallery_439_445_86560.jpg

Doncha just love his flappy touque?! :thumbsup_anim:

gallery_439_445_121401.jpg

Anywho, the wind was brutal and it was getting a little dim out, so we decided to call it a day. Here's a sink pic!!

gallery_439_445_68127.jpg

Went out again Saturday for the night bite. This time, we decided to stay local. We only needed to locate some deeper water close the mouth of the Wabi River. I told Murds that if we could pinpoint the river bed, we could intercept the bigger fish as they moved out to deeper water after dark.

Dang, I love it when I'm right!! I actually found the river bed from memory and just plain luck.

As you can see, we weren't that far from shore. The lights from the boardwalk reflecting off the clouds made for a sick effect!! (it was mild and misty)..

gallery_439_445_20336.jpg

The bite was slow, but we stuck it out. I knew it wouldn't take long.

First fish came up from a set line, a nice eater. A little later, working a small bad boyz, I set the hook on what I was dreading was a ling.. I was pleasantly surprise when this beauty poked through. :clapping:

gallery_439_445_122766.jpg

PURE GOLD BABY!!

gallery_439_445_18275.jpg

Needless to say, we ate our fill on Sunday. We youtubed instructions on how to fillet white fish and googled a great beer batter recipe... The whitie actually tasted better than the larger walleye.. :canadian:

Also, here's a shot of the backyard that evening. You can just make out the lake. I consider myself quite priviledged. It really is a beautiful property.

gallery_439_445_71121.jpg

And finally, this is the scene that awaited me as I stepped out of the office Monday night. It's the intersection at University and Dundas. Guess a gust of wind blew over a bin or something... BRUTAL!!

gallery_439_445_61018.jpg

Thanks for reading. I wish everyone the best in the New Year.

cheers

HD

Great report and pics HD :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time up there and for a guy that is not much of a hard water fisherman.... you did pretty good. WTG real nice walters you caught there :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing and the best to you to for the New Year :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Leechman

Great stuff HD... how thick was the ice on Temisk... we've got 14" in our bay on Temagami.

Bout 9-10in off dark ice on the Hailey side Wayne. Honeycomb stuff a the mouth. There's a few huts, but they're mostly close to Dawson point on the barr.

Was thinking of heading your way in Febuary... wondering how thick she gets then. We may need an extension!

Great report and pics HD :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time up there and for a guy that is not much of a hard water fisherman.... you did pretty good. WTG real nice walters you caught there :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing and the best to you to for the New Year :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Leechman

Merci Jacques. Quand sa vient au doré, j'ai la touch.

Nice work dude. I unfortunately didn't get to do any ice fishing on my northern sojourn. Soon though...

Ah that's totally bung dude. The fam musta kept you busy... Family was the reason I went too, but I stayed cause of the lake was staring me back from the kitchen and was calling to me.. :whistling::rolleyes:

Still got a spot for me on your next exodus?! :)

Happy New Year brotha!!