Downloading from bit torrent sites legal in Canada ??

darsky

I have been getting movies and such from places like mininova for years and never had any problem. Last week I dl'd W. and a few days later got this email from my service provider......

Subject: Illicit Use of your Internet Access

Madam, Sir,

We received a complaint affirming that activities associated with your IP address may infringe intellectual property rights of a third party.

We would like to remind you that the reproduction of protected material constitutes an infringement to the exclusive right of its holder. This behaviour could expose you to legal action from this third party and to a judgment to pay damages. Generally, you must obtain the permission or

rights in order to reproduce any protected material.

Please note that Videotron will not take any action against you, but if legal actions were to be brought against you by the plaintiff, we would have no other alternative except than hold you responsible for any damages you may have caused. We thus ask you to cease any activity that may be considered an infringement of a third party’s intellectual property rights.

Here is the infringing material according to the complaint:

Evidentiary information:

Notice ID: 10110399

Recent infringement timestamp: 2008-12-08T23:32:27.000Z

Infringed work: W.

Infringing file name: W.CAM.XviD-CAMELOT

Infringing file size: 732558807

Protocol: BitTorrent

Infringing URL: http://www.torrent-god.com/announce.php

Infringing IP address:

Infringing DNS name: modemcable026.150-58-74.mc.videotron.ca

Because of privacy concerns, we cannot give any information regarding the plaintiff, as we do not provide any information to the plaintiff about you except if ordered by a court of law. If you want to know who the plaintiff is, you can search on the internet who is the copyright owner of the material referenced in the complaint.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Yours truly,

Internet Security

Vidéotron ltée

Anyone remember the Metallica thing with Napster? Same type of issue?

Edited by darsky

Of course it's illegal to share files using P2P software such as Bit Torrent.

Your ISP is using software to gather info on P2P protocol transfers on their network.

All the info gathered will be stored in a database incase there are lawsuits filed as there were in the Napster suits. The info can be used to charge and or sue you for theft of intellectual property.

Now you are informed, download at your own risk!!! B)

I thought in canada they said downloading copyrighted stuff still is legal

uploading the same may be illegal in canada

that is why maybe you shouldn't use Bit Torrent they upload the same time they download

do it the old fashion way..get it off off file share sites

The thing with torrents, especially private trackers is that in order to be a member you must seed (share) back whatever you download. So a 4 gig DVDR becomes closer to 8 gigs once seeded back. So internet providers have caught on and are trying to throttle torrent traffic to try and turn ppl away from torrents. I have no idea why you would have thought it was legal to share copyrighted material. While nothing pops up to prevent you from downloading anything, it doesn't mean its legal. Like anything in life, when laws are in place but not enforced it doesn't take long for ppl to assume its ok and believe they won't get dealt with. I use private trackers myself and get incredibly high speeds and don't have to worry (as much) about security as with public trackers or low level private sites like Demonoid. ISP's like Rogers have, in recent months, installed bandwidth caps (60 gigs) to try and fight torrents and their high use of bandwidth. Adding a $/gig charge for additional use is how it works now.

The thing with torrents, especially private trackers is that in order to be a member you must seed (share) back whatever you download. So a 4 gig DVDR becomes closer to 8 gigs once seeded back. So internet providers have caught on and are trying to throttle torrent traffic to try and turn ppl away from torrents. I have no idea why you would have thought it was legal to share copyrighted material. While nothing pops up to prevent you from downloading anything, it doesn't mean its legal. Like anything in life, when laws are in place but not enforced it doesn't take long for ppl to assume its ok and believe they won't get dealt with. I use private trackers myself and get incredibly high speeds and don't have to worry (as much) about security as with public trackers or low level private sites like Demonoid. ISP's like Rogers have, in recent months, installed bandwidth caps (60 gigs) to try and fight torrents and their high use of bandwidth. Adding a $/gig charge for additional use is how it works now.

There are other ways of dealing with high bandwidth traffic. I used to run a small ISP and would limit the available bandwidth on a protocol basis and used QOS (Quality of Service) to reserve bandwitdh for time/bandwidth sensitive protocols such as VOIP and Streaming Media.

Wow. Sounds like you're under their radar...

Even if it's a scare tactic, I'd take the warning seriously. Ever try using Scrapetorrent and Vuse? Used them for years and never had a problem..

I'd look into this a little bit further though. Looks like they're monitoring your IP!!

cheers

HD

ive been downloading everything from music up to hardcore software for at least 7 years and i have received ONE email from rogers. they actually turned off the internet for 1 week. i ended up getting credit on the account because of that...

and the reason they suspended my internet? i downloaded a no-cd patch for a game my buddy gave me. odd how i get a warning from a legal game but not the other ones i downloaded

just make sure u dont seed back

If you understood the whole idea of the torrent system you would know that doesn't work too well. The idea is to create a system where ppl share files instead of just taking them. Users who share back at a good rate have exceptionally better download speeds than those who try and limit their uploads. If all you want is to download and not have to share back then perhaps you should get into newsgroups.

HD.. wait until they send his better half a list of all the other "sites" he's been watching videos on ! :D

...she knows em all.Heck-when things are good we watch em together. And HD I have been using Vuze / Azureus for years and I received this. Actually I got TWO emails. One was for Transporter 3 the other was for W.

Firewall your P.C and i Don't know if your hooked up to a router? they do have there own Firewalls that prevents hackers from accessing your P.C, and Routers always assign the same IP address to a host based on its MAC address, the only thing is your gonna have to learn how to assign ports to specific programs to access the internet.

Edited by PatrickG

I wouldn't sweat it. I've received two of these notices myself over the past year. Guantanamo Bay might be considered an upgrade over the Shwa - especially tonight with all the snow that's coming... First off, it's not that it's legal to share, but it is not illegal to make or obtain a copy. Bla bla over whether torrent downloading is sharing or copying. Who cares. Secondly, whatever file that that notice identifies should be removed from the list of files you're sharing. They're not sending you the notice over your acquisition of it, rather they are telling you that you're not allowed to distribute it to others (..for money, which they can't prove but which is definitely illegal in Canada). Finally, cycle the material that you have available on your HD for sharing with others. This means that you still get good download speeds, while avoiding this kind of crap. I limit my uploads per session to 10 files. BTW the IP that they identify in the mail piece resides at the ISP, not on your computer, your router or your firewall.

p.-

Can't say I'd be giving out my IP address though!

Especially with the latest IE security breach!

Might wanna edit that out with some xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

it makes no difference at all if you post it online or not as anyone with the intent of attacking your computer can have your IP address in the blink of an eye.

hackers are always a step ahead...