ice fishing

Hawg Hunter

curious -- if you were goign to direct a beginner (at ice fishing, not fishing overall) what species would you send him/her after? What is the easiest to catch (other than perch)? I have lake trout and whitefish in my lake but zero experience going after them (deep in the summer). Usually fish for pike/walleye/bass/musky.......

Dang... thought I was going nuts as I already posted to this thread Hawg.. then realized for some reason your started another one...

Lakers.... nothing like 19 lbs pulling out 10 lb line to warm you up when it's -25C !

Wayne had to same reaction as yours :lol:

Ditto. Maybe I'll run into you up there this winter.

LOL maybe! i was going to ask you were you usually hit, but i know its an unwritten law(up here anyways) that you dont say where we are in the park. LOL

Surprising enough, though i only bumped into 1 person from the Sault in all my time up there and that was on Gamitagama. If we do see each other make sure the coffee pot is on!

curious -- if you were goign to direct a beginner (at ice fishing, not fishing overall) what species would you send him/her after? What is the easiest to catch (other than perch)? I have lake trout and whitefish in my lake but zero experience going after them (deep in the summer). Usually fish for pike/walleye/bass/musky.......

I would have to say that Lakers would be your best bet...they're aggressive almost all winter long, and have no problem moving through all depths under the ice. Find 60 feet of water, preferably close to a point/drop-off. Drop a tip-up with 2 minnows on it -- one minnow within 2 feet of bottom, and the other no deeper than 15 feet. At your other hole, drop a silver spoon -- Little Cleo, kastmaster, arrowhead, sidewinder, wabler, WHATEVER. Jig it, with lots of pauses. Work your way up, jigging at different depths. If nothing hits it, drop a white tube jig, and do the same thing.

If by now, you've caught nothing at either hole, move over a few hundred yards, and repeat :)

Heck, let's make this REAL easy...just tell me when to meet you at your place, and I'll show you what I mean :whistling:

I would have to say that Lakers would be your best bet...they're aggressive almost all winter long, and have no problem moving through all depths under the ice. Find 60 feet of water, preferably close to a point/drop-off. Drop a tip-up with 2 minnows on it -- one minnow within 2 feet of bottom, and the other no deeper than 15 feet. At your other hole, drop a silver spoon -- Little Cleo, kastmaster, arrowhead, sidewinder, wabler, WHATEVER. Jig it, with lots of pauses. Work your way up, jigging at different depths. If nothing hits it, drop a white tube jig, and do the same thing.

If by now, you've caught nothing at either hole, move over a few hundred yards, and repeat :)

Heck, let's make this REAL easy...just tell me when to meet you at your place, and I'll show you what I mean :whistling:

Thank you!! Very helpful. 60 feet iwth a drop-off to deeper water or shallower....or is the point just to get vertical structure for them to associate wtih?

If you're serious about coming up -- lets stay in touch over the winter