aurora trout!

pike slayer

hey guys! ive been doing some reading up on the aurora trout and how rare it is, and that its only in 12 lakes 2 of which are the only known natural lakes for them. i found lists of the names of the lakes but im not sure where they are. does anyone have a map of ontario marking these lakes? i wanna fish for them and catch my one just to say i did it and probably never go for them again leaving them along until they get a decent popualtion(i hope). i wanna plan a trip for next year! let me know! thanks guys!

Was open this year for the first time in ages in Zone 11... Lake just North West of Villiage of Temagami. Accessed by Red Squirrel Rd. Liberty Lake Was only open from Aug1 to Oct 15th. This lake is a sanctuary for the remainder of 2008 and ALL year in 2009. I don't see any other lake listed for fishing in 2009

Same deal in your Zone 10... I see two lakes that were open in 2008 and are closed in 2009

Edited by irishfield

Since the lakes with aurora's are often entirely closed for fishing if you really intend on making a trip you're best bet is probably to try to talk to someone from the MNR and ask them about open seasons. They will be able to provide you with the best info.

ya i seen the regulations on it and the picture of the guy with the short shorts gives me the shivers! that short of shorts should be banned and big fines for wearing something like that! as i said its shows the names of the lakes but doesnt show the location! i could look them up in my backroad map book but alot of the time theres 3-4 lakes named the same and it would really suck going to the wrong lake haha!

Was open this year for the first time in ages in Zone 11... Lake just North West of Villiage of Temagami. Accessed by Red Squirrel Rd. Liberty Lake Was only open from Aug1 to Oct 15th. This lake is a sanctuary for the remainder of 2008 and ALL year in 2009. I don't see any other lake listed for fishing in 2009

Same deal in your Zone 10... I see two lakes that were open in 2008 and are closed in 2009

Hey Wayne,

I remember Whirligig and little White Pine having a season, but that was years back..

I've actually milked some of the brood stock at Hill's Lake Fish Culture Station, when I was a wee lad in COOP..

I thought they limed these lakes, bringing the acidity down within acceptable levels to allow the spawn succesfully..

Does this still go on?!

They're such gems.. One day sir. One fine day...

HD

Sorry Pike Slayer... I gave you directions to one lake and it will be open again in 2011.

HD... sounds like the original lakes are totally closed to fishing and probably will remain that way. There is actually a third natural lake and it's Wilderness. All three lakes are up in the park... beside Smoothwater Lake. The "open" lakes are all stocked with the 3 year rotation of openings... that they close last minute generally ! lol

HD... sounds like the original lakes are totally closed to fishing and probably will remain that way. There is actually a third natural lake and it's Wilderness. All three lakes are up in the park... beside Smoothwater Lake. The "open" lakes are all stocked with the 3 year rotation of openings... that they close last minute generally ! lol

Thanks bud. You da mang.

Are we sure there is even a pair of shorts on under that t-shirt?

I feel bad for the poor guys twig and berries.. LET THEM BREATH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't look like he's wearing any... Maybe the air is nippy?!!

He's not a happy camper though. Lookit him!! He's totally ticked off..

Strike a pose baby!! skimpy..

AHAHAH

HD

OMG Thank you. I didn't notice it the first time.

Probably the last dood to ever really catch a nice aurora.

Anyways, I planned a road trip to finish at Liberty Lake a few years back. MNR had it open for fishing that year in the regs. Found the place (pretty easy, huge parking spot that could fit 20 winnebagos), walked down to the lake and a sign on the second last tree said, "NO FISHING. SEASON CLOSED. (contact MNR in fine print)

I was beyond pist off. And you likely will be too if you plan on chasing after other peoples dreams of an aurora fishery ever really being an accountable thing.

Hi Everybody

I noticed you have been looking at my Aurora Trout page at my Brook Trout site. Even though Aurora Trout have been released in a bunch of the lakes, they did not survive in all of them. For example, Liberty Lake north of Temagami did not take. The released fish did not live. I am slowely getting feedback from MNR officers and local lodges on other lakes.

The very best lake for Aurora Trout is Carol Lake, which is north-west of Sudbury and also where the world record was caught. There are so many bears in that area and they are all starving to death so camping in the area is not a great idea. There is a small trout camp near by called Appolo Lake Lodge - http://www.appelolake.com - Rick, the owner, will take you on day trips to Carol Lake. He has to take you by 4x4 ATV up a small mountain to a lake. You have to canoe across the lake and then portage another 100 yards to get to Carol Lake. This is your very best chance at catching an Aurora Trout. Carol Lake is open August 1st / 2011 so you have time to plan.

Fishing for them - There are no motors allowed on Aurora Trout Lakes. You have to fish out of a canoe. I have written some light-tackle deep-water trout techniques at my Lake Trout site. I use this all summer long in Algonquin Park and catch hundreds of trout so you should consider these techniques if you are going to try and get an Aurora - http://www.laketrout.org/algonquin-trout-fishing-canoe.htm

The guy in the short shorts is actually one of the first people to ever catch an Aurora Trout. That picture is from the early 80's so don't hack on him too much or he will ask me to take his picture down and pictures of Aurora Trout are very very rare.

Thanks

Gary

I stayed at Appelo Lake Lodge a few years ago with a friend. We didn't attempt Aurora Trout but knew they were there. Rick was a good guy. Definitely 4x4 country. It's beside Felix, Ontario. Where the men are men... and the women are too!

Fair enough but even in the 80's I didn't wear shorts like that. Nice fish though!

Scary ... as it is ... I May ... and I mean just MAY ... have been seen in similar shorts in the late 70's early eighties... but that could just be the scotch talking :)