Products that changed fishing

kickingfrog

I would have put the Mitchel 300 Spinning reel at the top of the list...

It sure opened up a whole new world of fishing for me...

The 300 and 300A were the most durable and reliable reels ever made. I got a 300A for my 13th. birthday and only finally retired it 30 years later when the bail spring went. Easy to look after, just a little grease once a year. Everybody tried to copy it , and Shakespeare had one or two reels that came close in quality, but not as durable.

I would have put the Mitchel 300 Spinning reel at the top of the list...

It sure opened up a whole new world of fishing for me...

The 300 and 300A were the most durable and reliable reels ever made. I got a 300A for my 13th. birthday and only finally retired it 30 years later when the bail spring went. Easy to look after, just a little grease once a year. Everybody tried to copy it , and Shakespeare had one or two reels that came close in quality, but not as durable.

I've been fishing about 55 years so I've seen alot of new stuff come & go, but I think GPS units have had a big impact and the way we fish, specially on new lakes where we aren't familiar with the structure.

Kinda nice to be able to look at the screen and basically see the whole lake bottom while were cruising around and pick out the good looking areas, then just drive straight to the humps or drop-offs or whatever else were searching for.

Also saves alot of props & lower units too $$$$$$$$

How about the Beetle Spin. Before the Beetle spin, plastic baits, jigs and spinner baits were unheard of.

Then....maybe....the Daredevil spoon.

Most certainly the muddler minnow.

Edited by Dabluz

I have to agree with other comments on this list being a little weird. I'd like to know when this poll was taken and the kind of fishermen that make up the membership in their legacy program. The question sounds like it's asking for products with the most impact which to me means revolutionary impact. That list is mostly simple evolutionary changes in my opinion. For example, spring loading the bobber attachment doesn't really change anything about a bobber or how it's fished.

If that list was made this year, I would scratch 1/2 the items given and add downrigger/divers, graphite rods, gps, gel spun line, polarized lenses, circle hooks, and maybe vhf radio and cell phones if you're into big water or coastal fishing. I don't know who came up with some of these so i didn't name the specific products that first brought the things to market.

I find the list in the first message to be great except for the last 2 items....the graphite rod and the Ugly Stick. I just can't see where they revolutionized fishing all that much.

I've used steel rods, glass rods, fiberglass rods, graphite rods, boron rods and cane rods. They were all great for their time but they didn't change fishing.

I remember when I used braided nylon...you know that black line and I think I even used a silk line on a level wind reel and I remember my dad drying out his silk line in the house by looping the line over the door knobs. Mono was a big breakthrough and the new braided lines have not replaced mono.

I did not take the time to read thru this thread, so I do not know if lead head jig has been mentioned.

I think it revolutionized the presentation aspect of fishing.

No...the lead jig was not specifically signaled out except for me saying that the Beetle Spin should be on the list. This lure was a jig, had a plastic bait and a spinner.

No...the lead jig was not specifically signaled out except for me saying that the Beetle Spin should be on the list. This lure was a jig, had a plastic bait and a spinner.

Yeah, I know the Beetle Spin, I used to go to school with his younger brother. :P

They are great lures actually, combining the flash of the blade with the depth control of the weighted head, depending on how fast you retrieve it.

I'd say the flying hellgramite - the world's first mass produced artificial fishing lure - would be a big one.

Balsa floats, Mepps spinners, electric trolling motors, LCD sonar, GPS, underwater cameras..

sheesh.. fish don't stand a chance these days.