Cougar shot and killed in Saskatoon

holdfast

WOW, a Male Cougar that traveled over 1,000KMs is resting in buddies back yard in the city. He had a GPS collar that apparently malfunctioned somewhere in the Black hills South Dakota. The big controversy is that SERM and the Police ended up shooting the cat with three bullets as their first choice. Did they do the right thing. The polls here are about 50/50

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1008?hub=Canada

WOW, a Male Cougar that traveled over 1,000KMs is resting in buddies back yard in the city. He had a GPS collar that apparently malfunctioned somewhere in the Black hills South Dakota. The big controversy is that SERM and the Police ended up shooting the cat with three bullets as their first choice. Did they do the right thing. The polls here are about 50/50

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1008?hub=Canada

When was the last cougar attack on a person? Does it even happen??

When was the last cougar attack on a person? Does it even happen??

There was an attack on a woman last year in BC, not sure if she was killed. They are probably North Americas ultimate Predator. They Leap 20 feet for the the throat and can break an Elks neck with ease. What do you think it can do to a child?

Edited by holdfast

Interesting. Had no idea.

According to Canadian Geographic there have been 27 (documented) attacks in the last 100 yrs (in canada), and 7 deaths.

I have heard of lots of sightings in ontario, though not sure if ever confirmed by MNR (or whoever would confirm it)

Yes they did the right thing.

This cat obviously had no fear of people as it was "resting" in an urban area.

Had they not shot the cat and somebody was injured or killed these same officials would have to put up with the wrath of the citizens while also living with guilt of playing a part in allowing this animal the chance to harm someone.

Unfortunate for the cougar but I believe the 50% against the shooting would sing a different tune if someone got hurt.

nope, it was wrong of them to shoot the cougar. did it hurt anyone??? no, was it posing a threat, no. it was just there, they were here long before us, but just because we live here now, they have no rite anymore?? thats a load of crap. and yes would feel the same if the animal hurt or killed someone. its not fair to the cougar, they would have EASILY trapped or used a tranquilizer to subdue the cat and transport it to safer grounds. the animal doesnt know any better, we destroyed their home, and now we shoot them if they come back, for whatever reason it may be. if ur dog is "resting" in a neighbors yard, and they shoot it, is that ok?? i mean, u may own a rotti, or pitbull or boxer... and they look intimidating and could be a mean and violent dog, but no, u wouldn;t shoot it. why shoot the cougar?? not fair to the cat and completely wrong in my books.

Yes they did the right thing.

This cat obviously had no fear of people as it was "resting" in an urban area.

Had they not shot the cat and somebody was injured or killed these same officials would have to put up with the wrath of the citizens while also living with guilt of playing a part in allowing this animal the chance to harm someone.

Unfortunate for the cougar but I believe the 50% against the shooting would sing a different tune if someone got hurt.

EXACTLY, They only had seconds to minutes to respond. Lets look at the picture here, sure the Cat is Passive at the time. Why is he in the city, easy food,injury, lost, disorientated, nobody knows. If they had a Tranquilizer, it would take the Cat five minutes to go down, if they have the right dose. What?, hes going to stay there and Purr. A net? are you kidding me? Set up for a cannon and that thing is going to dodge it. Oh how about looping it like a pit bull, ya you approach it, if it doesnt move. In case anyone is interested, they think that most of the Day cares in the area were alerted. Oh yea they did right.

nope, it was wrong of them to shoot the cougar. did it hurt anyone??? no, was it posing a threat, no. it was just there, they were here long before us, but just because we live here now, they have no rite anymore?? thats a load of crap. and yes would feel the same if the animal hurt or killed someone. its not fair to the cougar, they would have EASILY trapped or used a tranquilizer to subdue the cat and transport it to safer grounds. the animal doesnt know any better, we destroyed their home, and now we shoot them if they come back, for whatever reason it may be. if ur dog is "resting" in a neighbors yard, and they shoot it, is that ok?? i mean, u may own a rotti, or pitbull or boxer... and they look intimidating and could be a mean and violent dog, but no, u wouldn;t shoot it. why shoot the cougar?? not fair to the cat and completely wrong in my books.

Just a sec, you are comparing a cougar, to a rotti or a pitbull?

I think it would have been a bit different if this cat wasn't a WILD ANIMAL, but unfortunately it was. I am sure the police tried other avenues before eventually shooting it. If you think they can just pull up and shoot without the proper authority, well..... they can't.

I'd like to see how you could easily trap a 200lb+ ticked off cat.

Good luck.

Because the cougar will kill your killer dogs. Drug it, maybe if you are Marlin Perkins on Wild Kingdom and they instantly put down the cat without killing it. Remember you got to hit a muscle, and have the right dose.

They done right. Wanna talk nuissance bears next? Next one that pops my 2 year old's pool may meet the cougar in animal heaven! It's happened three times this summer when they come by for a drink! Don't get me wrong but these animals can inflict lethal damage to young children and adults alike. I've had to rush my boy indoors twice this summer because of a bruin and wouldn't have been too upset if they had to kill him. He was trapped twice and still came back! There's a fine line as a proud sportsman but where and when your family becomes at risk you know where I stand! Again, they done right!

Debates like this come from people being uneducated on the subject, and even beyond that, there is still going to be controversy and a clash in beliefs. I have extensive training and education in animal handling, pathology and sedation/euthenasia. In a situation like this, I guarantee the first instinct of people is to kill it. The first instinct of professionals is to subdue and transport it, especially given the population status of the cougar. Fear comes from media. This cat was "resting" in an area, and given sufficient time, they could have subdued the animal and transported it either to a remote location or captive sanctuary. However, there is not always sufficient time, and on the spot decisions must be made. Although I personally would have preferred to preserve the life of such an increasingly rare species, thats not always the best choice, and I'm sure they made the right decision for the situation at hand

if your against killing a wild dangerous animal that is in close proximity to people then i assume your against the killing of any animal or fish for that matter, in the end it is just an animal with no more value than a cow which we kill by the millions every year. i choose people over the cougars or the bears.

While I don't agree with killing the cat, if it's the last option available then of course by all means humans before *

if your against killing a wild dangerous animal that is in close proximity to people then i assume your against the killing of any animal or fish for that matter, in the end it is just an animal with no more value than a cow which we kill by the millions every year. i choose people over the cougars or the bears.

There definitely is more value between an endangered, protected wild animal (With only approx. 4000 in canada) to a freakin cow, c'mon terrible comparison.

hmmm....I dont know about that one....did it really need to be shot because day care was a block away? What time was it, was it recess time for the day care or was it 7 at night when day care was closed? I think they could have monitered it until tranqs were brought in to have relocated. We are not allowed to shoot a bear in our yard unless it is causing harm or damage to property or life....different views for different animals????? Next time a bear sits down in my yard from being tired from eating crab apples, remind me to get the .300 mag out.