Cougar shot and killed in Saskatoon

holdfast

Interesting comments here....obviously if this animal had the imminent potential to cause harm to people of property it must dealt with. Conversely, some discretion must be employed as people to act as stewards for the animals we have displaced and strive to preserve.

Saskatoon is home to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine which employs some of the best wildlife vets in Canada if not the world. I personally know these indiviuals and have watched the safe tranquilization and handling of large mammals. Polar bears will be immobilized anywhere from 1-5minutes. If this was an animal at rest whose adrenaline was not up it could have been a fairly safe procedure.

Not knowing all the circumstances the officers found one must incline to trust their training to preserve public safety. Just adding that killing is not always the preferred option...

I think we should kill every animal.....the scary ones the fat ones the small and big ones the blu and purple ones, fuzzy and wet ones ....they have no rights....how dare they encroach on our property...we were here first!!! And just because we took away their habitat and food source,,,,,shame on them ,,,they should be able to adapt in a week or 2 after thousands of years of existence.

I say to everyone ...go buy a gun and shoot all the animals you can...the world will be much better for it....and get their heads mounted so you all can brag about exterminating animals for being stupid..

As of 2008 there are 44,000 species threatened on earth........think about it. <_<

I consider myself a conservationalist and a lover of all wildlife, that being said I have no problems with the cougar being killed. Mainly, due to the fact that any cat that would allow itself to be seen in an urban area has to have something wrong with it. Whatever, was wrong with it would make relocation improbable as it would probably just seek out another area with humans around to get easy food sources. As mentioned before a cougar like that near humans is just a recipe for disaster.

Cougars are definitely a top predator, but usually fearful of human contact (with darn good reason) so why was it just resting in a backyard? Too many people hear cougar and think "nice kitty" when the reality is those cats while being very majestic are just about the perfect killing machine. The average person has no concept of the power, speed, stealth and killing ability of these animals. The comparison of a rotti or pitbull was especially amusing. A healthy cougar looks at a rotti and probably thinks GREAT lunch is served.

Interesting. Had no idea.

According to Canadian Geographic there have been 27 (documented) attacks in the last 100 yrs (in canada), and 7 deaths.

I have heard of lots of sightings in ontario, though not sure if ever confirmed by MNR (or whoever would confirm it)

yes cougers have been confirmed in ontario by the ministry this year.

i am currently working with a teacher at sault collge who is trying to get some fur samples to test if these arethe acctual eastern cougers that once lived in ontario or if they are another strain that could have been pet escapes or releases.we are working with trail cameras aswell trying to get some good pictures but the bears sure dont want our cameras on the trees as they keep ripping them down lol

anyhoo i think that these animals need to come back. after all they were as much a part of our ecosystem as anything else was. cougers are a dangerous animal none the less but i still belive that they shouldnt have shot it.

p.s. i am not part of p3ta or anything stupid like that i just think that they have the right to come back as much as any other species

Edited by pikeie