replacing steering helm

lew

I'm starting to get some play in the steering column on my '99 Crestliner and can move the steering wheel up, down & sideways about 1/2" now. I can lay under the console and when I move the steering wheel up and down I can see it moving where it enters the helm and even where it comes out the back slightly and has a cap on it.

I pulled the wheel & bezel thinking I could possibly tighten the bolts but the problem appears to be inside the helm itself and I was told by a marine mechanic that the bushings in the helm are shot and I need to have the entire helm replaced, but that's understandable seeing as the boat is 9 years old with plenty of good miles on her.

The mechanic claims it's a huge job and will do it for $300 plus $85 for the helm plus taxes.

I dunno, but to me it doesn't appear to be that big of a job and I could do it myself but perhaps I'm missing something here. :dunno:

The OEM helm is a Safe-T Steer and I've been told to pull the cotter pin and turn the wheel full over to release the steering cable, then undo the bolts holding the unit and pull it out, then install the new unit, slide the cable back in and replace the cotter pin and I'm good to go.

I called Crestliner and they'll deliver the proper helm to me, all in, for about $100.

Is it as simple as it sounds or do I need to give the mechanic $300

This is basically what I'm replacing.

Any thoughts ??

untitled-1.jpg

Well, no horror stories from anyone so I guess I'll just go ahead and do the job myself.

Ernie & Rob, thanks to both of you for the offer of tools but I've got that covered myself but it was certainly appreciated......more than generous of the pair of you !!

My boat will be spending the winter in a nice dry barn and I'll be doing the work in there sometime early next spring.

I suspect the toughest part of the job will be installing the steering cable - this might be the biggest part of the $300 quote. Your cable might be fine and useable with the new helm.

-Brian

Brian, the mechanic say the whole problem is with the helm itself and replacing that alone will fix everything up like new again.

I replaced exactly what you are doing a few years ago. It not that hard and I am sure you will handle it without any problems. My only problem was to remove/replace the rod end at the motor I had to unbolt the outboard and move it over a few inches for clearance and then put the motor back into it's original position (centered). When you do this make sure you re-caulk the bolts going through the transom to seal out water.

One other helpful hint............. I see you are going to store your boat in a barn. Get yourself some moth balls and but them in small bags with holes cut into them. Now but four or five of these small bags in the boat compartments AND one under the outboard cowling to keep mice out. Mice can do hundreds of dollars of damage chewing wiring etc.....................

Bob

Brian, the mechanic say the whole problem is with the helm itself and replacing that alone will fix everything up like new again.

Hmmm, I just don't see 3-4 hours labour for installing the helm. I've never done a rotory style (just rack/pinion)... there must be something I'm missing or he's charging $200/hr!

Sure it takes 3-4 hours, 1 hour to do the job and 2-3 to go out to Timmies and then go for lunch after.

Lew, go for it, you should be able to to it yourself, a thermos of coffee (a little something to go in it if you get frustrated) and your toolbox is all it's going to take.

Lew, It is a stright fwd job. I 've done 25 or so in the last couple years. I sell those parts. My price is $86. The hardest part is getting the steering wheel off the helm (first step). If you do it yourself, I'll step you trought it.

CX