Do NOT call list

Wild

Canada's do not call list signup

Finally coming to a phone near you! But will it work? You can sign up beginning Sept 30 to restrain those unwanted telephone calls while in the shower, just around dinner time or while you are trying to land that monster muskie!

Also you can sign up to this service which is legitimate and works.

IOptOut.ca

Edited by Wild

Unfortunately, for me and probably most of you, this list will not be of much use because of the exemption below.

-companies with whom consumers have an existing commercial relationship; for example, if a consumer has done business with a company in the previous 18 months––such as a carpet-cleaning company––that consumer can be called.

Almost all of my junk calls come from Rogers, Fido, banks and other people that i deal with. Rogers is particularly bad all year trying to sell me packages and services I don't want, the banks call me non-stop starting a month or so before the RSP deadline.

We've hadf that in the states for a few years or so now, so far, for me anyway, it seems to be working. Now if the politicians would be included in this ... much better.

I hear ya J ace, we get frequest calls from the banks and credit card companies to take out loans, pay off other accounts, etc. PIA it is at times.

-companies with whom consumers have an existing commercial relationship; for example, if a consumer has done business with a company in the previous 18 months––such as a carpet-cleaning company––that consumer can be called.

Almost all of my junk calls come from Rogers, Fido, banks and other people that i deal with. Rogers is particularly bad all year trying to sell me packages and services I don't want, the banks call me non-stop starting a month or so before the RSP deadline.

Something to try for the existing commercial relationships....Sample phone call..

Hello, Mr or Mrs X.

I am sorry, he/she is unavailable, may I take a message?

No, this is just a courtesy call, we'll call again (or some version of this)

I am Mr/Mrs X's personal assistant, unless you talk to me, you are not going to talk to Mr/Mrs X. Please leave a message or do not call again"

They rarely leave a message..if they do, I usually respond with something like.....Thank you, I will give Mr/Mrs this information and if they are interested, they will call you. They usually don't though. This has stopped quite a few calls and for the ones that have not listened, I phoned the company and inform them that I feel their sales staff is harassing me and should it continue, I may need to look elsewhere for the service they provide.....haven't had a phone call from Rogers, Bell, or the banks in ages

Another standard response one might get when calling my house..

I am sorry but due to the high incidence of identity theft, we do not conduct business over the phone unless we initiate the phone call. Hard for them to argue with that one.

Works well on the door to door people also :rolleyes:

Your welcome guys. I own an organic lawn & tree care company and the industry has always relied heavily on telemarketing however I established a firm NO telemarketing policy years ago for the simple reason that I do not like to be bothered and harassed with telemarketers just as much as everyone else! And my customers appreciate the policy very much.

While certain companies and charitable organizations may have limited exemptions you still can request that they no longer call you and remove your number from their list but you must inform them so. If they fail to comply then file a complaint.

I had a link to another site which offers a do not call registry for certain companies etc but misplaced it at the moment.

Unfortunately, for me and probably most of you........

What is truly unfortunate is that telemarketing is one of the few industries that are still thriving in Canada (yes I know that half of them are not coming from Canada).

People have to work somewhere.

To quote the Boss:

“They’re closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks

Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they aint coming back to

Your hometown, your hometown, your hometown, your hometown”

I hope that they don’t tear out all of the phone lines and tear down all of the vacant factories, because when our transformation to third world country is complete they will be needed again.

I don`t know if yours will work like the stateside version, if they call and you tell them do not call again, even if you have done business with them in the past they have to stop.

If I have a problem with one I e-mail my Senators and congressmen. Give them the number and let them figure out if the people don`t understand.

I have also posted the numbers with an opinion in the opinion section of the local papers and hammered the politicians for exemptions, ours exempt themselves. To me do not call means that.

I get very few calls from people I don`t want calling, but then as a former truck driver I know the language to use.

I added the other link to IOptOut.ca which is a private site which has worked for me. Most likely the government site will be backlogged.

Telemarketing companies still have one month to adjust to the new regulation so do not expect instant results.

What is truly unfortunate is that telemarketing is one of the few industries that are still thriving in Canada (yes I know that half of them are not coming from Canada).

People have to work somewhere.

To quote the Boss:

“They’re closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks

Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they aint coming back to

Your hometown, your hometown, your hometown, your hometown”

I hope that they don’t tear out all of the phone lines and tear down all of the vacant factories, because when our transformation to third world country is complete they will be needed again.

Ill tell ya my heart really bleeds for Telemarketers especially when I cant understand them, Im Busy, or in a bad mood. They have no Buisness phoning me when I never gave them my number.

Ill tell ya my heart really bleeds for Telemarketers especially when I cant understand them, Im Busy, or in a bad mood. They have no Buisness phoning me when I never gave them my number.

The real problem should be blamed on Bell Canada, they sell your number to the telemarketers at a huge profit.