Shore Salmon Report

Bly

With the cooler temps at night and the rain we've had in the past 24 hours, Cliff and I decided to hit a pier again to throw some cleos for Salmon. We arrived shortly after 8pm....the last light of the day was fading into night. I started at one end of the pier and Cliff headed to the the opposite end. I cast my cleo and began the retrieve....I felt a hit...then nothing....then a minute later it hit again, this time it was hooked well!!! I call out to Cliff because he's walking away with the net in his hands....LOL. He hadn't even put his line in the water yet. Anyhow, he arrived with the net and I brought in my first salmon of the year.

It was a nice sized one, measuring in at 39.5 inches and weighing just a tad shy of 24.5 pounds!! A nice crowd of about 10 people had gathered around. Some light profanities from the teenagers, a bunch of "wows", and a few "I've never seen a fish that big" came from them.....LOL.

In retrospect, because I caught a fish on the FIRST cast of the night, I should have known we'd be doomed from that point on!!! Anyone else have that happen to them??? We only spent about an hour and half out there. We could see them jumping around, but couldn't entice another one to take the bait.

carole395.jpg

hey nice fish Bly,wow,you been into some big ones lately :clapping::worthy: .

As for your kind of jinx yourself after that theory...I always think that too..has happened to me lots of times,musky fishin,pike fishin,trout fishin,walleye fishin....nail a fish before anyone even get's thier lines in the water...turns out to be somehting huge, then no-one else catches anything the rest of the trip :dunno: , go figure

Once again, I don't know how they do it, but bring the girls fishin and they almost always outfish the boys :glare:

Edited by jwl

i know exactly how that is, this past May for the pike/walleye opener on West Lake i caught a decent pike on my first cast, then an OOS bass on my next cast, then nothing for the rest of the night!

congrats on the salmon. i'll be out somewhere casting Cleos for them tomorrow night! wish me luck!

Two nights in a row off Bronte this week somebody's come down and nailed a 'nook on their first cast.

No it wasn't me, and nope, no other fish were landed after them.

Got to the point where I was thinking about packing up, then coming back down and making one cast..........then packing up, and come back for one cast.........

Thanks! The first cast fish always gets me, think it is going to be a banner outing and then nadda. Catching one is always better than none no matter how many casts or the size of the fish.

Well, if you're gonna get a fish like that on the first cast and get no more for the rest of the night, I'd say that's a helluva cast :thumbsup_anim:

I'll bet you still left with a smile on your face ;):D

Joey

Definitely!

hey nice fish Bly,wow,you been into some big ones lately :clapping::worthy: .

Thanks, I am sure Cliff will turn the tables soon enough, he totally smoked me last season :lol:

i'll be out somewhere casting Cleos for them tomorrow night! wish me luck!

Go get em! Look forward to the report!

Got to the point where I was thinking about packing up, then coming back down and making one cast..........then packing up, and come back for one cast.........

:thumbsup_anim: If you ever try it, I would love to hear how it worked, the same thought has crossed my mind :lol:

In the end we're all smiling.

THE most important part of any outing!!

Great catch Bly.. nice beefy Chinook.. So far this salmon season it seems that the majority of the Salmon being landed are in the 9-11:30pm range.. I've pretty much been fishing the early morning hours and have been skunked for all my time out there.. It seems as soon as I get to the spot, the last fish was just caught, and nothing else comes up..

It's great to see reports though, it's keeping me motivated to continue to spend money on expensive gasoline to drive out to these far away salmon spots..

reef, you tie into one down on the Credit?

That I did BillM. Was a spur of the moment call after the rain stopped when I got home from work. Check out my report, understandably,dont want to highjack this amazing catch by Bly. A pretty Chinook there. Im still good for a hook up when you want.