A discouraging day

motv8tr

Well, I went to Bean's place this morning to finish installing the fish finder and put the boat in the water....finally. Arrived a little after 8, said my heloo's, had a cup of coffee and right to work. Installed the fish finder on the dash, installed the speed and temp. sensors (not sure the speed one is in the right place but that's the least of my worries) ran all the wires in the boat. The leads for the batter were too small for my battery and the wire too short to run from the batter to the connector. Beans pulled out his little battery to put in the boat until I can get one of my own. He found two brass bolts with nuts and I put them through the leads, secured them and everything worked :thumbsup_anim:

gallery_46_17_46875.jpg

gallery_46_17_15405.jpg

We tidied everything up, Beans hooked up his trailer to his car and off we were to pull out the Tin of Beans and put in the SS MOTV8TR

Thanks to DEG's tutalage at Lakair I had no trouble backing the trailer down the ramp...A BIG THANKS Don :clapping:

Beans getting ready

gallery_46_17_18007.jpg

Checking out the fish finder

gallery_46_17_59128.jpg

Ok, so now the boats in the water, it's time for Beans to learn how to start it, two tries, second with the choke, and she fires right up, she stalled out but we were able to start it up again and this time we let it warm up for a minute, turn down the idle and all is well. I untie the boat, tell Beans to back her up, and as he puts it into gear she stalls again :( . We tried a few times to start it up again to no avail. Paddle back to the dock, let it sit a few minutes thinking it's flooded. She wouldn't start again. As we couldn't tie up the dock incase someone showed up, we paddled over to Bean's dock, took the cover off the motor, and tried starting again..all this time it looked like gas was leaking into the water....nope, not gas. We figured it was the spark plugs so I covered up the boat and into town we went and picked up 4 new ones (two spares) came back, got them changed and she fired up right away :thumbsup_anim: stalled out again though :wallbash: Lifted the motor up as this time we new something was in fact leaking into the water....arrrrgghhhh....oil from the lower end :wallbash:

I quckley lowered the motor back down and it stopped leaking.....only thing to do was paddle back to the dock, go back to the house get the trailer, pull the boat back out :( , back to the house, for some reason I unhooked the trailer :dunno: Went in the house looked up Big Cliffs work number called him, explained the situation and asked if he had some time to look at it...of course he said yes, so back outside, hook the trailer back out get ready to leave and discover the trailer lights aren't working :w00t:

Checked the connection, the bulbls, found one that had water inside the seat, dried that off, still no lights...I was about to give up and call it a day prepared to tackle it again next week when Beans decided to take a look at the connection and discovered the ground wire had come loose...a quick fix and I'm off to Big Cliff's. I arrived before he did, dropped the boat off, spoke to Sue briefly and headed for home.

My hope now is that it is not a major or expensive fix as both Beans and I are without a boat in the water at the moment

gallery_46_17_11753.jpg

Hope y'all had a better day.

Maureen

The oily residue is not from your lower end but from unburnt premix 2 stroke oil. I have been down this road before and there is nothing wrong with anything other than premix does not do well under all conditions especially starting and idling.We use to call it an Italian tune up where by you would floor the accellerator from idle to run it wide open till it ran good to clear out the oil.I can still remember my dad saying start it up and flog it until the smoke clears. The newer oils don't smoke as mutch but for the most part premix is over oiled for most conditions.Mine is oil injected but I know back in 2004 I KILLED every bug in a 2k radius of Emily park because I had the kill switch off while I was trying to start mine-turn on the dang thing -started right- cough cough -up.

So the key thing is to learn HOW to start your OB,they are all different and when you do you will love it.

vance

Had a very quick look at it last night, the oil does look burnt and could easly be excess premix oil. I will have a closer look at it today and see what I can see. Did it smoke quite a bit when you did get it started Moe?

Don't venture too far with that old motor, yer asking for trouble. That's the main reason people put them up for sale.

Sometimes, but I think most upgrade.

When I'm unsure of a motor, I will travel upstream or against the prevailing wind to my fishin' spot. If something happens, I can drift back to the launch... if the wind doesn't change direction. A good strong battery and trolling motor will also help in these situations.

Cleaned the fuel filter, pulled and checked the plugs, lots of oil, actually probably way too much. Checked both the coils seem to be fine. Picked up some SeaFoam today, tomorrow I'll start with a fresh tank of properly mixed gas and some SeaFoam and see where that leads us. From what I have seen so far it looks like you might have just ended up with way too much oil in your gas and too rich a mixture on your carb. All easy fixes!

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, not sure about the oil mix, thought it was 50:1...according to the bottle anyway...I dunno, I do know it wasn't 50:50 :P Trying to remember, I think it was 12 litres of gas and 250ml of oil that was put in it, or there abouts but I honestly can't remember :( ...planning on getting a jerry can to mix it in...easier math that way :P

I do have a question though, should the oil mix have come out of that seam or does that also indicate a problem with the gasket?

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

Don't worry Moe, half the fun with boats is all the fun playing around. The seafoam should help you out, I had an old 1954 engine at one time for my tinny. Took me forever to understand how much oil mixture it needed. User groups said it depended on the personality :) of the engine.. mine justed needed a little leaner.

Well, mission accomplished!

Fresh fuel and oil, Seafoam, tweeked the carb (it was set way too rich), adjusted the idle speed, it was set way too low, then took it for a test run, darn thing runs better than my motor does (mind you, I haven't tuned mine up in about two years, too busy fixing everyone elses stuff LOL). You've got yourself a really nice package there Moe, the waves are just bordering on white caps here and this thing handled it beautifuly, rode nice and smooth and got up on plane very nicely, engine just purred!

Anyway Moe, she is here for you to pick up anytime you want, I have parked it down behind the garage so it is nice and safe and it is out of the way so leave it as long as you would like.

Cliff

Edited by Big Cliff

Good job Cliff ... and YES Mo ... I love those Johnsons ... matter of Fact I bought one from Cliff a couple years ago .. still purrs like a kitten - BUT ... with the fancy new oil they have I normally err slightly on the less oil side ... closer to 75:1 or even 100:1 ... I find there is less smoke and she starts more easily in the dew ... especially when I am spending MOST of my time just above idle trolling...