What was your 1st Car?

danbo

My first car was a 1969 VW Beetle I got in 1976. My Uncle GAVE it to me when I paid him for the newer battery and muffler! I think i gave him $50.

The brakes were totally shot, the body was like Swiss cheese, had no heat, and I couldn't drive standard at the time. I loved doing body work, so I spent the summer patching her up and had it professionally painted..bright orange!

I replaced the carpet after I replaced the floor boards! LOL This kept the majority of the water on the outside of the car.

The heater was a gasoline fired burner and worked well, but had very little control.

I loved that car and it took me everywhere!

Eventually, I passed it on to my girlfriend (now wife of 28 years!) and it went for a few more years.

ahh...memories! Wish I had some photo's...well at least digital ones.

My first car was a '72 Chevy Vega (similar to the photo). This car was GM's answer to the oil crisis at the time but was built with a "throw away" 4 cylinder engine. When it was time for my THIRD engine (first replacement paid for by GM) I secured an all aluminum Oldsmobile 215 cubic inch V8. My shop teacher would not let me use the school's facility to effect the transplant so car and motor was sold.

This car FOREVER soured me on ANYTHING remotely tied to GM.

The only good thing about this car was the completely flat area under the hatch when the back seat was folded down. Great for camp outs or impromptu lounging facilities :o Ironically my next car was also a hatchback that had a flat rear area ('69 Mustang Mach I - that didn't need an engine transplant!)

Have not driven domestic since these two early encounters with N.A. built "stuff"

72Vega.jpg

A 1976 Honda Civic hatchback.

Roof racks on top for the canoe, and easy storage for the fishing rods and gear in the back. I think I went places in that car that I probably wouldn't take my 4x4 into, :lol:

1971 Saab 96, ford V4 1.5L engine, 4 speed column gear shift, they even had a free wheel coaster to disengage the gearbox when on the highway, almost like an early cruise,to save gas,!!! had two the other was a 1970 then progressed to an Alfa sud 1500TI now that was a snot rocket 140mph boxer 4cylinder with 170hp at the wheels hahahaha

SAAB96NEW.jpg

cheers

ian

My very first car was a '61 Austin Healy Sprite, the bugeye. Here's a pic of one. My first one was white, the second one black.

Austin_Healey_Sprite.jpg

My second car was a '66 MGB. Here's a pic of the identical car, BRG, wires and all. I still have the knockoff hammer but that's all that remains of it.

66MGB.jpg

Then I got married and we got practical. There followed a long boring succession of VW's Then the company cars took over my life, but I snuck in one Corvair convertible, an early model, can't even remember the year now.

JF

Check out Honda America's Website, and choose the historical timeline.

It says 1972 - Honda Civic debuts....

http://corporate.honda.com/america/timeline.aspx

hmmm

my dad got his Honda Civic 5 Speed in '78, he was told it was first year in Canada, maybe only for the 5Speed model, comprable to the Si today...

cool cars none the less, they must be half the size of todays Civic Hatchbacks!

hmmm

my dad got his Honda Civic 5 Speed in '78, he was told it was first year in Canada, maybe only for the 5Speed model, comprable to the Si today...

cool cars none the less, they must be half the size of todays Civic Hatchbacks!

You got me thinking about the US/Canada thing...so a quick visit to Honda Canada's website also has a history...

http://www.honda.ca/HondaCorp/en/about4_4....p;subNavIndex=4

It says Honda Civic introduced in Canada in 1973.

My 1st car was a 1961 Corvair that I bought when I got outta the Navy. Fun little car to drive and handled really well with the air cooled engine in the rear.

1961_Chevrolet_Corvair_Monza.jpg

But my FAVORITE car out of all the ones I've ever owned and the one I wish I still had today was a 1965 Pontiac Parisienne convertible.

It was identicle to this one, cept mine was turquoise instead of red but still had the white convertible top and interior.

This thing was as big as a bus but just floated down the hiway and handled like a dream.

Put down the top, crank up the tunes and me & the Mrs would cruise the hiways for hours :thumbsup_anim:

I've still got the Mrs. after 42 years, but I got rid of the convertible 35 years ago and am still kicking myself for ever letting it go. It was still in mint condition when I traded it in.

65_bonne_davis.jpg

Edited by lew

1981 Toyota Turdcell - repainted it painfully bright blue, with fluorescent pink accessories. Couldn't afford collision when I was 16, so I figured I may as well be visible. :D Cost $400, but the powertrain was really reliable. The body...wasn't. Oh well - every girl needs to learn how to Bondo sometime, right? :lol:

I never thought that car was worth wasting film on, but here's one on Wikipedia.

I inherited a 1968 Fiat 124 like this from my sister after she killed the clutch.I also had a Gremlin for a couple of years while I was in the NAVY.Very fun little car for sure.I gave it to my brother in law to learn to drive on and he passed it on to his younger brother.Just couldn't kill that Gremlin.

800px_Fiat_124_Sedan.jpeg

Couldn't find the one I wanted so I got a 68 Torino body at the wreckers and put a blueprinted 390 in it and drove it for a few months.

Found the one I wanted 69 ford Cobra, put the 390 in it till I could find and build up a 428. It needs an interior now but with the new chirp your tires and we take your car law I'm in no hurry to put it back on the road.

I'm a youngun and still drive my purple '94 civic si which my friends nicknamed "Barney". No pic, you can still see them on the road.

That car is a tank, its gone everywhere...

Barney the Beast is more appropriate