side console or tiller???

sconceptor

Hey, I've got new boats on my mind and am keeping my eye out for my next sweet ride. I've only driving and fished out of tillers, and have basically no experience with a side console. The only side consoles I've been on are 20some odd foot Lake Huron fishing boats, designed for down rigging.

I'm in the believe that a tiller is the best bet for an all round boat. Precision trolling is the main advantange. Also, there's more room in the boat without a console and chair in the way.

Can people give me reasons why they prefer one or the other?

Does anybody know of marines that allow you to test drive a side console to see how it feels on the water?

I like the Lund Rebels and Lunds of that nature. Mostly I find side consoles, but have hopes in a early 2000 model or 99 model tiller with a 40hp 4 stroke for 8-10grand. Lund or a Princecraft DLX series 16foot model.........those are my choices.....no Grumman again, no Sylvan, no Microcraft, no Legend, etc.......

Thanks,

Scott

Now you you've just opened a can of worms.

Yes me its Tiller for life .My last 3 boats have all been tillers.

Now if I was to go over 90HP then I must admit I would go for a full wrap widsheild and that is not about to happen anytime soon.

IMG_0867JPGoldboat.jpg

This is my first boat had a wheel trolled with the sterring wheel and did not like it.

IMG_1063_1.jpg

This is my current boat notice how the tiller has more floor space.

12103IMG_0395_1_1.JPG

Had this boat 4 years the motor is on my new boat.

12103IMG_1215_1_1.JPG

Had this one 5 years and it is the vessel that turned me on to tillers.

Now don't be influenced by this OFC member from down south who spends most of his time still fishin where how your boat is steered should not matter.

He was kidnapped by the Sabiki Aliens and brainwashed to drive his boat like a car :whistling:

Stay with a tiller boat control is done with an instant response when trolling.

MTP

Mike the pike, I've seen your new Lund tiller and it's super sweet......if I won a lottery it'd be one of the boats I'd buy.......what'd you pay for that.......

I ask around and a new boat with the set up I'd like is about 17grand.....something that I can't really afford unless I like debt or eat KD for the next 10years.

I should be able to find a 99 or 00 for under 10grand......my buddy just bought a 98 Lund Explorer tiller with a 98 40hp 4 stroke Honda for 7500$ .......I'd probably pay that no problem and be happy with it for 5-8years.....then get a few grand for it and upgrade again....

I too am looking at boats. I am concentrating on side consol. Main reason is to be able to see a bit more and be in a straiter position for runnin' and gunnin'. I'm getting 45 mph right now and prefer the console. during the colder months it's nice to block the wind.

Like you I am looking at the Lund Rebel or Explorer. I will also be putting on a small kicker for trolling because my 75 is just too much for trolling.

I know there is a 2005 1600 Explorer (new)here in the area going for $8400 boat only set up as tiller, but the guy also has a console to add if prefered.

i've always preferred tiller myself.

something about tiller screams SERIOUS FISHING. i dont know why. hahah thats how i feel.

personally, its less parts to break or malfunction aswell. turning can be more responsive aswell.

besides, whats more bad ass then a 90 hp 4 stroke tiller?

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for as far as you personal boat usage goes. If it's primarily fishing, a tiller may be just what you are looking for and does offer a bit more room in the boat. Our boat was a "family type purchase" :whistling::lol: . It's laid out well for passenger space and fishing space for the size of the boat (I think some consoles are in a weird spot in the boat and hinder room and getting around in the boat)

Although I am a fishing nut and quite content sitting in my smaller tinny fishing all day long,the bigger boat is better all around for family fun and comfy for the whole day to go on boat rides with the family,pulling a tube behind, and gotta admit for an all day fishing adventure it's a very comfy boat to sit in for the day and alot better for putting a few miles on in the quest.As for the protection of a windshield, mine isn't very practical for that, it's more for just a sporty type look, only way it's gonna really protect ya from anything is by crouching your head down about steering wheel level :lol: . I have to admit though, bombing down the Lower Niagara on the quest for big steelies in the middle of January with ice pellets bouncing off your forehead it does help a little :P

When I upgrade down the road it will also be to a console model boat, but that's my prefference for what i want all around in a boat. I would just really think about what your all around boat usage would be . :Gonefishing:

A properly set up side console is much more versatile than a tiller.

With a 40-60 hp outboard side console and a foot control electric trolling motor you can do everything a tiller can and more.

A side console has the benefits of jigging and RIGGING downriggers with Great Lakes planer boards at a much more easy and convenience. The windshield is the icing on the cake in cold, rain or buggy days.

However, tillers are less expensive but who wants to skimp on fishing toys :)

ive owned my tiller for over 10yrs its fast and responsive and its a blast to drive when its calm.but when i get a new rig im definatley cosidering a console and steering wheel sick of getting soaked especially when its cold.