side console or tiller???

sconceptor

Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a windshield for a tiller boat. Maybe something along the lines of a snowmobile windshield that can be quickly added in front of the fisherman at the tiller. When not in use, it could be stored in a compartement under the front of the boat, or just moved to the bow of the boat.

18' or bigger boats, I prefer a full windshield, anything smaller and the full windshield takes up too much room so a side console for anything smaller then 18', but either must have a kicker with a tiller handle,

run with the main and troll with the kicker.

wishful thinking off course.

Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a windshield for a tiller boat. Maybe something along the lines of a snowmobile windshield that can be quickly added in front of the fisherman at the tiller. When not in use, it could be stored in a compartement under the front of the boat, or just moved to the bow of the boat.

they already have them

168394435357499136966848990857022855985.jpg

I have a console. And I prefer that. The reasons are as follows.

I have a windshield. Self explanatory.

If need be, I have a full stand up cover that attaches to that windshield. I can fish in the rain and stay dry.

I most often fish shallow rocky areas. Seeing what's in front of my boat is important. I can't do that from the back of the boat, unless I stand up.

Speaking of standing up, it's often necessary when fishing. Like when you hook a fish. If you're in shallow water, or water in current, it's often necessary to control the boat while fighting the fish. Tiller, bend over and try to find the handle without looking, which is somewhere around your knees, and within a 45 degree angle. But it's down there somewhere. Console? The steering wheel is at your hips, and easy to locate and grab. If fact I often do minor steering with my hip alone in such situations.

Boat ballast. Easy to do when I'm sitting in the middle of my boat. There's no piling weight in the front of the boat when fishing alone just so I can get up on plane.

Gauges. I'm sure that could install your own with a tiller, but mine are all right in front of me on my console. Just like in a vehicle.

Access. To both the front and back of the boat is right in front, or right behind you. If you're like me, you always need something that is not right next to you.

Water skiing. Forget it with a tiller. Unless you have a huge motor and plenty of people in the front of the boat to get the skier up. Then they'll have to move to mid boat.

That's enough for now. I can't think of one advantage for owning a tiller for me. Walleye enthusiasts talk about the critical control when back trolling with a tiller. Yet I've never known an average Joe Walleye fisherman to catch significantly more Walleye with a tiller than with a console.

That's my opinion.

Interesting thread...I just picked up a 14' Aluminum project boat. Older, cruiser style with full windshield and two bench seats, and older 30 hp 'Rude.

Plan on gutting it out and cutting back the front bow covering, install casting deck, etc...basically put some of the features of modern fishing boats into it. Since it has the steering wheel, was planning on going with a side console (will have to figure out how to route the cabling all one one side somehow...but cross that bridge later :)...the rear was gonna be place for gas can and maybe livewell too.

Being a smaller boat...this thread has me thinking about the tiller option now (lots of work before I am really ready to tackle the console part, but just thinking ahead), for it would give more room.

My boat will be 75% fishing and 25% family stuff (tubing, swimming off it etc)

Good reasons for both ways.... B)

If I had a choice and the money to buy a larger boat, I would most definately get a boat with a console and if I want to fish for walleye, I would use the electric bowmount for any of my bottom bouncing style fishing. Using a tiller for bottom bouncing means that you either have to back troll or use a very small motor and both methods take a lot more boat handling than really necessary. Having a tiller boat that can go faster than 30 mph is something I don't want unless it's absolutely necessary. I may be missing something here but having a large powerful and fast tiller boat seems kind of stupid to me. I see no advantages at all.

For someone on a budget, owning a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20 or 30 hp tiller engine, an electric bowmount plus a 2 or 3 hp trolling motor is a great but I don't see why a person would want a 90 hp tiller. I'm sure that I am not the only one who thinks this way because I have yet to see a 90 hp tiller. I've seen some large tiller boats on TV but those were fishermen who fished using nets or traps and need an uncluttered boat.

I have two questions for you to answer:

1. Do you fish in bad weather?

2. Do you have a family?

If you fish in bad weather, then you definitely want a console to hid behind in lousy weather.

If you have a family, you might want to consider a full windshield boat. I was convinced that I wanted a console until I showed the pictures of the boat to my wife and she said "what am I suppose to sit behind?" Need I say more?

Here is my ride. I am very happy with the decision as a fish Georgian Bay quite a bit and often take advantage of the full windshield and the standup cover. The more protection that you have on a lousy day, the better your day will be. Rainsuits can be a bummer after a few hours on the water on a cold rainy day. I also have plenty of room to fish in the front or the back. This is a 17 foot boat.

med_gallery_170_217_53577.jpg

I remember watching Gary Roach (Mr. Walleye) on the tube a few years ago and he was fishing from a large LUND, like a 20' Pro V with a huge tiller, but he also had a consol and windshsield in front of him.

I remember thinking what a great idea it was for folks who like tiller but would also like the protection of a windshield.

Myself, I've used both for many many years and would take a consol over a tiller, but that's just my own personal opinion.

But.......when were trolling for muskies in November & December and it's snowin & blowin, I'm always happy I'm fishing from Squids big LUND with the full windshield and canopy :thumbsup_anim:

It's obvious that Tillers cause brain damage!!! :wallbash:

Just a little too close to the fumes!

I have the best of both worlds... I get a windshield and my passengers enjoy the refreshing spray off the lake from the tsunami seat!

DSC00947.jpg